From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Peter Nagy <topboxman@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2021 12:21 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: [ap-gto] What does GTO stand for in A-P mounts (i.e. A-P1100GTO)

Title says it all. Does it stand for "Grand Touring Optics". :-)

Is it based on your favorite cars like Pontiac GTO?

Peter

Peter Nagy

That was my thought with a missing "o". Maybe it sounds cool and a reference to many automobiles called "GTO".

Peter

CaptMax

Go to optics?

Chris White

Gran Turismo Omologato?

Christopher Erickson

GTO -> Go TO infinity, and beyond!

-Christopher "insert silliness here" Erickson

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021, 12:24 PM Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
Gran Turismo Omologato?

Michael Kelly

God thats Outstanding!

On Monday, September 27, 2021, 06:40:48 AM EDT, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

GTO -> Go TO infinity, and beyond!

-Christopher "insert silliness here" Erickson

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021, 12:24 PM Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
Gran Turismo Omologato?

fernandorivera3

What about:
Great
Own??

Fernando

Tom Blahovici

Actually, the true story is that 20 years or so ago, the plaques for the first goto mount were sent to the paint shop. When it returned, it was seen they accidentally dropped an O. They stuck with it.

Dean Jacobsen

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 06:24 AM, fernandorivera3 wrote:
What about:
Great
Own??
That’s probably it.

--
Dean Jacobsen

Karen Christen

I’ve been enjoying all your submissions of what GTO stands for.  The truth is, it’s a shortening of GoTo, and a nod to some very cool cars.  We have a bunch of car geeks among the Astro-Folk and they like to name things after them, hence the Gran Turismo, Mach1 & 2, etc.  So no one wins the guessing game.  But my personal favorite entry goes to…

>>Michael Kelly:  God That’s Outstanding!

Karen

AP