Tripod for 400 GTO

Marc Zukoff <yooody@...>

I am anxiously awaiting my mount, but am wondering about the Davis
and Sanford aluminum tripod.Is it a good choice or is the wood tripod
a better one, or any other suggestions. i am planning on using a 4
inch refractor for now, but hope to also obtain a 5 inch refractor in
the next year.

John J. Kasianowicz <surpher@...>

I own and use the wood tripod I bought from A-P. It's a bit heavy (I've
taken it with me to Curacao though). However, it's a stable platform for my
Traveler/AP-400 QMD. I have absolutely no regrets about purchasing it.

I am anxiously awaiting my mount, but am wondering about the Davis
and Sanford aluminum tripod.Is it a good choice or is the wood tripod
a better one, or any other suggestions. i am planning on using a 4
inch refractor for now, but hope to also obtain a 5 inch refractor in
the next year.

Chris Spratt

I don't have the Davis and Sanford aluminum tripod but do use the wooden one and
this
may be more suitable in the long run if you don't get a pier.

Marc Zukoff wrote:

I am anxiously awaiting my mount, but am wondering about the Davis
and Sanford aluminum tripod.Is it a good choice or is the wood tripod
a better one, or any other suggestions. i am planning on using a 4
inch refractor for now, but hope to also obtain a 5 inch refractor in
the next year.

Now the best and coolest websites come right to you based on your
unique interests. eTour.com is surfing without searching.
And, it's FREE!
http://click.egroups.com/1/3013/3/_/3615/_/957229489/

Chuck Hancock

I have a 400GTO mount on order right now, and have received an item for
adapting the mount to the Celestron Celestar 8 Deluxe tripod. I think
mountong ring is the same thing Steve is taking about. ADATRI is the
Part No. for this item.

All I had to do was go to the hardware store for the right length bolts
and some nuts.

Chuck Hancock

Steve Leikind wrote:

Marc,

One other suggstion is to use the 400 GTO mount with a Meade field
tripod. This is an especially good options if you happen already to
have Meade tripod. In order for this to work, you must first obtain
the special plate that Astro-Physics provides as standard equipment
with the Davis and Sanford tripod. I believe they sell this
separately for about $50. I found that this plate adapts the 400
Mount to my Meade tripod in the same way that works with the Davis
and Sanford. The holes in the plate and bolts provided with it line
up exactly with corresonding holes in my Meade tripood.

The Meade tripod is very sturdy and much more robust than the Davis
and Sanford. It weighs about 20 pounds and is designed to support 8
- 12" SCT's and their fork mounts having weights between 40-95
pounds. Note: it is possible that you could use the Celestron field
tripod in the same way though I do not have first hand experience
with this.

-Steve

--- In ap-gto@egroups.com, "Marc Zukoff" <yooody@a...> wrote:
I am anxiously awaiting my mount, but am wondering about the Davis
and Sanford aluminum tripod.Is it a good choice or is the wood
tripod
a better one, or any other suggestions. i am planning on using a 4
inch refractor for now, but hope to also obtain a 5 inch refractor
in
the next year.
Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long Distance
rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2567/5/_/3615/_/957940233/
Best regards,
Chuck Hancock

c d h 5 9 at b e l l s o u t h d o t n e t