Winter project - Cradle of Starbirth

Roland Christen

Just got around to processing my winter project. Images were taken back in February on one bitter cold clear night at our northern Illinois observatory.
This much-photographed object is still one of my favorites of the winter sky. It brings back fond memories of my youth, first observing it with a small 30mm achromat lens when I lived in Canada.

https://www.astrobin.com/aqv6e3/0/

Jeff B

Really nice Roland and one of my favorites too, in fact, the very first deep sky object I saw with my first telescope, a Sears 2" F11 achromat.

I've noticed that you and other skilled imagers manage to bring out a decided 3D effect on this nebula, almost like I'm peering down into it.

Thanks!

Jeff

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 12:51 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just got around to processing my winter project. Images were taken back in February on one bitter cold clear night at our northern Illinois observatory.
This much-photographed object is still one of my favorites of the winter sky. It brings back fond memories of my youth, first observing it with a small 30mm achromat lens when I lived in Canada.

Marcelo Figueroa

Fantastic image. It never ceases to amaze how much detail can be captured with Ha only.

Eric Weiner

Roland,
At the risk of opening up a can of worms (sooo many opinions on this matter), do you mind if ask what the passband width of H-alpha filter you used for this image is?  It seems like it would necessarily need to be fairly wide with 10s subs.  But then again, M42 is pretty bright.

Eric

Roland Christen

It's 5 nm. The 10 sec exposures are for the Trapezium stars and the surrounding area. More than 10 seconds and the Trapezium stars would begin to saturate and bloat out.

Roland

At the risk of opening up a can of worms (sooo many opinions on this matter), do you mind if ask what the passband width of H-alpha filter you used for this image is?  It seems like it would necessarily need to be fairly wide with 10s subs.  But then again, M42 is pretty bright.

Eric

Eric Weiner

👍 Thanks.