TSX platesolve trouble with APPC/APPM ver 1.9 with TSX camera

Shailesh Trivedi

Has anyone had any issues when using APPM ver 1.9 to complete plate solves using The SkyX camera? In an earlier revision, I was able to plate solve and create a model on a portable setup, but now that I want to set up on a permanent pier (AP1100 with AE), with APPC Pro ver 1.9, a TSX camera is able to take pictures but the plate solve fails (the image scale is correct). When doing the same standalone with TSX outside of APPC, the plate solve inside TSX succeeds all the time, but fails with APPM all the time even though a picture is taken via APPM.

Perhaps something on the version 1.9 TSX API changed? Has anyone had similar issues?

Shailesh

Dale Ghent

If the failure is indicated by an error message, it's always critical to include the error message in your description of the problem.

As for TSX, try running it once as Administrator, then try creating the model. TSX needs to be ran as Administrator at least once to allow it to install the ActiveX components that APPM uses to talk to it. After you run it once as Administrator, you need not do that again unless you uninstall TSX and reinstall it.

On Sep 3, 2021, at 10:47, Shailesh Trivedi <strivedi@brightfeathers.com> wrote:

Has anyone had any issues when using APPM ver 1.9 to complete plate solves using The SkyX camera? In an earlier revision, I was able to plate solve and create a model on a portable setup, but now that I want to set up on a permanent pier (AP1100 with AE), with APPC Pro ver 1.9, a TSX camera is able to take pictures but the plate solve fails (the image scale is correct). When doing the same standalone with TSX outside of APPC, the plate solve inside TSX succeeds all the time, but fails with APPM all the time even though a picture is taken via APPM.

Perhaps something on the version 1.9 TSX API changed? Has anyone had similar issues?

Shailesh

Shailesh Trivedi

Dale,

Thanks for your reply. I have read the Activex/Com registration issue with TSX, maybe it needs to be redone with every new update or version of APPC. I will try it. The only error was plate solve failure with a code 0655.

Shailesh

Ray Gralak

Shailesh,

When doing the same standalone with TSX outside of APPC, the
plate solve inside TSX succeeds all the time, but fails with APPM
all the time even though a picture is taken via APPM.
There are different settings for automated plate-solving in TSX than for local solving. This is why I provided a link for you to read in the APPM help in my private email to you.

In the link below (or in the APCC help), please scroll down to the section for SkyX plate solving to confirm your SkyX settings, especially steps 7 and 8:

https://www.apastrosoftware.com/help/apcc-pro/appm_platesolve_settings_tab.htm

-Ray

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Shailesh Trivedi wrote:

  • Thanks for your reply. I have read the Activex/Com registration issue with TSX, maybe it needs to be redone with every new update or version of APPC. I will try it. The only error was plate solve failure with a code 0655.

Does the plate solve button on APPM work?

Someone else had issues where it would work, but APPM calls to TSX to build the model did not, and I think the resolution was a bit more settle time.

Also, the mount does need to be connected in TSX, I think it takes the near-solving coordinates from it.

When I first did this I kept getting some setting wrong on one side or the other, both under camera and platesolving settings as well as the TSX settings.  Quite a few TSX settings get overwritten by the camera settings on APPM, like exposure and binning if I recall, but to make sure just set everything up the same on each tab on both sides.

If all else fails, have APPM save the images it cannot solve, then go solve them in imagelink directly and see what is unexpected (assuming it does solve) – scale, binning, etc.

Once I got all the pieces aligned it worked great.  The problems at first were all in the human getting all the pieces set.

Linwood

Shailesh Trivedi

Thank you, Ray. I think I set up steps 7 and 8 correctly, as you note. But I know what I did wrong, when trying to set up APPM, I did not connect the AP ASCOM driver (ie no mount in TSX) and this could be the reason. I will try it again tonight.

Thanks,

Shailesh