What is the current status for Linux / Mac support via INDI or similar?

Henry Kwok

Although I have been using Windows / ASCOM. I am really keen to make a move to Mac/Linux. Software like CCDCiel and Ekos are maturing quickly and more importantly they are much less resource hungry and therefore can be run on low power device like a Raspberry Pi. I am particularly fond of CCDCiel and would like to make it my main imaging software. However the lack of reliable support for Astro-physics mount via INDI and Linux / Mac is preventing me from making the move completely. Specifically, the latest version of the INDI driver for AP mount appears to be problematic for some time.

Is there anyone who is using INDI in linux / Mac with an AP mount? I have a Mach 1 with a GTOCP3 box and V2 firmware, and I am from the Southern Hemisphere if it matters.

Thanks

Bob

I notice there is an active thread on the Indi forums at the moment about this. I find the attitude of a couple of the (I think) Indi devs to be rather surprising, complaining of a lack of support from AP. They seem to think that just because they are open source, everybody else should be.

While it would be great if there was an sdk for the GTOs, I can understand why AP hasn't released one.

Ray Gralak

I notice there is an active thread on the Indi forums at the moment about this. I find the attitude of a couple of the
(I think) Indi devs to be rather surprising, complaining of a lack of support from AP. They seem to think that just
because they are open source, everybody else should be.

While it would be great if there was an sdk for the GTOs, I can understand why AP hasn't released one
This comes up every once in a while. All of the necessary commands to do imaging with an Astro-Physics mount have been documented for a long time. I think some newer commands will be made available, if they haven't been already.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 10:59 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
I notice there is an active thread on the Indi forums at the moment about this. I find the attitude of a couple of the
(I think) Indi devs to be rather surprising, complaining of a lack of support from AP. They seem to think that just
because they are open source, everybody else should be.

While it would be great if there was an sdk for the GTOs, I can understand why AP hasn't released one
This comes up every once in a while. All of the necessary commands to do imaging with an Astro-Physics mount have been documented for a long time. I think some newer commands will be made available, if they haven't been already.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
For my own interest, aside from the basic mount command set which is documented in the cp4 manual, are there any of the algorithms or pseudo code that make up specific functions available? Or is this hitting the ip area?

Micheal Fields Jr

APCC Pro for Linux would be great too.  Being able to do everything on a Raspberry Pi would be great.

Howdy,

Our mount driver is ASCOM compatible, which in current state is suitable for Windows only.  However, our latest utilities are compatible with Mac and Linux computers since they run on Java. First is our FindMounts utility, which can help you with networking diagnostics by finding your CP4 or CP5 on the network. Second is our Serial Utility, which can do a number of really nifty things over serial; loading new CP4/CP5 firmware, a built in command terminal, networking features, and more. It isn't as great as the full APCC suite, but it does allow us to assist customers when we know they may not have the same computers that we do. Finally, the Keypad Update software has been totally overhauled from the ground up for the V5 release, and is tested to work on Windows, Linux and Mac computers, making these latest upgrades more available for the people that need them.

There are numerous planetarium programs for Linux that interact through INDI, that use the community built AP INDI driver.  However, we've not invested significant efforts in testing these options and would have difficulty providing support. Perhaps there are others on this forum that can speak to their experiences with these programs?

In the future, we do intend to release an improved version of our command documentation to the public. New commands for interfacing with the advanced P02 firmware, as well as further detail and explanation of how the commands work, would be the goal. We can't make any hard commitments for a release date or contents for this, but it is on the table. I expect that when this is available, community developers will be quick to implement them into their projects.

Thanks,
Liam Plybon
Astro-Physics

APCC Pro for Linux would be great too.  Being able to do everything on a Raspberry Pi would be great.