From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Nov 7, 2022 9:10 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Variable guiding speed?

I’m just getting familiarized with the new keypad for my 1600 GTO mount. I have RTFM, but I can’t find a way to change the slew speed for the directional buttons on the keypad. Centering an object for calibration can’t be done with precision using what is apparently the default slew speed. I would expect this to be changeable. Am I missing something?

–howard

Howard Ritter

Thanks, Dean —

You must have a different manual version from mine, which is dated June 20, 2022, v5.010. In mine, page 23 is in the middle of the section on Object Catalogs and Tours and makes no mention of changing the button rate.

But your suggestion made me think it might be in the same section, but on a different page, in my edition of the manual. Sho ‘nuf, I found what you’re probably referring to on p. 20, under Objects Menu — Have Some Fun!, buried in a section called “Tips for Using the Buttons and Menus“. They’re also buried inside one of the bullet points describing the functions of the +/- button on p. 8.

I would have expected these instructions to have appeared primarily in the description of the directional buttons and secondarily elsewhere.

May I respectfully suggest that in the next edition of the manual, this handy tip on changing the slew rate be included in the description of the directional buttons?

–howard

On Nov 7, 2022, at 15:46, Dean Jacobsen <deanjacobsen@...> wrote:

Page 23 of my keypad manual describes how to change the “button rate”.  Is this what you are looking for?
--
Dean Jacobsen

Dean Jacobsen

Yes, it looks like my manual is an older version.  Look on page 18 at the bottom of the page in
the “Main Menu Functions” section.
--
Dean Jacobsen

Howard Ritter

Dean, I guess it’s time for me to subject myself to a public shaming. Yes, it’s there, just as you said. Apparently, when I use the term RTFM, it means “Rushed Through F[actory] Manual“!

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 03:28 PM, Howard Ritter wrote:
Dean, I guess it’s time for me to subject myself to a public shaming. Yes, it’s there, just as you said. Apparently, when I use the term RTFM, it means “Rushed Through F[actory] Manual“!
Let’s not get carried away here.  :-)  There is a lot in the manual.  I like the keypad.  It is a nice tool.  Back in the old days that is what I used to initialize the mount and slew to objects.  If you are a visual observer, be sure and check out the “Tour Objects within Constellations” on page 23.  I have spent many pleasant hours taking the guided tours.

--
Dean Jacobsen

Nathan Myhrvold

That’s now how I have expanded the RTFM acronym…..

Nathan

Astrobin Image Gallery - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/