Topics

Tracking problem with Mach 1

Peter Bresler

Edited

I was having a problem with tracking last night.....the mount slewed to coordinates in SGP and APCC, but short exposures showed movement. I re-initialized, no help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrdoas64yyj9dw2/ApccZip-Peter_Bresler-2020-03-26-043115.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swi70mhbpbmw1nm/frame_and_focus_24.fit?dl=0

Ray Gralak

I was having a problem with tracking last night.....the mount slewed to coordinates in SGP and APCC, but short
exposures showed movement. I re-initialized, no help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrdoas64yyj9dw2/ApccZip-Peter_Bresler-2020-03-26-043115.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swi70mhbpbmw1nm/frame_and_focus_24.fit?dl=0
There doesn't appear to be any logs that cover the time at which your image was made according to the images FITS header which interestingly says was taken at 4:42 am, which is one minute *after* you posted (which could means an inaccurate computer time).

I did a scan of your logs and there are a few instances of Solar rate being used, which could cause trailing like that.

Other than that it could be something like poor polar alignment, loose/slipping clutch, or a tugging cable.

-Ray Gralak

I was having a problem with tracking last night.....the mount slewed to coordinates in SGP and APCC, but short
exposures showed movement. I re-initialized, no help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrdoas64yyj9dw2/ApccZip-Peter_Bresler-2020-03-26-043115.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swi70mhbpbmw1nm/frame_and_focus_24.fit?dl=0

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

Remove the cover on the RA gearbox and look at the motor shaft. Is the motor turning at the sidereal rate?

I was having a problem with tracking last night.....the mount slewed to coordinates in SGP and APCC, but short exposures showed movement. I re-initialized, no help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrdoas64yyj9dw2/ApccZip-Peter_Bresler-2020-03-26-043115.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swi70mhbpbmw1nm/frame_and_focus_24.fit?dl=0

Dale Ghent

In addition to Ray and Roland's recommendations, make sure that the ASCOM driver wasn't set to an unintended tracking mode such as solar or lunar.

On Mar 26, 2020, at 7:40 AM, Peter Bresler via Groups.Io <PABresler=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I was having a problem with tracking last night.....the mount slewed to coordinates in SGP and APCC, but short exposures showed movement. I re-initialized, no help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xrdoas64yyj9dw2/ApccZip-Peter_Bresler-2020-03-26-043115.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/swi70mhbpbmw1nm/frame_and_focus_24.fit?dl=0

Peter Bresler

I was having problems with the ASCOM driver a few days ago.I took the photo after I recorded the log, but was the same as was occurring while the log was running. I checked for obstructions....none found. How do I tell if the motor is running at sidereal rate? A mechanical problem would be something new. No problems at all with tracking until now. Change in polar alignment also very unlikely but I will recheck it.

uncarollo2 <chris1011@aol.com>

The final spur gear on the worm will turn once every 6.4 minutes. The motor shaft turns once in just under 8 seconds.