From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...>
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2020 9:34 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Which to Choose; Absolute Encoders or 92 mm Stowaway

I am somewhere on the waiting list for one of the 92 mm Stowaway refractors, and I currently own an 1100GTO mount without absolute encoders. Someday, lady luck may finally shine her light on me and I will get notified that there will be a Stowaway available for me to order. I am also seriously thinking about upgrading my 1100 mount with the absolute encoders. The financial controller at my house tells me that I have to pick between the scope or the mount upgrade. I would be interested to hear comments from the other members which they would choose. I do almost exclusively imaging, and I already own two nice refractors; a recently upgraded Astro-Physics 180EDT, and a Tele-Vue NP101is. Choices. Choices

Keith

Buy the Stowaway, sell the Tele-Vue and then buy the encoders.

I guess i am the odd one out - i would pick the encoders

you have some great scopes there, time to put them to even better use!

--
Brian

Brian Valente

dvjbaja

Guess I'm really odd.  In over 40 years of imaging, I've never needed a mount with absolute encoders and I have had a wee bit of success with my images.  Always go for the gold!  The Telescope!  Sell your 1100, get the Mach 2.  Problem solved. In fact, that's my decision. I have a new 1100 but if the Mach 2 has the load bearing capability as described, it's smaller size would make life a little easier.    ;-)

J. Gleason.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 10:12 AM Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill Long

Do not sell the 1100! It is the best mount A-P makes for all around use IMHO. VERY portable, excellent and spacious cabling system, support for encoders, high weight capacity, and the list just goes on and on.

[...]

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

Go for the encoders.

The 92's will be more and more available as time goes on. I plan another run after #3 is finished (unless the virus gets me).

From:        "Bill Long" <bill@...>
To:        "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        2020-04-23 12:25 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

Do not sell the 1100! It is the best mount A-P makes for all around use IMHO. VERY portable, excellent and spacious cabling system, support for encoders, high weight capacity, and the list just goes on and on.

Re: [ap-gto] Which to Choose; Absolute Encoders or 92 mm Stowaway

[...]

portfolio brianvalentephotography.com  [nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com]

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

I still have the old 800 mount that I need to figure out what I am going to do with it.
Give it to a local kid who is just starting out in astronomy. That, and a scope you are no longer using. Have him/her mow your lawn as payment ;^))

From:        "Bill Long" <bill@...>
To:        "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        2020-04-23 12:25 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

[...]

Christopher Erickson

That is EXACTLY how I got my first scope!

A Sears 60mm refractor on an Alt-Az mount. 50 years ago I mowed their lawn for an entire summer to get that scope.

From:        "Bill Long" <bill@...>
To:        "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        2020-04-23 12:25 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

[...]

Robert Chozick

I have a 900 and I think the ability to split the axis for lower weight to carry makes a 900 or 1100 much more portable than the Mach 1 or 2. One of the reasons I changed from the Mach 1 to my 900 was because the Mach 1 was too heavy for me to carry.   I wish the Mach 2 was made with a split axis. For that reason I could never own a Mach 2.

Robert

From:        "Bill Long" <bill@...>
To:        "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        2020-04-23 12:25 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

[...]

What's the max weight you would carry?

From:        "Bill Long" <bill@...>
To:        "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        2020-04-23 12:25 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

[...]

Brilliant minds think alike!

By the way, a scope and mount could launch another amateur astronomer, a hobby that is getting more and more grey. Ant it would get a kid off of those damnable twitter phones for a while, to enjoy one of nature's most beautiful reality shows.

From:        "Bill Long" <bill@...>
To:        "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        2020-04-23 12:25 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

[...]

No stated limit. Whatever falls somewhere in between the two items.  I generally do not ever pick up anything heavy. My back is not great.

Robert

From:        "Bill Long" <bill@...>
To:        "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        2020-04-23 12:25 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

[...]

That is a great suggestion. I have also thought about donating it to a local school. Only bad thing is I kept the pier to use with my 1100 mount.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

The Mach1 was the same weight as the RA axis of the 1100 mount ~ 28 lb. So why do you think the 1100 was much more portable than the Mach1?

If we could somehow split the Mach2 so that the heaviest part is less than 30lb, is that worthwhile?

From:        "Bill Long" <bill@...>
To:        "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        2020-04-23 12:25 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

[...]

School is maybe a bad idea. Teachers don't stay after school in the dark. It probably won't be used.

That is a great suggestion. I have also thought about donating it to a local school. Only bad thing is I kept the pier to use with my 1100 mount.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Bill Long

The Mach 1 is very portable. :)

From:        "Bill Long" <bill@...>
To:        "main@ap-gto.groups.io" <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Date:        2020-04-23 12:25 PM
Sent by:        main@ap-gto.groups.io

[...]

Ken M

If I may say so - when I weigh my MACH1 GTO and 1100 RA (no encoders) both 2018 models-

The MACH1 GTO is 31 lbs

The 1100 GTO RA is 27lbs

This is why I like the 1100 so much - it's actually a bit easier to set up (less bulky and lighter) though it takes a bit longer to do so due to the DEC axis (which is even lighter than RA)

Bill Long

This is great news that there will be more Stowaways! :)