From: Howard Ritter via groups.io <howard.ritter@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Nov 15, 2021 2:43 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Tripod mounting of 1600GTO

I have been hoping to put my 1600GTO mount, due in February, on a pedestal in my side yard. This is looking like it may not be feasible, and I’m thinking again of the idea of tripod mounting. I have a Meade Giant Field Tripod for my 16” LX200 that I could have an adapter machined for, but that tripod may be too much to deal with easily.

I have a spare Berlebach Planet tripod rated for 120 kg, but I don’t know whether it’s adequate for the 100 kg of mount, scope, and counterweights that I have in mind (PlaneWave 14”, or failing that, a C14).

If the Planet is marginal for astroimaging with this setup, what’s a good option? Berlebach makes a bigger tripod, the Graviton, rated for 220 kg, but it’s 5x the cost of a Planet. The listing fo the A-P Eagle doesn’t mention a mount as big as the 1600. That leaves the Bisque Pyramid.

Any thoughts? Experiences?

—howard

Howard Ritter

Thanks, Roland. I had been looking at the Eagle portable pier, but the listing doesn’t mention the 1600GTO. Are the two adaptable to each other and play nicely together?

By the way, my 25-year-old 155EDF says “Hi, Dad!”

—howard

On Nov 15, 2021, at 4:42 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

For the 1600 nothing beats an ATS for rigidity. I have found that wood tripods like the Berlebach will twist slightly with variable moisture in the atmosphere, and thus change the polar alignment. Not my choice for a permanent setup, but fine for portable use.

Our portable piers are also great for backyard setups and don't cost as much as the ATS.

[...]

The eagle pier is not meant for the 1600. We have 10" diameter piers for the larger mounts. They come in several lengths, depending on what scope you have. For a short SCT type, I would recommend using the shortest pier to keep the mount low to the ground.

Roland

[...]

Christopher Erickson

The LX200-16 tripod will work without much effort but it isn't very pretty or versatile. I have one so I am speaking from experience.

It would be very simple to place the AP 1612FSA Flat Surface Adapter on the Meade tripod top and mark, drill and tap the correct mounting holes on the tripod. Then attach the FSA and then the mount.

The new threaded holes can easily be created with simple hand tools. Or if you prefer, a machine shop or maybe even a handy friend could help you out.

And the new threaded holes would not prevent the tripod from still being used with the Meade LX200-16 scope, if desired.

The Meade super-giant field tripod isn't very tall and you might consider adding a half-pier to it.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 5:28 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Christopher. What you describe is what I had envisioned for the tripod and the 1600. Using it would also enable the 1600 to carry the Meade OTA, which would be Plan B if I don’t get to my notional PlaneWave 14”. Pretty and versatile aren’t necessary to the idea I have of stationing the installation (semi-)permanently on my patio, to be protected with a bespoke heavy, aluminized, weatherproof shroud, nor to the possibility of taking the whole shebang in pieces back and forth in a U-Haul to our Florida winter home for the 5 months or so that we spend there.

(Parenthetically, I’d like to know whether you're familiar with Optec’s field flattener/focal reducer for the classic Meade 16” SCT. Optec claims, with some evidence, that this accessory makes the Classic’s optical performance equivalent to that of the current ACF design. Considering the cost differential between keeping the Meade OTA and selling it to buy a PlaneWave 14", would I be just as well advised to stay with the Meade + Optec?)

I’ve found a local machine shop whose boss is fascinated by my reasons for bringing in telescope parts for modification, and they could certainly do the work. But if there’s no problem drilling and tapping the top plate of the tripod to take the FSA, why not just drill and tap for direct mounting of the 1600?

Thanks again!

—howard

On Nov 16, 2021, at 4:54 PM, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Blahovici

Take a look at the AP 1612FSA Flat Surface Adapter and you will see why.

Howard Ritter

Yes, I do see why! I had thought from the pictures on the AP website that the 1600 mounted with longitudinal bolts through a flat base and into the pier top plate. But actually it mounts with radial bolts through its circular sub-base that go into a cylindrical pier (or FSA).

Thanks!

—howard

On Nov 17, 2021, at 12:26 PM, Tom Blahovici <tom.va2fsq@...> wrote:

Take a look at the AP 1612FSA Flat Surface Adapter and you will see why.

fernandorivera3

Can't go wrong with the Rob Miller Tri36H or a Particle Wave Technology Monolith. Unfortunately they are not brand new anymore- out of production. Must be acquired 2nd hand, pre owned.

Fernando