Which IPad

thefamily90 Phillips

Having used sky safari pro on my iPhone  for a while I have decided I want a larger screen. Which iPad would you recommend for use with Skye safari?

Best,

JimP 

Woody Schlom

Jim,

I’m not an Apple guy and am not familiar with iPads.  HOWEVER – unless Apple has recently changed their packaging and marketing, you only get built-in GPS if you get an iPad with a modem.  So if you buy an iPad that doesn’t have a modem, you won’t be able to take advantage of the automatic GPS location feature in SkySafari.

Yes, you can still manually input your location.  And if you’re using WiFi, SkySafari will take a location from the WiFi’s signal (which can be way off depending on where the WiFi signal is getting its location from).  But without a built-in GPS, SkySafari can’t do it automatically.  I learned this when I bought an iPad for my brother with the intention of using it on his boat.  I had to buy one with a modem.

Many Android tablets are the same way – but not all.  I learned the hard way.  After my initial mistake I was able to find a Samsung tablet without modem, but with built-in GPS.  But that was years ago.

So if you want to take advantage of SkySafari’s automatic GPS location feature, make sure you buy an iPad with a built-in GPS – which probably means built-in modem too.  You don’t have to activate the iPad with its own cellular account.   But you do have to buy the more expensive version with the cellular modem.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of thefamily90 Phillips
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 1:41 PM
To: AP-GTO Groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Which IPad

Having used sky safari pro on my iPhone  for a while I have decided I want a larger screen. Which iPad would you recommend for use with Skye safari?

Best,

JimP 

thefamily90 Phillips

Ok, thanks very much!

JimP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Woody Schlom <woody_is@...>
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 5:28:30 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Which IPad

Jim,

I’m not an Apple guy and am not familiar with iPads.  HOWEVER – unless Apple has recently changed their packaging and marketing, you only get built-in GPS if you get an iPad with a modem.  So if you buy an iPad that doesn’t have a modem, you won’t be able to take advantage of the automatic GPS location feature in SkySafari.

Yes, you can still manually input your location.  And if you’re using WiFi, SkySafari will take a location from the WiFi’s signal (which can be way off depending on where the WiFi signal is getting its location from).  But without a built-in GPS, SkySafari can’t do it automatically.  I learned this when I bought an iPad for my brother with the intention of using it on his boat.  I had to buy one with a modem.

Many Android tablets are the same way – but not all.  I learned the hard way.  After my initial mistake I was able to find a Samsung tablet without modem, but with built-in GPS.  But that was years ago.

So if you want to take advantage of SkySafari’s automatic GPS location feature, make sure you buy an iPad with a built-in GPS – which probably means built-in modem too.  You don’t have to activate the iPad with its own cellular account.   But you do have to buy the more expensive version with the cellular modem.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of thefamily90 Phillips
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 1:41 PM
To: AP-GTO Groups.io <ap-gto@groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Which IPad

Best,

JimP 

Joseph Bianco

I use an iPad mini with WIFI only and have entered the coordinates of my remote sites using the data from my iPhone and stored the data in my “User-Defined Observing Sites”. I use 10 sites stored from places in the US and Europe. It’s fun to ask SkySafari what would the sky look like from Palermo Italy

Joseph

thefamily90 Phillips

Met some close Amateur Astronomy friends in Palermo many years ago. A very nice time. Wonderful memories.

JimP 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Joseph Bianco <biancojoseph@...>
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 6:35:47 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Which IPad

I use an iPad mini with WIFI only and have entered the coordinates of my remote sites using the data from my iPhone and stored the data in my “User-Defined Observing Sites”. I use 10 sites stored from places in the US and Europe. It’s fun to ask SkySafari what would the sky look like from Palermo Italy

Joseph

John

Aloha Jim,

I have an older iPad2 that I have been using with Sky Safari for the last 4 years or so (even with a cracked display due to dropping it last year at night). 

I didn't like using the WiFi option to control a mount (mostly because I was looking in an eyepiece trying to center something and had to look at the iPad
to find the correct slew buttons again on the iPad and then look in the eyepiece again to see how close I got to re-centering that object).

I use the iPad and Sky Safari now and then mostly for checking how is object is framed by either an eyepiece or camera's sensor (in conjunction with telescope's FR).
I'm sure any of the newer and lighter iPads would be fine!

John