Topics

Using other side of right ascension drive gear

Stacey Mills

A couple of years ago at NEAIC I heard someone, I think it was George, describe how to rotate the right ascension gear 180 deg so that it wears evenly on the opposite side.  I have an A-P 1600 mount with encoders.  Is this written down somewhere in a step by step format?  I'd like to do it and not have to do a lot of realigning.  Thanks!

Roland Christen

1) set the keypad to Autoconnect NO
2) park the mount to Park1, 4 or 5.
3) loosen clutches and rotate both axes manually until the scope points to Park3.
4) tighten the clutches and cycle power
5) when prompted, choose Resume from Park3.

This will rotate the gear 90 degrees. You can repeat again if you want to go the full 180 degrees.

Rolando.

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Dec 15, 2020 8:20 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Using other side of right ascension drive gear

A couple of years ago at NEAIC I heard someone, I think it was George, describe how to rotate the right ascension gear 180 deg so that it wears evenly on the opposite side.  I have an A-P 1600 mount with encoders.  Is this written down somewhere in a step by step format?  I'd like to do it and not have to do a lot of realigning.  Thanks!

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

M Hambrick

Thanks for asking this Stacey, and thanks for the answer Roland. I was just literally just thinking about asking the same question myself.

For clarification, when you say to Resume from Park 3 do you mean Resume from Last Position as if the mount was shut down in Park 3,  or are you referring to the instructions for New setup start from Park 1,2,3 or 4 ? (I am looking at page 15 of the V19.3 Keypad Manual).

Stacey Mills

Thanks.  I assume this can be done using APCC instead of the keypad?

Ray Gralak

Thanks. I assume this can be done using APCC instead of the keypad?
Yes, or using the AP V2 ASCOM driver, if you follow a similar procedure.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro
Author of APCC (Astro-Physics Command Center): https://www.astro-physics.com/apcc-pro
Author of Astro-Physics V2 ASCOM Driver: https://www.siriusimaging.com/apdriver

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Stacey Mills
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 6:36 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Using other side of right ascension drive gear

Thanks. I assume this can be done using APCC instead of the keypad?

Roland Christen

New Setup - Resume from Park3.

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Dec 15, 2020 10:37 pm

Thanks for asking this Stacey, and thanks for the answer Roland. I was just literally just thinking about asking the same question myself.

For clarification, when you say to Resume from Park 3 do you mean Resume from Last Position as if the mount was shut down in Park 3,  or are you referring to the instructions for New setup start from Park 1,2,3 or 4 ? (I am looking at page 15 of the V19.3 Keypad Manual).

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

M Hambrick

I used this routine yesterday on my 1100 Mount. I actually went through the sequence twice so as to rotate the RA gear 180 degrees. It worked great and there were no issues. When I started up last night using the Resume last position (normal startup), I told the mount to go to Vega, and there it was. I only had to do a little bit of tweaking to center it in the field of view, and recalibrated.

This is the first time I have ever done this process since I bought the mount in 2010, but I am thinking that it would make sense to do this gear rotation on an annual basis. Next year, I will repeat this sequence except I will only go 90 Degrees. The year after that I will go 180 Degrees again.

M Hambrick

Correction - I bought the mount in 2018, not 2010.

Worsel

Here's the description for the 1100. 
https://astro-physics.info/tech_support/mounts/1100gto/1100gto-cp4.pdf
Scroll on page 37 to Worm Wheel Maintenance

Bryan

sydney77@...

Does this apply to a 900GTOCP3?
Does it impact the PEC curve?

Thanks.

Roland Christen

Yes, all our mounts including the 900, 1200, Mach1, 1100, 1600. They all work the same way. No impact to the PE curve because the PE is a function of the driving worm, not the worm wheel.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, Dec 18, 2020 4:49 pm

Thanks.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics