VPort1 error on APCC

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

Hi all … interesting issue last evening.

Last night, while running a NINA sequence to take 24 O3 and S2 subs of the Medusa nebula, an interesting problem/issue occurred. Between subs 12 and 13 (1:00AM and 1:11AM) the image shifted in RA a little bit. APCC reported two errors, one at 1:03:10 and the other at 1:03:39. The text of both messages are shown below:

Sub System        Error Type           Error Message

1:03:10                  VPort1                  Fault                      Recal failed because it is too far (17.696 > 5.00 degrees) from current RA/DEC

1:03:39                  VPort1                  Fault                      Recal failed because it is too far (17.702 > 5.00 degrees) from current RA/DEC

The sequence completed, all subs were taken. The telescope was commanded to park (Park 5) at the end of the sequence.  When I checked it early this morning it was close to the park 5 position, but off a bit in RA.  Dec was fine; RA off by about an hour (give or take) to the east. I commanded it to park 3, and then had to loosen the clutches to get the RA back to the home position (turned west).

Any idea what may have happened?

Mikey

Michael "Mikey" Mangieri

Astronomy and Rocketry stuff at SkyAndRockets

Astronomy photos taken by Mikey at Astrobin

Mikey’s Astrophotos for sale at mdastro.com

Member of Maryland Delaware Rocketry Association (MDRA) --- L3 - NAR#  80259

Member of Westminster Astronomical Society Inc. (WASI)

Listen to Mikey's Music at The Music of Epaphras; Buy at iTunes and other online services

Embroidery and Quilting Website and Store :   Maryland Fiber Arts, LLC

eBay and etsy shops:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/MdFiberArts

https://www.ebay.com/str/marylandfiberarts

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

Oh, I forgot.  I have a AP1100 mount, APCC Pro.

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2023 12:04 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] VPort1 error on APCC

Last night, while running a NINA sequence to take 24 O3 and S2 subs of the Medusa nebula, an interesting problem/issue occurred. Between subs 12 and 13 (1:00AM and 1:11AM) the image shifted in RA a little bit. APCC reported two errors, one at 1:03:10 and the other at 1:03:39. The text of both messages are shown below:

1:03:10                  VPort1                  Fault                      Recal failed because it is too far (17.696 > 5.00 degrees) from current RA/DEC

1:03:39                  VPort1                  Fault                      Recal failed because it is too far (17.702 > 5.00 degrees) from current RA/DEC

The sequence completed, all subs were taken. The telescope was commanded to park (Park 5) at the end of the sequence.  When I checked it early this morning it was close to the park 5 position, but off a bit in RA.  Dec was fine; RA off by about an hour (give or take) to the east. I commanded it to park 3, and then had to loosen the clutches to get the RA back to the home position (turned west).

Mikey

Michael "Mikey" Mangieri

Listen to Mikey's Music at The Music of Epaphras; Buy at iTunes and other online services

Luca Marinelli

Mikey,

Was this the first time you imaged after Daylight savings time change? That could explain the behavior. 

The first imaging session after the time chsnge I had to uncheck the “prevent Errant Recals” checkbox in Advanced Options to allow plate solving to complete successfully, even after the mount was initialized with the new UTC offset.

Cheers, 

Luca

On Mar 22, 2023, at 12:03 AM, Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri via groups.io <mjmangieri@...> wrote:

Mikey

Michael "Mikey" Mangieri

Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri

Luca,

Actually, yes, this was the first session since the time change.  Interesting.  Next clear night will see if everything works OK.  Like I said, the images were all taken just fine, it was just the odd parking position that got my attention (and those APCC errors).

Do I uncheck the “prevent Errant Recals” checkbox, or just leave everything as is?

Mikey

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luca Marinelli
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2023 6:44 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] VPort1 error on APCC

Mikey,

Was this the first time you imaged after Daylight savings time change? That could explain the behavior. 

The first imaging session after the time chsnge I had to uncheck the “prevent Errant Recals” checkbox in Advanced Options to allow plate solving to complete successfully, even after the mount was initialized with the new UTC offset.

Cheers, 

Luca

On Mar 22, 2023, at 12:03 AM, Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri via groups.io <mjmangieri@...> wrote:

Mikey

Michael "Mikey" Mangieri

Luca Marinelli

For me, the first plate solve after the time change failed because the recal was off by 15 degrees. I unchecked the prevent errant recal checkbox, allowed the 15 degree recal to go through and then checked the box again. All is good after that first recal with APCC and the box can stay checked.

Luca

On Mar 22, 2023, at 9:14 PM, Michael 'Mikey' Mangieri via groups.io <mjmangieri@...> wrote:

Luca,

Actually, yes, this was the first session since the time change.  Interesting.  Next clear night will see if everything works OK.  Like I said, the images were all taken just fine, it was just the odd parking position that got my attention (and those APCC errors).

Do I uncheck the “prevent Errant Recals” checkbox, or just leave everything as is?

Mikey

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luca Marinelli
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2023 6:44 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] VPort1 error on APCC

Mikey,

Cheers, 

Luca

Mikey

Michael "Mikey" Mangieri