What object to image tonight?

Roland Christen

I have to test some optics and software tonight, and would be imaging wide field with a CMOS camera. Any suggestions for objects to image along the Milky Way?

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

If you have access to southern skies, something south would be nice.

how wide is widefield?

in and around lagoon nebula has some great features and details

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 4:12 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have to test some optics and software tonight, and would be imaging wide field with a CMOS camera. Any suggestions for objects to image along the Milky Way?

Alex

M16 and M17 could be nicely framed on a full frame sensor mounted on something like a 110GTX with a focal reducer.  They're already past the meridian at dusk, so you couldn't get a ton of time on them though.

The North American and Pelican Nebulas would nicely fit as well.  The whole Veil Nebula complex also fits with that setup, something that took 4 panel mosaic on a 130GTX and an APS-C sized sensor when I did it recently.

There's a ton of interesting stuff in Cygnus if you're shooting narrowband.

Alex

Mike Dodd

On 8/31/2022 7:12 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:
I have to test some optics and software tonight, and would be imaging wide field with a CMOS camera. Any suggestions for objects to image along the Milky Way?
I'm going after LBN438 tonight. <https://www.astrobin.com/8iq7ay/> Don't know if that close enough to the Milky Way for you.

--- Mike

Roland Christen

I'm strictly north in Illinois.

If you have access to southern skies, something south would be nice.

Might be too low for me here in Northern Illinois.

in and around lagoon nebula has some great features and details

On Wed, Aug 31, 2022 at 4:12 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I have to test some optics and software tonight, and would be imaging wide field with a CMOS camera. Any suggestions for objects to image along the Milky Way?

Yes, shooting mainly narrowband because of severe local light pollution. Shooting with the 130GTX and 6200 CMOS.

Roland

M16 and M17 could be nicely framed on a full frame sensor mounted on something like a 110GTX with a focal reducer.  They're already past the meridian at dusk, so you couldn't get a ton of time on them though.

The North American and Pelican Nebulas would nicely fit as well.  The whole Veil Nebula complex also fits with that setup, something that took 4 panel mosaic on a 130GTX and an APS-C sized sensor when I did it recently.

There's a ton of interesting stuff in Cygnus if you're shooting narrowband.

Alex

Looks interesting, but probably will be swamped by my local light pollution.

On 8/31/2022 7:12 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:

> I have to test some optics and software tonight, and would be imaging
> wide field with a CMOS camera. Any suggestions for objects to image
> along the Milky Way?

I'm going after LBN438 tonight. <https://www.astrobin.com/8iq7ay/> Don't
know if that close enough to the Milky Way for you.

--- Mike

Pete Mumbower

How about the Veil Nebula, especially in Ha or OIII or both!

Pete

Dean Jacobsen

Sharpless 2-171/NGC 7822 is a good h-alpha target and should be going overhead around 2am or so if you are staying awake that long.

https://www.astrobin.com/364547/E/?nc=&nce=
--
Dean Jacobsen

It's a possibility, but 2am is kinda late since I have to work tomorrow. We'll see if I last that long.

Sharpless 2-171/NGC 7822 is a good h-alpha target and should be going overhead around 2am or so if you are staying awake that long.

https://www.astrobin.com/364547/E/?nc=&nce=
--
Dean Jacobsen

Patrick Sparkman

Wizard Nebula NGC 7380.  Reasonably high and transits around midnight.  Plus, a good NB target and fit for that focal length.

Antoine PAVLIN

Flying Bat Nebula and The Squid in HOO?

Large object, salle fit nicely.

Antoine