Ticking noise after regreasing 1100

Eric Claeys

I just re-greased my 1100 and am getting a ticking noise in RA when going west. I took off the gear cover and the noise is coming from the middle (topmost) gear, and occurs once every revolution.   I originally tightened the middle gear until there was resistance, then a tiny bit more.  If I loosen the middle gear enough, I can get the ticking to stop when going west, but then it appears when going east.  Loosening the gear also causes it to go up and down about 0.5 mm when switching directions, and the gear feels loose.

I didn't drop or bang the gear, and as far as I know, nothing fell out while greasing it.  I removed it and checked the teeth and there's nothing stuck in them and I couldn't feel any burrs.  The noise happens at 1200, 600, and 64.  It might happen at other speeds, but they're so slow I can't tell.

A picture of the gears is at https://ap-gto.groups.io/g/main/photo/264415/3232606?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0.

Any ideas?

Eric

Jeff B

So after maintenance, you developed an issue.  Sounds to me like a problem with your maintenance.  Why did you feel you needed to re grease the mount?  What symptoms was it displaying?

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 9:13 PM Eric Claeys <AstroEric@...> wrote:
[...]

Don Anderson

Eric
I would bet that there is still something stuck in one of the teeth of that gear. It could be a piece of dried grease.

On Sunday, May 23, 2021, 7:32 PM, Jeff B <mnebula946@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeff,
The mount is 5 years old, has spent about 30 weeks in the dusty desert, and has never been re-greased.  I seem to recall AP saying mounts should be re-greased every few years.

I used the grease kit I bought from AP.

Eric

Jeff B

Ok, cool.  Is it a one-per revolution click?  No laboring or other funny noises?

It may make sense to just do it over again.

Jeff