Tricking the 1200 GTO on the time

Bobby Middleton <bobm@...>

This post is a cross-post with the AP users-group. Both it
and this group are having light traffic now so I've posted on
both hoping to get a faster response.

I've been told that there is a way to re-set something, probably
the time, so that one can avoid twirl around to the other side
of the AP GTO mounts. I realize the reason for this is to avoid hitting the
OTA
into the pier or tripod, but my goal is to be set up shooting for the
western side
of the mount when starting a long exposure. Right now I am shooting 3
hour exposures of the cocoon nebula (ic 5146) and for the first exposure
early in the night the mount will slew to the eastern side. (OTA on the west
side looking east)
Near the end of the exposure it gets the tube very close
to my pier. If I can start this exposure some way
on the western side (OTA on the east side looking west)
then my problem will be fixed. I once had the fix for this in my
files but a computer crash fixed that!
Thanks for any info,

Bobby Middleton

http://www.koyote.com/users/bobm/astro1.htm

Philip Perkins <philip@...>

to my pier. If I can start this exposure some way
on the western side (OTA on the east side looking west)
then my problem will be fixed. I once had the fix for this in my
files but a computer crash fixed that!
Thanks for any info,
Hello Bobby
You can set the time plus or minus from the correct local time, which has
the effect of moving the meridian where you want in the sky. I use 2 hours
offset quite regularly, sometimes up to 3. It works very well - just be
careful not to hit the pier, but you know that one already.
--Philip

Philip Perkins - philip@astrocruise.com
Wiltshire UK & Luberon France
Astrocruise - http://www.astrocruise.com

Charles Sinsofsky <strfire@...>

A speical feature is coming for 2.6 that will permit you to use the a/p GTO
mount to think the zenith is not at the center or top of the mount, but
rather offset by a user selectable amount, say 4 hours, that way the mount
will not autoswitch sides when requested and thus you can effectivly stay on
one side for much longer.

All will be explained with the release of 2.6 ..I am finnishing it up now.

- charles

[...]

eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/ap-gto

Bobby Middleton <bobm@...>

Great! That will be a very useful feature especially for
long exposure astrophotography.