Which GTOCP* connection do you use?

Steven Panish

Also CP3 - RS232 to an ancient usb adapter to a USB3 hub.  Everything else (EFW, camera, focuser, guider, etc) also connects to the USB3 hub, and that is the sole connection to my observatory laptop.  The observatory connects to the home network via a wireless bridge.  The laptop is then accessed remotely through Google Remote Console.

Steve

Kenneth Tan

Thanks! Avoided a disaster 🤪

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 at 23:42, George <george@...> wrote:

Kenneth,

NO…no…no!    Do not even try that.   Your CP5 is personalized to your Mach2.  

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

Email:  george@...

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kenneth Tan
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 3:35 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Which GTOCP* connection do you use?

Can i use the gtocp4 with my mach2 gto? I was toying with the idea as that will allow me to connect it with the ASI air pro which does not seem as yet to support the gtocp5. 

Kenneth 

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 at 16:29, <cargostick@...> wrote:

I should have put keypad as a choice in the poll.

Geof Lewis

The serial connection of my AP1200 GTO CP3 is connected to my laptop via an FTDI serial to USB adapter. The USB end is connected to a powered 7 port USB2 hub, which also services the guide and imaging cameras plus a powered Hitec Mount Hub Pro, which in turn runs my Moonlite focuser and 3 dew straps. There is single USB2 cable between the observatory laptop and USB2 hub.
Regards,

Geof

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of cargostick@... <cargostick@...>
Sent: 15 March 2021 01:28
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] Which GTOCP* connection do you use?

A new poll has been created:

I am toying with connecting via ethernet to save a USB space on my control computer.  I have also ordered an FTDI serial adapter to try that out.  Therefore I should only need 1 USB cable to my entire imaging rig.  What are your connections and why?

1. USB
2. Ethernet
3. WiFi
4. RS-232

Vote Now

Do not reply to this message to vote in the poll. You can vote in polls only through the group's website.

Woody Schlom

Peter,

I believe Optec’s system is called Focuslynx and Starlight Instruments’ system is called Focus Boss.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Nagy
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 9:12 AM

I use Ethernet with CP4 and Optec Focus Boss II along with Ethernet 5 port switch. 

https://peternagy.smugmug.com/Telescopes/Current-Equipment/i-BmcNW77/A

Click on left and right arrows for more pictures.

From back to front:

CP4
Optec Focus Boss II
Ethernet 5 port switch 
Pegasus 6 port USB hub

Note blue Ethernet and USB cables inside braided loom at lower left.

Peter 

W Hilmo

I think that you are right.  I also think that they are the same systems, with just the branding different.

As for the question in the title, I use Ethernet to connect to my CP4 for imaging.

For visual, I initialize the mount with Luminos on my phone.  This initializes the mount with a very accurate time and location, which makes the daytime polar alignment work better.  To actually use the mount for visual observing, I use Sky Safari on my phone for goto and object information.  For centering and manual slewing, I use the keypad.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Woody Schlom
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 12:04 PM

Peter,

I believe Optec’s system is called Focuslynx and Starlight Instruments’ system is called Focus Boss.

Woody

Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 9:12 AM

I use Ethernet with CP4 and Optec Focus Boss II along with Ethernet 5 port switch. 

https://peternagy.smugmug.com/Telescopes/Current-Equipment/i-BmcNW77/A

Click on left and right arrows for more pictures.

From back to front:

CP4
Optec Focus Boss II
Ethernet 5 port switch 
Pegasus 6 port USB hub

Note blue Ethernet and USB cables inside braided loom at lower left.

Peter 

Peter Nagy

Peter,

Woody

Exactly same products, just different brandings and they are all made by Optec. Yes I got the model names backward but makes no difference. 

Peter

W Hilmo

I thought that they were all made by Optec, too.  But I was on the phone with George the other day (ordering a focus motor for my new 130 GTX), and he mentioned that Starlight Instruments makes the motors and Optec does the controllers.

Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 12:36 PM

Peter,

Woody

Exactly same products, just different brandings and they are all made by Optec. Yes I got the model names backward but makes no difference. 

Peter 

Peter Nagy

Interesting, I didn't know that. 

Peter 

Woody Schlom

Peter,

Actually not quite.  I had a conversation with Wayne Schroeder from Starlight Instruments several months ago where he explained that each company makes their own motors now.  It was originally supposed to be a product partnership between the two companies, but something changed.  And now Optec makes their motors and Starlight Instruments makes their own motors.  They’re almost identical and are interchangeable – but each company makes their own motors.

On the other hand, if I understood him correctly, Optec does indeed still make all the controllers – at least the internal electronics and firmware.  Starlight Instruments might make their own metal controller housings.  I’m not clear on that part.  But the systems are interchangeable.

Woody

Peter,

Woody

Peter 

Woody Schlom

Yes, that’s my understanding also after communicating directly with Wayne at Starlight Instruments.

Woody

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of W Hilmo
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 12:56 PM

I thought that they were all made by Optec, too.  But I was on the phone with George the other day (ordering a focus motor for my new 130 GTX), and he mentioned that Starlight Instruments makes the motors and Optec does the controllers.

Peter,

Woody

Peter 

Roger Howard

Nice Eric!

Patrick Spencer

Eric,

That power and data distribution box is amazing! I wish a product like that were available commercially, for those of us who don't have your skills.

Patrick Spencer

Eric Dreher

Thank you, Patrick.  This isn't as difficult as it seems, nor did it turn out to be as inexpensive as I originally thought it might be.  Due to the expense of the internal cables, I think it totaled to about $400 when I was done, but the convenience of having it cuts down my portable astrophotography setup time on my driveway to about 20 minutes.

I tried to find the original CN post wherein a friend of mine in California, A-P family member Glenn Diekmann, inspired the construction with his similar results.  It all starts with the front panel design from https://www.frontpanelexpress.com/.  They have free downloadable software you use to place your design, connectors, etc. to suit your needs.  Have a look-see and decide if that's what you'd like to do.

Or...you could just buy a Pegasus Astro Ultimate Powerbox for about $200 more.  An excellent product, it came out just a couple of months after I finished my distribution box.  That's what I'd do now, though the satisfaction and fun in building what I have was enjoyable.

Eric

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi,

if you can use only USB connections than have a look at the Ultimate Powerbox v2:

I use it and I think it is quite useful and reduce lots of cables.

Konstantin

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171 1983476

Am 16.03.2021 um 14:32 schrieb Patrick Spencer <patrick.spencer2@...>:

Eric,

That power and data distribution box is amazing! I wish a product like that were available commercially, for those of us who don't have your skills.

Patrick Spencer

Patrick Spencer

It appears the Pegasus Powerbox is a more practical solution for someone in my position. But I still think the box you made is really cool.

Eric Dreher

I agree completely, which was why I mentioned it.  If the Pegasus had been out when I built my box, I'd have purchased it instead.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

Kenneth Tan

yup u are right. Thanks for pointing that out. I was not being observant.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 11:46 PM Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

Negative. The CP5 is (currently) unique to the Mach2 because the CP5's motor driving circuitry is for running the unique-to-the-Mach2 brushless servo motors. The CP1/2/3/4 has circuitry for driving the "classic" servo motors that are in the rest of the GTO line, past and present.

You can't even accidentally do this because the CP<=4 classic servos connect with a single connection, where the Mach2+CP5 has separate connections for RA and Dec motor and, if memory serves, the gender and keying of the connectors also differ.

> On Mar 15, 2021, at 04:35, Kenneth Tan <ktanhs@...> wrote:
>
> Can i use the gtocp4 with my mach2 gto? I was toying with the idea as that will allow me to connect it with the ASI air pro which does not seem as yet to support the gtocp5.
>
> Kenneth
>
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 at 16:29, <cargostick@...> wrote:
> I should have put keypad as a choice in the poll.
>
>
>

Kenneth Tan

That's what I assumed but somehow it has not worked. Will try to figure it out again.

Thanks

Ken

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 12:04 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
You cannot plug a Mach2 into a CP4. Plugs are not compatible for one thing.

The CP5 is no different from the CP4 as far as software. If your ASI air will connect to a CP4, then it will also connect to a CP5. There is no difference on the front end.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Mar 15, 2021 3:35 am

Can i use the gtocp4 with my mach2 gto? I was toying with the idea as that will allow me to connect it with the ASI air pro which does not seem as yet to support the gtocp5. 

Kenneth 

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 at 16:29, <cargostick@...> wrote:
I should have put keypad as a choice in the poll.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

John

Aloha All,

I connect to the Mach 2 via Ethernet to the laptop and I really like it.  Haven't used anything else since I got the mount about 6 months ago!
No connectivity issues

John

Kenneth Tan

No problem with laptop. Problem is with the ultraportable asi air pro .... which, otherwise works beautifully with a minimum dangling wires. 

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 at 10:26, John <obee11@...> wrote:
Aloha All,

I connect to the Mach 2 via Ethernet to the laptop and I really like it.  Haven't used anything else since I got the mount about 6 months ago!
No connectivity issues

John