Weird behavior after CP5 FW upgrade

Sébastien Doré

Hello,

I just upgraded my CP5 to VCP5-P02-11 (from VCP5-P02-10) and since then, APCC fails to connect to the mount immediately after a power cycle.

I use Ethernet (TCP) as a primary connection method and serial COM5 (USB) as a backup. All cables between PC and CP5 are almost new, good quality and 3ft long.

Download of FW seemed to have succeeded as the procedure went smoothly (I scrupulously followed the instructions in the zip file so I don't think I missed anything but who knows...)

So here is what happened after the upgrade :
  1. I power-cycled the mount.

  2. I fired up APCC and hit "Connect" -> APCC complains there's no mount and tries backup connection (sometimes it succeeds to connect to backup, sometimes not).

  3. When it does not, I hit "Disconnect" and then "Connect" again and it connects properly and I get the Initialization window. I click "OK" and hear the usual beep from the CP5.

  4. At this point, mount is configured to unpark with tracking = zero, which it does correctly.

  5. I then slewed to a random place and then went in the park tab to park to park 3. After I confirmed I wanted to park, APPC immediately states the mount is slewing (but it is not) and then pops-up the "settling" and then "parked" messages. The mount didn't move at all (AFAICT).

  6. A few seconds (5 to 10) after that, the mount starts slewing  (at 600x, which is correct) to the commanded position and parks properly...  (head scratching)

  7. At this point I decided to re-do the upgrade but I ended up with the same result as above everytime I power-cycle.

  8. So, APCC-log-zip it is and post. Here I am.
It almost feels as if the CP5 is suffering from a major lag when first power it  up. As if it now needs a minute or two to fully wake up for before I can attempt any connection with APPC...

Also, not sure if that's relevant, but I have a keypad connected in EXT mode (but  I disconnected it during the upgrade). It is running the FW 5.009 (DB 02).

Running APCC's latest version: 1.9.3.3.

APCC logs are attached.

Thanks for your help,

Sébastien

Ray Gralak

Were you running APCC while uploading the firmware? That might make the mount act weird.

Besides about a dozen failed requests in a row, maybe during mount programming if you were running APCC, I don't see any issues. The
mount is responding to commands afterward.

-Ray

I just upgraded my CP5 to VCP5-P02-11 (from VCP5-P02-10) and since then, APCC fails to connect to the
mount immediately after a power cycle.

I use Ethernet (TCP) as a primary connection method and serial COM5 (USB) as a backup. All cables between
PC and CP5 are almost new, good quality and 3ft long.

Download of FW seemed to have succeeded as the procedure went smoothly (I scrupulously followed the
instructions in the zip file so I don't think I missed anything but who knows...)

So here is what happened after the upgrade :

1. I power-cycled the mount.
2.

3. I fired up APCC and hit "Connect" -> APCC complains there's no mount and tries backup connection
(sometimes it succeeds to connect to backup, sometimes not).
4.

5. When it does not, I hit "Disconnect" and then "Connect" again and it connects properly and I get the
Initialization window. I click "OK" and hear the usual beep from the CP5.

6.

7. At this point, mount is configured to unpark with tracking = zero, which it does correctly.
8.

9. I then slewed to a random place and then went in the park tab to park to park 3. After I confirmed I
wanted to park, APPC immediately states the mount is slewing (but it is not) and then pops-up the "settling"
and then "parked" messages. The mount didn't move at all (AFAICT).
10.

11. A few seconds (5 to 10) after that, the mount starts slewing (at 600x, which is correct) to the
commanded position and parks properly... (head scratching)
12.

13. At this point I decided to re-do the upgrade but I ended up with the same result as above everytime I
power-cycle.
14.

15. So, APCC-log-zip it is and post. Here I am.