From: main@ap-gto.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-gto.groups.io] On Behalf Of Geoff Smith
Sent: Wednesday, June 8, 2022 9:44 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] Trouble staring APCC on second computer

I tried to install APCC on my Fitlet2. All seemed to go OK until I tried to start APCC and then I got the attached
message. Any suggestions as to where to go from here?Does the same license key work on different computers?

Geoff Smith

Thanks Ray
I have installed the net3.5, the latest ascom platform and the ap driver. Also tried reinstalling APCC but still the same message.
The microsoft version is Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB, Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
Geoff

Ray Gralak

Hi Geoff,

I have installed the net3.5, the latest ascom platform and the ap driver. Also tried reinstalling APCC but still the
same message.
The microsoft version is Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB, Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
I am not sure if this is the only problem, but that version of Windows 10 may be too old to support .NET Framework 4.7.2, which APCC uses. I've provided a link below to a Microsoft page where you can download .NET Framework 4.7.2. Try it and see if it helps:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/microsoft-net-framework-4-7-2-for-windows-10-version-1607-windows-10-version-1703-and-windows-server-2016-2e2e372e-f939-b438-4bfd-4305d7e9ea80

You could also try using Windows update to see if there are any .NET Framework 4.7.2 (or 4.8) updates.

-Ray

Alex

I don't think you'll be able to do a major version update of .NET on a LTSB edition of windows.

I had a similar issue in the past. I had a PrimaLuceLab Eagle 2 computer, and it came with Windows Pro LTSE, the predecessor to LTSB.  The idea of these releases is that they're for devices that shouldn't get touched again, mostly in embedded applications like an ATM machine.  Once it's working, it shouldn't need any sort of update, except for security ones.  I believe this was the thinking with the Eagle 2, it would just sit in the observatory at treated like an embedded device.

The problem is that you do update the software occasionally, to get new functionality and capabilities.  I tried to upgrade SGP to a newer version, but it required a 4.x version of .NET.  Windows Update for LTSE (and I assume LTSB) only does security and bug fix updates, no new functionality like a new major version of .NET.  I tried getting a manual install of 4.x .NET package, but Microsoft doesn't supply one that works with LTSE, so I was forced to buy a new windows license (since the LTSE license isn't upgradable), and update the Eagle 2.  I had tons of driver issues after doing that with their custom hardware, and PrimaLuceLab was no help at all. I eventually got rid of it and repurposed an old computer to run the scope, and got a Pegasus UPB to put on top of the scope.

This had the additional advantage of getting the computer off the scope, as I now have an observatory and I'm starting to automate that, and add things like sky cameras and rain detectors, all of which needed to plug into the computer.  The big advantage of piggy backing the eagle2 was to eliminate the tons of cables up to the scope, but if you also have a lot of equipment off the scope that needs connecting, you've defeated the purpose of the piggy back PC.  I feel keeping the computer off the scope and using something like the UPB to distribute USB and power lets you have the best of both worlds.

Alex

Geoff Smith

Thanks Ray and Alex. So I tried updating everything but still no luck. Perhaps the next thing I could try would be to reinstall a later Windows version. Does this seem a reasonable option?
Thanks
Geoff