Virtual Ports - can not create

S Berrada

Hi

I am having difficulty getting APCC to create virtual ports for the ASCOM driver.

On the APCC connection box, I clicked on « auto config » and it was successful.
But when I click on « create virtual port «  it gives an error which appears to be related to APCC requesting the creation of virtual port in windows (see image).  Error says « failed to create virtual port 20: exception of type ´system.windows.forms, AX host + invalid Xstat e exception ´ was thrown.

i did the following additional checks:
- I ensured both ASCOM and APCC have same virtual port.
- i tried changing port numbers from 18/19 to 20/21 to 31/32 but no success (device manager shows port 14 which connects the mount to APCC)
- i shut down and restarted computer
- verified latest version of ASCOM and APCC pro

I am trying to set up a Mach 2 for thé first time and APCC Connects the mount but not NINA (because no virtual port).
i have done this before with an AP1100 without any issues.

Any help would be appreciated

Sam

Ray Gralak

Hi Sam,

Some users have had trouble with the Eltima Virtual ports running on their computers. Instead, go into the ASCOM driver setup and select “IP Addr” and APCC REST API, as shown in this screenshot:

-Ray

[...]

Thank you very much for the quick reply Ray.

I set up the ASCOM as suggested, but It does not work.

Here are images of what my setup looks like.

Note that I am connected on USB cable.

When APCC loads, it gives an yellow  pop up « error creating virtual port 1 control ……. »

When i click on  ‘auto config now’ it says successful but when I click on «connect », it gives an error

I also tried removing the virtual ports to « none » but still no luck.

I also tried entering (in the APCC connection box) the IP address which appears (grey) in ASCOM, but that did not work either.

If I use your suggested ASCOM selection (Ie IP address), do my selections in the APCC connections box look like they are setup properly (see image)?

I appreciate your help

 Sam

Ray Gralak

You may have to also enable REST API in APCC's Advanced Settings, on the API tab. Restart APCC after that if it wasn't enabled.

-Ray

Thank you very much for the quick reply Ray.

I set up the ASCOM as suggested, but It does not work.

Here are images of what my setup looks like.

Note that I am connected on USB cable.

When APCC loads, it gives an yellow pop up « error creating virtual port 1 control ……. »

When i click on ‘auto config now’ it says successful but when I click on «connect », it gives an error

I also tried removing the virtual ports to « none » but still no luck.

I also tried entering (in the APCC connection box) the IP address which appears (grey) in ASCOM, but that did not
work either.

If I use your suggested ASCOM selection (Ie IP address), do my selections in the APCC connections box look like
they are setup properly (see image)?

I appreciate your help

Sam

Ray Gralak

And just to be clear, you won't need the virtual ports when using REST.

_Ray

Thank you very much for the quick reply Ray.

I set up the ASCOM as suggested, but It does not work.

Here are images of what my setup looks like.

Note that I am connected on USB cable.

When APCC loads, it gives an yellow pop up « error creating virtual port 1 control ……. »

When i click on ‘auto config now’ it says successful but when I click on «connect », it gives an error

I also tried removing the virtual ports to « none » but still no luck.

I also tried entering (in the APCC connection box) the IP address which appears (grey) in ASCOM, but that did not
work either.

If I use your suggested ASCOM selection (Ie IP address), do my selections in the APCC connections box look like
they are setup properly (see image)?

I appreciate your help

Sam

S Berrada

Hi Ray,

It worked - thank you very much !

it must be something specific with the computer / windows because my other computer is able to create virtual ports - main thing is that it is now working.

Kind regards
Sam

Stacey Mills

Hard (impossible) to believe that Eltima can't recreate this problem since it is EXTREMELY common.  I encountered it today when trying to install APCC on a laptop running Windows 7.  The Rest_API seems to solve the problem.  One minor issue I haven't figured out is how to get the API to connect to the ASCOM V2 driver automatically.  I have to hit the second "Connect" button to get it to work.  I must be missing something simple

Thanks, Stacey

johnlawler@...

Hello Ray,

I'm having same problems as OP in this thread, but solutions still don't allow the creation of virtual Ports.

I have brand new laptop running win11 Pro, all updated.
Here's a list of hardware/software:

Mach2 mount with CP5, upgraded to firmware version VCP5-PO2-15
ASCOM Platform v6.6.00
V2 driver v.5.50.03
APCC Pro (full license) v. 1.9.4.3

I installed V2 driver and APCC, and connected to mount, no problem (i'm using serial to serial, 9-pin connector), and the mount responded to all commands.  But, I was not able to create any virtual ports.  All attempts gave error messages. This was all with driver configured for virtual port, in settings.  So I found this thread and tried using IP address and APCC Rest API; enabled REST API in advanced settings (at default TCP address 60001). Then restarted APCC, got boot up message that virtual ports were not able to connect, then APCC loaded.  I tried creating virtual ports com21 and com 22, and still got error messages.

Then I reread this thread and noticed you posted, "You won't need virtual ports when using Rest."  I don't have any other programs loaded to connect to mount via APCC.

This is my first time running mount from computer and I really want to get this part correct, so that when I start adding Planetarium, capture, focuser software, etc, I have the V2 driver and APCC correctly configured.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
John

Hi John

Have you tried switching to the REST API? it's an alternative to the virtual ports

Brian

On Sun, Oct 30, 2022 at 11:59 PM <johnlawler@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I reconfigured to Rest API and enabled it in APCC. I can communicate with mount. I then tried to configure the APCC virtual ports (4) to “none”. I was getting some error messages after this step, when pressing the “now button to reconfigure the V2 driver. Then I tried to connect telescope to NINA. The AP driver appeared in the dropdown menu, but would not connect to the AP driver.

I had both instruction manuals ( for driver and APCC Printed and bound in hardcopy) sitting next to me and my mount all day Saturday and Sunday trying to get this correct.

After NINA wouldn’t connect I figured this:
1. AP driver is connected to my mount, but nothing else can communicate with it.
2. I have done one or many things incorrectly
3. I have no idea how Rest API works because it’s the first I’ve heard of it.
4. This shouldn’t be this difficult.

Also, yesterday, after a good night’s sleep, I decided to uninstall both APCC and V2 driver and start over step-by step. I did that, initially configuring APCC in Rest API mode. But it still self populated virtual ports for COM21and COM 22, and all my SITE Info self populated as well. So I am confused about what is going on with saved files after uninstall, and reinstall in the AP driver, APCC and in ASCOM platform.  I read one of Ray Gralek’s posts somewhere yesterday saying some to the effect, if you reconfigure the AP driver using the APCC NOW button it does some permanent changes to the ASCOM platform as well? That is past my paygrade and I feel like I don’t know how to proc at this point. I have more questions and statements, but this is enough for one post.

Thank you,
John

Howard Hedlund

Hi John,

Delete the following files along with your uninstall to get rid of all your settings as well.  This should clear up the program's attempts to use the virtual ports.

If you have more issues, give us a call at AP and we can assist.
HKH

Howard Hedlund

IMPORTANT!!   I forgot to add that if / when you do this, you will lose all your setttings.  Don't delete the old settings files.  Simply rename them.
HKH