From: ap-gto@... [mailto:ap-gto@...]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2019 8:28 AM
To: chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>
Subject: Fwd: [ap-gto] Using the GTO keypad with the Mach2

A few more questions for the Mach2.

First, what is the counterweight need for the Mach2?  I was surprised about the larger mounts needing from 90-120% of the weight of the load.   Is this what I can expect for the Mach2 as well?  I do understand that part of this will depend on how far the load is from the axis, and right now I’m planning side-by-side mounting of scope/guide scope to keep things close to the axis.    I know this isn’t ideal and I’ll have to deal with unequal scope-saddle movement.

Secondly, I notice that the power needs show 12V/24V and 5A continuous.   Should this really be 60W continuous (12V, 5A) or will it really draw 120W (5A) at 24V?    Is this the result of the high holding current of micro-steppers on the mount?  I know when I saw the demo at NEAF the mount was resisting and correcting for bumps/wind.    I also remember hearing at some point that the mount will still track well with 20 pounds of imbalance, am I remembering this right?     I think I’ll be happy that I purchased the mighty-max sealed 55AH battery rather than the ubiquitous battery boxes with lights which contain tiny little batteries (although my arms and back will never forgive me).

Third, I’ve heard that the encoders will give me peace of mind because the mount will always know where it is.   I think I know what it means, but just to make sure my understanding is correct:    The mount knowing where it’s pointing, really only refers to knowing the absolute position of the shafts, and has nothing to do with knowing the absolute position of where the mount is pointing (the sky).   Even assuming perfect polar alignment, the mount still can’t understand where it’s pointing without some initial synchronization with at least a star or three or a model of the sky.   With a model plus the encoders, then you’ll know the absolute position (I think).  Am I thinking of this correctly?

And how practical is it to create a model of the sky when you’re using the mount in a non-permanent way?   Can I create a model in less than an hour, or is this a long process only really intended for permanent mounting and for mobile users we’ll just do a few star synchronization after polar alignment (I guess a model of sorts)?

Lastly for Mr. A-P himself, I’ve addressed you as both Roland and Rolando, and am getting uncomfortable with this ambiguity.   Everywhere outside of this forum, I’ve seen the name listed as Roland, but your signature here is shown as Rolando.   How do you prefer to be addressed?    It may seem a silly question, but I think it’s important to use the form/spelling of your name as you prefer.   I do understand they are forms of the same name.

Terri

Begin forwarded message:

From: Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@gmail..com>

Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Using the GTO keypad with the Mach2

Date: September 15, 2019 at 10:47:33 AM EDT

To: "chris1011@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>

Rolando, I’ve just placed my order for all accessories including a keypad with my vendor.    Should I have waited on the keypad until the Mach2 is shipping, or is this a pretty transparent change that I’ll just get software updates for?   Just want to make sure I’m not missing something by purchasing the keypad early.

Terri

On Sep 14, 2019, at 5:46 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Nothing has changed on the keypad physically.. Some of the buttons may change function. We don't have a final software set yet. We are adding in some things that will be very useful to imagers.

Also will they be the same form factor,  i’ve just gotten used to the buttons

Tom Fischer

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 12:42 deanjacobsen@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks Roland.

When do you anticipate that the Mach2 manual and the CP5 manual will make its way to the support page?

Dean Jacobsen

Wayne Hixson

Hi Terri, I too am waiting for a Mach2 in November. Especially excited about the ‘always Knows where it is’ feature, allowing me to loosen the clutches for balancing and manual slewing without going through the ‘manually park in park 3, park to current position, unpark from
Park 3 and then realigning on a star or doing a platesolve to recover’ dance.

Regarding power, Did you consider going to one of the new Lithium chemistry battery systems? All my Astro power headaches pretty much went away when I got a Renogy Lycan powerbox and 200 watt solar panel system. Now using a GoalZero Yeti 1400. Less than 50 lbs and about 100 aHours at 12v with more generous discharge characteristics allowing deeper discharge before recharging. Includes USB regular, USB-C high current, power pole 12v DC out and pure sine wave AC Inverter out. Expensive up front, but longer lifetime. Something to think about.

Terri Zittritsch

Hi Karen, thank you for the response.. good to hear from you too.   So you satisfied my curiosity on this one.. as I was wondering if the signature was some kind of inside thing known only to long-time forum users, and given most users address your father as Roland, when he signs as Rolando, I just had to ask to make sure I wasn’t doing it wrong.   But it seems not, so exotic Rolando it will be.    I looked up Rolando, and at least one meaning for Spanish, Italian and Portuguese is "famous throughout the land", which seems appropriate in our hobby.

I’m very excited to own one of your products and I’ll have to decide if I’m brave enough to post any of my AP results.… you have some incredibly talented users, including your father.  Being an early customer of Adam Block, when he was selling video’s out of the University of Arizona, I made the mistake of showing him some of my early DSLR AP work, and it brought me down to earth, kind of down to where the ants roam….

One of the things I’m still wondering how to do, is how to alert my fellow astro-club members that they should expect 2-3 of months clouds around every new moon once I receive delivery.

best,
Terri

[...]

mike.hambrick@...

OK Now I understand. I always wondered where Roland's Forum handle "uncarollo2" came from (still not sure about the 2 at the end though).

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

From:        "Karen karen@... [ap-gto]" <ap-gto@...>
To:        "ap-gto@..." <ap-gto@...>
Date:        09/18/2019 11:38 AM
Sent by:        ap-gto@...

From: Thomas Fischer
manusfisch@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...>
Also will they be the same form factor,  i’ve just gotten used to the buttons

Tom Fischer

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 12:42 deanjacobsen@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks Roland.

When do you anticipate that the Mach2 manual and the CP5 manual will make its way to the support page?

Dean Jacobsen

Terri Zittritsch

Hi Wayne, I’ve not gotten any firm delivery dates yet, I’m just hoping that I can enjoy it a little before the numbing cold hits.

I looked up the power source you’re using and it’s quite exotic.  I’m not sure I need anything quite like that yet.    Although, if the mount will really use 5A continuous, I’ll have to check what the draw is for my other components.   So far, I’ve been able to run everything (Camera, cooler, focuser, mount, guider) on the one battery as long as I’ve wanted without putting a dent it its capacity.   And been able to charge it back fully during the daytime.   But I know my current mounts don’t use anywhere near 5A continuous.    Most of the time I run off of AC at home, so it’s only when at a star party that I need the big battery, like at the WSP this year with the power still out due to Irma.   I do have a nice Maxoak Li-Ion battery pack with both 12 and 5 volt outputs, that I purchased for doing outreach.    And for outreach I use a meade SCT most of the time as it’s most convenient, low power,  and has a good susceptibility to bumps and tugs.

Terri

On Sep 18, 2019, at 1:53 PM, wayneh9026@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Woody Schlom <woody@...>

Terri,

Unless I completely misunderstand the mount, it only draws high current (5A for example) while slewing at the fastest speed. Slower slewing speeds use less power and tracking uses almost no power at all.

So if you use the mount for public outreach where you might be slewing all over the sky at top speed, then it’ll use more battery power. But if you use it for imaging, where the mount just tracks for hours, it won’t use any more than you’re used to.

Woody

On Sep 18, 2019, at 1:53 PM, wayneh9026@... <mailto:wayneh9026@...> [ap-gto] <ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto@...> > wrote:

[...]

Hi Woody, I think you misunderstood, or more likely I wasn’t that clear.    I will not be using the Mach2 for outreach.   I find that equatorial mounts are more difficult for outreach versus a simple alt-az mount, like a fork mount SCT or something like the DM6, but I like the fork mount SCT because it tracks and I can have a whole line of people looking without worrying about whether I need to re-center the object or not.    I will use the mach2 at star parties and for imaging.    I’m curious as to what the constant current is during tracking, and I’m thinking it might be higher than other mounts given it has pretty good holding power.   I guess we’ll hear from Rolando about this.

Terri

On Sep 18, 2019, at 4:36 PM, 'Woody Schlom' woody@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Got it – and 100% agree on Alt/Az for outreach. I no longer use my Mach1 for outreach.

My point is that that these mounts use very little power while tracking, but lots of power when slewing at top speed. So if you’re not slewing around at top speed, the mounts use little power. And if you are concerned about power consumption, you can set the mount’s maximum slew speed to be slower than top speed – and therefore use less power.

I have the power specs for my Mach1 and A-P’s larger non-encoder mounts using the old CP3 controller, but haven’t seen the various power specs for the Mach2 while tracking and slewing.

For comparison, the Mach1 draws 0.3 – 0.5 amps at 13.8v tracking. The huge A-P 3600GTO draws 0.4 – 0.8 amps at 15v.

So even if the new Mach2 draws twice as much power while tracking, it’s not that much.

Woody

On Sep 18, 2019, at 1:53 PM, <mailto:wayneh9026@...> wayneh9026@... < <mailto:wayneh9026@...> mailto:wayneh9026@...> [ap-gto] < <mailto:ap-gto@...> ap-gto@... < <mailto:ap-gto@...> mailto:ap-gto@...> > wrote:

[...]

The mount draws less than 1 amp when tracking, which is what it will do most of the time. When slewing, the mount will draw anywhere from 2.5 to 4.5 amps, depending on slew speed. The mount comes with a 24 volt 10 amp power supply. The mount can also be operated from a 12 volt battery, in which case it will be limited to 1200x max slew rate. We have operated the mount for several days on a small 12 volt battery that they use for wheelchairs.

Also will they be the same form factor,  i’ve just gotten used to the buttons
Tom Fischer

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 12:42 deanjacobsen@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks Roland.

When do you anticipate that the Mach2 manual and the CP5 manual will make its way to the support page?

Dean Jacobsen

Terri Zittritsch

Rolando, thank you for the reply and someone else (Woody I think) also suggested it is likely lower during normal tracking.   On your specifications it shows 5A continuous, which I can understand the need to specify based on what you’ve said the mount will need for slewing, but it might help to specify typical draw during tracking so battery users can plan capacity needs.  As soon as I get a mount I’ll measure it all as I have a shunt to monitor my usage.   Anyways, just a suggestion.     Having a 24V plug in supply delivered with the mount is great, and I’ll likely never use 24V without AC.

best,
Terri

On Sep 18, 2019, at 6:18 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Karen Christen

Terri,

Please do share your imaging results with us.  From what I’ve seen this group is generally very complimentary to all imagers.  If you request critique or suggestions, they’ll offer that, too.  But I think I can speak for the group when I say that we enjoy everyone’s astro images.  No one should feel down with the ants.

Karen

Also will they be the same form factor,  i’ve just gotten used to the buttons

Tom Fischer

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 12:42 deanjacobsen@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks Roland.

When do you anticipate that the Mach2 manual and the CP5 manual will make its way to the support page?

Dean Jacobsen

Roland Christen

But I know my current mounts don’t use anywhere near 5A continuous.
The Mach2 uses 0.39 amps continuous at 24 volts and 0.78 amps at 12 volts. When both axes are slewing the mount uses more power, just like every other mount in existence. A 5 amp continuous power supply rating gives a safety margin as is common in the industry.

[...]

Mount current draw is the following as measured at the power supply:
At 24 volts - 0.39 amps normal tracking. At 1800x - 2.06 amps 1 axis, 3.24 amps 2 axis slewing.
At 12 volts - 0.69 amps normal tracking. At 1200x - 2.91 amps 1 axis, 4.43 amps 2 axis slewing.

For 600x slewing, current draw is approximately half of the above
For 900x slewing current draw is approx 75% of above.

The mount comes with a 10 amp 24 volt supply (240 watts) and can be used with 120 and 240 volt input power.
If you run this mount from a different power supply, I recommend that you do not run dew heaters from that same supply since these put heavy spikes in the line that can disrupt the mount control circuit. Batteries tend to be ok since they can deliver the high inrush currents that dew heaters produce without dropping below the 10 - 11 volt min. limit that can cause motor stalls.

Roland Christen
Astro-Physics Inc.

Also will they be the same form factor,  i’ve just gotten used to the buttons
Tom Fischer

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 12:42 deanjacobsen@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks Roland.

When do you anticipate that the Mach2 manual and the CP5 manual will make its way to the support page?

Dean Jacobsen

Terri Zittritsch

Rolando, thank you again for all of the great information.   You should put some of this in your specification (just a suggestion).   I’ll be able to monitor it once I have a chance to connect the Mach2 to a battery since I have a shunt installed to monitor draw.   I’ve never noticed the spikiness of the dew controller, but do know that they're pulse width modulated (not clear on frequency) and I currently use a simple 5A “brick” supply with my current setup that supplies everything (mount, heaters, camera cooler, focuser, USB hub, etc) when running at home.    With the Mach2 and supplied 24V power, It’ll be easy to split the supplies by just keeping my current supply for everything but the mount.   In the field I’ll be using a single 12V 55Ah battery.    I assume the mount power input is separate from the supply that will feed through up to the DEC axis and the supply that powers the USB hub.    I guess if need be, some additional decoupling can be added around the dew controller if it ever caused issues for other 12V components.     Maybe this is why I sometimes get mysterious image transmission failures.

Terri

On Sep 19, 2019, at 12:32 PM, chris1011@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Karen, I do see that the A-P forums are a little friendlier in general.   Realize that I’ll only have an A-P mount after I get my Mach2, and will be shooting through my TEC140 or other scope.  Although after seeing your fathers TEC140 at NEAF, I know I’m in good company!   Within the last couple of months I had decided I was going to try and upgrade my 100mm (500-600mm) imaging platform scope and casually thought I’d get my name on the list for a Stowaway..  nothing doing.   Any idea what year that list might open back up again, or whether I may have better luck on the secondary market?

Terri

On Sep 19, 2019, at 11:36 AM, Karen karen@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Terri,

Please do share your imaging results with us.  From what I’ve seen this group is generally very complimentary to all imagers.  If you request critique or suggestions, they’ll offer that, too.  But I think I can speak for the group when I say that we enjoy everyone’s astro images.  No one should feel down with the ants.

Karen

Also will they be the same form factor,  i’ve just gotten used to the buttons

Tom Fischer

On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 12:42 deanjacobsen@... [ap-gto] <ap-gto@...> wrote:

Thanks Roland.

When do you anticipate that the Mach2 manual and the CP5 manual will make its way to the support page?

Dean Jacobsen

Worsel

Terri

I purchased the A-P Online Power meter some time ago
and have found it very useful.for assessing current draw under varying loads, balancing the scope, evaluating if something is binding somewhere, e.g. cable drag, remaining battery capacity.

Bryan

---In ap-gto@..., <theresamarie11@...> wrote :

[...]

Bryan,

Yeah, I have one of these too. They’re great – and so simple once you’ve converted all your power cables over to PP.

Woody

I purchased the A-P Online Power meter some time ago

https://astro-physics.com/cabppwm

On Sep 19, 2019, at 12:32 PM, chris1011@... <mailto:chris1011@...> [ap-gto] <ap-gto@... <mailto:ap-gto@...> > wrote:

[...]

topboxman

I have the same power meter. Look at pictures of my Battery Box to power several astro devices and it shows power meter attached to the box.

It shows two ways to attach RigRunner to the battery box. First set of pictures show mounting RigRunner outside of battery box and this method is simple. Second set of pictures show mounting RigRunner inside of battery box and this method is more complicated and messier inside the battery box but looks cleaner from outside of battery box.

Peter

---In ap-gto@..., <woody@...> wrote :

[...]

Thanks guys for the suggestions.  I have essentially the same setup (different source for my meter) on my battery setup.   It includes a shunt so I have current load, voltage, and power readings.

What I don’t have is the same for the AC setup, so I can consider this A-P product for the AC setup.     But I suspect the Mach2 is going to work so well, that I’m going to forget it’s even there and place my focus on the other 999 things that can go wrong with astrophotography.    The whole idea of forgetting about the mount is something I’m really looking forward to.

Terri