The last couple of weeks are the hardest...

Tom Blahovici

I guess everyone has been there, waiting for the final call and tracking number for a new mount....

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

Tom wrote:

  • I guess everyone has been there, waiting for the final call and tracking number for a new mount....

_._,_._,_

Just to encourage you.  I’ve only had 3 nights I could image, but have been doing objects I did with other mounts to compare (I saved the old subs).  Wanted to share a typical result.

This is Sii for the bubble nebula at 2800mm, 300s images, at 0.277”/pix, FWHM is in arcseconds.  The left 3/4 or so were from a CEM70G, the right is from the AP1100.  The left were heavily culled to get more consistency, the right is EVERY SINGLE SUB from last night.  Same camera, OTA, imaging train… just different mounts.

I also have similar for the MyT, the main difference is on the MyT I didn’t have to cull so much.

It’s easy to think it may be night to night variation (and some may be) but every target is like this.  The jagged left side is three separate nights.  What impresses me is not just that the stars are smaller points, but the consistency – that flat line on the right is about 5 hours, over maybe 20 degrees altitude (at a guess), and did I mention every single sub included, no culling.

THAT’s why waiting is worthwhile!

Linwood

Roland Christen

That is impressive. Where are you located/ I can't get seeing like that on a consistent basis, even with the mighty 17". Perhaps one night out of 20.

  • I guess everyone has been there, waiting for the final call and tracking number for a new mount....

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

  • That is impressive. Where are you located/ I can't get seeing like that on a consistent basis, even with the mighty 17". Perhaps one night out of 20.

SW Florida, Fort Myers area.

We trade stiller air (no jet stream I think) for 100% humidity, mosquitor, and clouds most of the time in the summer.

Of course tonight may bring new surprises.   I’m dodging clouds trying to get calibrated and aligned, while one eye on the radar as a storm moves just south of me.   Murphy certainly spends a lot of time in Florida.

Linwood

Roland Christen

You're in the right spot for super good seeing. Probably quite similar to the Keys where I used up to 1000x to view Jupiter and Saturn. Amazing laminar air flow produces some of the best seeing on the planet. And I've observed from some really great sites like Cerro Tololo in Chile. Of course they combine great seeing with super transparency.

As far as humidity, We got plenty of that here. I set up to do some imaging tonight because Clear Sky Clock said it was going to be clear. Humidity close to 100%, temperature close to 90F. Just one dark pesky cloud towards the east, no problem 'cause I'm imaging toward the west. Strangely the cloud is not moving eastward as it should. Oh well, time to go inside for a bowl of strawberries. Ok, back to the observatory - what's this, a drop landing on my head?? Oh My, a sudden cloudburst coming out of the east from Lake Michigan. My 10" Mak is pointing straight up! Rats!! Park the scope, close the roof, hurry hurry!! Just got the roof closed when the skies opened up in a biblical deluge. Had about 10 seconds to spare, and only a few drops on the corrector plate.

By the way, your FWHM results are enviable. But you'll never convince the Cloudy Nights crowd that a mount needs to be a precision piece of equipment. After all, they all seem to get round stars, some of them unguided without any kind of modeling. I don't know how they do it, I think it's magic, myself.

Finally: glad you're enjoying your mount. Stuck out tongue winking eye

Roland wrote:

  • As far as humidity, We got plenty of that here. I set up to do some imaging tonight because Clear Sky Clock said it was going to be clear. Humidity close to 100%, temperature close to 90F. Just one dark pesky cloud towards the east, no problem 'cause I'm imaging toward the west. Strangely the cloud is not moving eastward as it should. Oh well, time to go inside for a bowl of strawberries. Ok, back to the observatory - what's this, a drop landing on my head?? Oh My, a sudden cloudburst coming out of the east from Lake Michigan. My 10" Mak is pointing straight up! Rats!! Park the scope, close the roof, hurry hurry!! Just got the roof closed when the skies opened up in a biblical deluge. Had about 10 seconds to spare, and only a few drops on the corrector plate.

Well, at least you have a dome. I have to race to move things inside.

But I used to commute for about 20 years off and on to Chicago.   Regularly would fly 1200 miles NORTH and end up with it hotter there than where I left.  I think I actually liked the winters better (though didn’t have to spend much time outside).

But you do make up for it in great Steak places and food in general.

My clouds seem to have cleared, think I’m going to get my first runs with wind (not a lot, 2-3 gusts 6) and encoders.  Wind is main reason I got the AE version.  Any specific recommendations for that, still try for neutral balance, or is it better a bit heavy to one side in wind?

Linwood

Roland Christen

 Any specific recommendations for that, still try for neutral balance, or is it better a bit heavy to one side in wind?
Neutral balance.