This might be a stupid question . . .

paul_schroeder@...

Hi all -

Well, my 600E GTO arrived from AP earlier this week-- it is absolutely gorgeous
and very solid. Tonight the skies cleared up nicely, and I had hoped to give it
a brief test drive.

Alas, I got tripped up by a fairly (very?) mundane problem.

Put simply, I couldn't get the 9 pound counterweight to slip over the
counterweight shaft. It was _incredibly_ tight. With maximum hand pressure, I
couldn't get the shaft more than 1/4 inch into the counterweight.

The only conceivable way I could have gotten it in further would be to do some
serious banging with a rubber mallet. I didn't feel very comfortable doing this
with a brand new mount. As it was, it took both me and my son pulling very hard
to get the shaft out of the counterweight (even though it was only 1/4 inch
in!).

Are the counterweights normally this snug? Is there a break-in period to
"loosen" the collar inside the counterweight, or does this sound unusual?

I'll call AP on Monday, but if anyone had any suggestions maybe I could try
again yet tonight (or tomorrow night).

Thanks and best regards,

Paul Schroeder

John Gleason

Paul,

The counterweights should slide on and off easily without any force.
Defective! Ha, Roland may have his first recall. Could be many more are
too tight.

John Gleason, dvj@earthlink.net
http://www.celestialimage.com

----------
From: Paul_Schroeder@datacard.com
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Subject: [ap-gto] This might be a stupid question . . .
Date: Saturday, March 25, 2000 8:01 PM

[...]

Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2637/3/_/3615/_/954043411/

-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ap-gto/?m=1

BKuperinsk@...

In a message dated 3/25/00 11:03:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Paul_Schroeder@datacard.com writes:

[...]

I also received a new AP mount last week. It was a 900 GTO. The 18 lb.
counter wts that I used for a few years with my 900 QMD were also very tight
on the new mount's counter wt. shaft but they do slide on with a back and
forth rotation. A lite work out with a little grit cloth did the trick. Other
than polish the brass surface there is no evidence of my major field
modification : )

Good Luck,
Bob Kuperinsky

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

Are you sure you have the set screw backed out all
the way? There is bronze "nose" that "floats" in the
hole. I always slide the weight on the shaft with the
knob on the weight pointing down so that this floating
bronze nose will stay clear of the shaft. Once the weight
is on the shaft I rotate the weight so the knob is on top.

Maybe there is a little burr in the hole where the bronze
nose stick through?

Rich