From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Larry Phillips
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2022 2:38 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Troubleshooting the APCC Elitma Error

Ray, in doing further troubleshooting trying to get APCC working on my win 10, I went back and installed
version 1.8.8.17. When I did, it asked me if I wanted to install Eltima and I did. I no longer get the previous
error and now APCC opens and tries to connect to the mount and driver but now I get new ones. It doesn't
seem to recognize the USB port. Using the same cables from the mount on my win 7 computer everything
works fine. It doesn't allow me to select USB 4 as I can on the Win 7. See the attachments. Does this shed
and light on the problem?
Larry Phillips

Larry Phillips

I don't even see way to enter a port number.
Larry

HI Larry

Enter a port number in APCC? you would do that below.

image.png

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Larry Phillips

Yes, I know but there are no choices except "None" and it is grayed out.
Larry

Ray Gralak

Yes, I know but there are no choices except "None" and it is grayed out.
Larry, did you try opening Device Manager to check which COM ports are available?

It doesn't allow me to select USB 4 as I can on the Win 7.
Did you mean COM 4? BTW, the COM port numbers for devices may or may not be the same if you switched computers or upgraded a computer to a different version of Windows.

-Ray

Larry Phillips

Yes, I meant Com 4.  But the box in APCC is shows nothing to select it is either blank or the only choice is "None".  I do not know how to check for available com ports or to select a port in APC except if it shows in the Primary Port box in APCC.  I looked in device manager and see nothing useful.  Does the mount need to be connected to the computer first even though it is not connecting?
Larry

>>>  Does the mount need to be connected to the computer first even though it is not connecting?

yes, you should have it connected and powered on, and then the COM port should show up in your APCC port list

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 9:58 AM Larry Phillips <llp41astro@...> wrote:
Yes, I meant Com 4.  But the box in APCC is shows nothing to select it is either blank or the only choice is "None".  I do not know how to check for available com ports or to select a port in APC except if it shows in the Primary Port box in APCC.  I looked in device manager and see nothing useful.  Does the mount need to be connected to the computer first even though it is not connecting?
Larry

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Larry Phillips

Thanks Brian.
Larry

Larry Phillips

I attached the mount and plugged it into the usb, powered it up and opened APCC.  No com port was available in APCC.  Attached is a screen print of the device manager and it only shows the Eltima virtual ports.

Larry

Ray Gralak

Larry, it looks like you are missing the USB driver for the mount (the "Unknown device" error in Device manager).

I don't have the driver's download link handy, but someone else will probably post it.

-Ray

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Larry Phillips

I thought I had installed the FTDI driver but I reinstalled it and even updated Java to the latest and installed the keyspan usb adapter driver for good measure.  No joy.

Larry

Ray Gralak

Try plugging the USB cable into a different USB port on your computer. If that doesn't work, try a different USB cable. Also, eliminate any USB hubs in case that is the problem. That is, directly connect the cable from the mount to your computer.

-Ray

I thought I had installed the FTDI driver but I reinstalled it and even updated Java to the latest and installed the
keyspan usb adapter driver for good measure. No joy.

Larry

Larry Phillips

Ray, thanks for the suggestions.  I have already tried all of the other ports and I am not using a hub for the mount.  As to using a different cable, it is the same one I successfully use with another computer.  Is it possible the cable can work with one computer and not another?
Larry

Are the ports USB 3.0 vs 2.0 on the old computer? that could make a difference

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 6:15 PM Larry Phillips <llp41astro@...> wrote:
Ray, thanks for the suggestions.  I have already tried all of the other ports and I am not using a hub for the mount.  As to using a different cable, it is the same one I successfully use with another computer.  Is it possible the cable can work with one computer and not another?
Larry

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Ray Gralak

Is it possible the cable can work with one computer and not another?'
Yes, absolutely. I've had it happen.

-Ray

Larry Phillips

It has one 3 and two 2's.  The new one has 2 3's and one 2.

Larry Phillips

I will see what I can try in a couple of days.  It is supposed to be really windy here Friday and Saturday.
Larry

Larry Phillips

Ray, I just remembered that when you say try another USB cable, the only usb is in the Serial to USB adapter.  Are you saying try another adapter?
Larry