Who needs absolute encoders!

Tom Blahovici

Seriously, tonight I had an amazing session with my AP600 but only later at night imaging west of the meridian ( 0.45).   When on the east it was much worse. 0.8RMS tracking.  The mount is balanced to be heavy, on the east side of the mount
Balance? I can't seem to figure it out.
But excellent results.

Dean Jacobsen

Edited

I do!  I haven’t used my guidescope/guide camera for so long I have forgotten where I put it. 🙂

All of my non-encoder AP mounts were phenomenal performers though.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Ray Gralak

Excellent result, Tom!

Could the West's better tracking be that seeing was better later in the evening or in that part of the sky?

-Ray

Seriously, tonight I had an amazing session with my AP600 but only later at night imaging west of the meridian (
0.45). When on the east it was much worse. 0.8RMS tracking. The mount is balanced to be heavy, on the east
side of the mount
Balance? I can't seem to figure it out.
But excellent results.

Jeff B

Either way it shows what the old iron...I mean aluminum.....is capable of.

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 11:28 AM Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:
Excellent result, Tom!

Could the West's better tracking be that seeing was better later in the evening or in that part of the sky?

-Ray

Tom Blahovici

Yes, the more and more experience I get, the more I notice the effects of seeing. In fact, the drift I would see imaging east of the meridian did not show up like other days. Dec guiding was great. Only RA was off .
Not only that, the abberatiins I have seen in my FSQ, are pretty well non-existent.
Tom

Joseph Beyer

This is interesting.  One of the best things I've done to help my imaging with my 2017 Mach1 is to buy APCC-Pro and build a model each time I set up and just retire the guide scope.  I live about 25 miles south of San Francisco on the peninsula and it's common to have several 20-30 minute periods or more during the night when the seeing just goes crazy bad and the guide plot is everywhere.  Later in the night, say 2-3 am, while the telescope is pointing west over the ocean things often smooth out incredibly well.

Since I started using the model and removed the guide scope I routinely take 3 minute sub images with perfectly round stars through my FSQ-106.  There are nights where there's no doubt the seeing is distorting the star shape but it's not as bad as the effect of the seeing in the image plus the guider trying to adjust for the degradation in the atmospheric conditions.

M Hambrick

Are there any users out there with absolute encoder equipped mounts who set up and take down their rig every observing session ? If so, what has been your experience with the absolute encoders ? Are they worth having on a portable setup ?

I am asking because I am thinking about upgrading my 1100 mount to absolute encoders, and I set it up and take it down each session.

Mike