The APCC punched com12 into the driver how do I undo that?

drgert1

Hi,

While playing with SatTrack I was told that it tracks better with APCC. I normally don't use APCC and have all my setups configured to use plain AP driver on com5 for the mount. Now I launched APCC once and now the com port  in the driver is com12. I need to revert to the com5. How do I do that? I've added the logs.

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

drgert1

Hello All,

Illustrating my problem, using PHD2 guider as example.

I launch PHD2 guider and go to connect dialog.
The dialog can probe the com5 port and finds the mount.
I click to connect and the connection fails because com12 is stuck in the driver.
Ho do I fix that? The issue seems to be pretty hard anchored in the laptop.
Even robust against reboot. Do I have to re-install windows to clear it?

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

Bill Long

You can change them here:

I set them to 69 (nice) and 70. Way higher than any actual device would ever use.

Illustrating my problem, using PHD2 guider as example.

I launch PHD2 guider and go to connect dialog.
The dialog can probe the com5 port and finds the mount.
I click to connect and the connection fails because com12 is stuck in the driver.
Ho do I fix that? The issue seems to be pretty hard anchored in the laptop.
Even robust against reboot. Do I have to re-install windows to clear it?

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

Ray Gralak

Have you tried changing the com port to COM5 in the driver setup and unchecking the "APCC" option? And you shouldn't launch APCC if the checkbox to autoconfig the ASCOM driver is enabled as that will override your changes.

(Let me know if you can't find how to run the driver setup.)

-Ray

Hi,

While playing with SatTrack I was told that it tracks better with APCC. I normally don't use APCC and have all my
setups configured to use plain AP driver on com5 for the mount. Now I launched APCC once and now the com
port in the driver is com12. I need to revert to the com5. How do I do that? I've added the logs.

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

Bill Long

If you set the port affinity well beyond what common devices bind to -- this would never be a problem.

Have you tried changing the com port to COM5 in the driver setup and unchecking the "APCC" option? And you shouldn't launch APCC if the checkbox to autoconfig the ASCOM driver is enabled as that will override your changes.

(Let me know if you can't find how to run the driver setup.)

-Ray

> Hi,
>
> While playing with SatTrack I was told that it tracks better with APCC. I normally don't use APCC and have all my
> setups configured to use plain AP driver on com5 for the mount. Now I launched APCC once and now the com
> port  in the driver is com12. I need to revert to the com5. How do I do that? I've added the logs.
>
> Thanks & Clear Skies,
> Gert

drgert1

Hi Ray,

Thank you for helping me with this feedback. I am not a frequent APCC user and maybe some usage details slipped my knowledge. Below is illustrated what I did. Is that what you meant by  'run the driver setup' ? Is it possible to do all this with the laptop on my desk? Or will it only work with the mount?

I did change to com5 in the setup.

The check port confirmed the mount.

I then started the connection at the driver started but failed to connect as it wanted to use com12.

My goal is to achieve to connect to the mount again without APCC and for that to remove the stored reference to APCC virtual port com12 usage in the driver.

Maybe it would be nice to have an 'Un-Config' button in APPC in the AP driver window region next to the 'Auto-Config'.

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Gert

Ray Gralak

I then started the connection at the driver started but failed to connect as it wanted to use com12.
Then you probably did one of the following:

1) Didn't save the settings by clicking the "OK" button in the driver setup.
2) Didn't uncheck the "APCC Virtual Port" checkbox.
3) Ran APCC afterward, which reset the port.
4) Configured the driver and then started the driver via an application run "as administrator". They each (administrator and user) instances of the AP V2 driver have their own port number.

So, please try it again and follow these directions exactly:

1. Do not run APCC after configuring the driver.
2. Run the setup, change the COM port and uncheck "APCC virtual port".
3. Run the AP Jog application to ensure you are not running "as administrator"
4. Connect to the mount via AP Jog.

-Ray

Leon Fasano

Ray, sorry to interrupt , but do you know anything about AP TO NINA plug in updates?

On Aug 25, 2022, at 9:02 PM, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:

[...]

That is Dale's plugin. If he is online maybe he will answer here, but you might try the NINA discourse channel.

-Ray

Leon

Don't know if you've already seen this page

afaik it hasn't had any changes for a few months now

or did you have specific questions on its function?

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 7:15 PM Leon Fasano via groups.io <lftscope=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ray, sorry to interrupt , but do you know anything about AP TO NINA plug in updates?
> On Aug 25, 2022, at 9:02 PM, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:
>

>> I then started the connection at the driver started but failed to connect as it wanted to use com12.
>
> Then you probably did one of the following:
>
> 1) Didn't save the settings by clicking the "OK" button in the driver setup.
> 2) Didn't uncheck the "APCC Virtual Port" checkbox.
> 3) Ran APCC afterward, which reset the port.
> 4) Configured the driver and then started the driver via an application run "as administrator". They each (administrator and user) instances of the AP V2 driver have their own port number.
>
> So, please try it again and follow these directions exactly:
>
> 1. Do not run APCC after configuring the driver.
> 2. Run the setup, change the COM port and uncheck "APCC virtual port".
> 3. Run the AP Jog application to ensure you are not running "as administrator"
> 4. Connect to the mount via AP Jog.
>
> -Ray

Leon Fasano

Yes I had a specific question , the plug in by dale according to the pic I sent has to be  updated to 5.0.0.0, it is currently 4.0.0.0, just trying to know who does the AP plug in update as the updated nina will not accept the 4.0.0.0 version. I don’t know that anyone is aware of this

--

Sébastien Doré

Hi Leon,

From the snapshot you posted earlier, you are running NINA 2.0 Release Candidate 10 (which is old) with the AP Tools plugin version 0.4.0.0 (also not up to date) and as you noticed, both are not compatible.

There are newer versions of both available (which you should install) :

and
  • Astro-Physics Tools version 1.0.0.0 which you can then update as usual by going to Plugins -> Installed, and then selecting "Astro-Physics Tools" and clicking on the Update button at the top right (where mine says "Uninstall" in the snapshot below).

Also, if you have other questions regarding NINA and plugins, you can also ask people on their Discord by joining here: http://discord.gg/fwpmHU4. You'll benefit from developpers themselves and users that are all actually using NINA with some also using Dale's A-P Tools plugin, so that might increase your chances of getting answers fast.

Sébastien

Yes I had a specific question , the plug in by dale according to the pic I sent has to be  updated to 5.0.0.0, it is currently 4.0.0.0, just trying to know who does the AP plug in update as the updated nina will not accept the 4.0.0.0 version. I don’t know that anyone is aware of this

On Aug 25, 2022, at 9:29 PM, Brian Valente <bvalente@...> wrote:

Leon

Don't know if you've already seen this page

afaik it hasn't had any changes for a few months now

or did you have specific questions on its function?

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 7:15 PM Leon Fasano via groups.io <lftscope=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ray, sorry to interrupt , but do you know anything about AP TO NINA plug in updates?

--

Leon Fasano

I was able to follow your instructions successfully and i very much appreciate it. Thank you.   Although i had installed Nina v2.0.0.9001 back in June, I thought it was fully up to date, I checked the version i just installed per your instructions and it was the same version so i am not sure if there were any other indicators suggesting my older download was not up to date but it doesn't matter now, all plug ins now were updated and all work, so thank you!!

On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 09:21:51 PM CDT, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:

> Ray, sorry to interrupt , but do you know anything about AP TO NINA plug in updates?

That is Dale's plugin. If he is online maybe he will answer here, but you might try the NINA discourse channel.

-Ray

Sébastien Doré

Happy to help! 🙂
Sébastien

I was able to follow your instructions successfully and i very much appreciate it. Thank you.   Although i had installed Nina v2.0.0.9001 back in June, I thought it was fully up to date, I checked the version i just installed per your instructions and it was the same version so i am not sure if there were any other indicators suggesting my older download was not up to date but it doesn't matter now, all plug ins now were updated and all work, so thank you!!

On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 09:21:51 PM CDT, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:

> Ray, sorry to interrupt , but do you know anything about AP TO NINA plug in updates?

That is Dale's plugin. If he is online maybe he will answer here, but you might try the NINA discourse channel.

-Ray

Dale wrote and supplied the plug-in,

if there's an update, it should be update-able via the NINA plugins page in NINA

--

oh great to hear - sorry i was late to the party there ;)

On Fri, Aug 26, 2022 at 7:56 AM Leon Fasano via groups.io <lftscope=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was able to follow your instructions successfully and i very much appreciate it. Thank you.   Although i had installed Nina v2.0.0.9001 back in June, I thought it was fully up to date, I checked the version i just installed per your instructions and it was the same version so i am not sure if there were any other indicators suggesting my older download was not up to date but it doesn't matter now, all plug ins now were updated and all work, so thank you!!

On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 09:21:51 PM CDT, Ray Gralak <iogroups@...> wrote:

> Ray, sorry to interrupt , but do you know anything about AP TO NINA plug in updates?

That is Dale's plugin. If he is online maybe he will answer here, but you might try the NINA discourse channel.

-Ray

drgert1

Hi Ray,

This whole setup, can it be done on the laptop, only? If not maybe there is a need for some AP mount simulator? So people can do laptop-only testing without setting up the mount.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 07:02 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
So, please try it again and follow these directions exactly:

1. Do not run APCC after configuring the driver.
2. Run the setup, change the COM port and uncheck "APCC virtual port".
3. Run the AP Jog application to ensure you are not running "as administrator"
4. Connect to the mount via AP Jog.

-Ray
Thanks,
Gert

Dale Ghent

I'm a bit late to the thread due to getting back from a week of work travel. Thanks for posting the instructions, Sébastien.

Yes, the original Utilities for Astro-Physics Mounts plugin was superseded by the Astro-Physics Tools plugin during the NINA 1.11 (which then became 2.0) development cycle. All is well if you update NINA to at least 2.0 and install Astro-Physics Tools from NINA's plugin manager.

On Aug 26, 2022, at 10:07, Sébastien Doré <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:

Hi Leon,

From the snapshot you posted earlier, you are running NINA 2.0 Release Candidate 10 (which is old) with the AP Tools plugin version 0.4.0.0 (also not up to date) and as you noticed, both are not compatible.

There are newer versions of both available (which you should install) :

• NINA 2.0 (official release, not RC) which can be downloaded here (first download button for the stable official release): https://nighttime-imaging.eu/download/
<Outlook-rz4q3ljk.png>

and
• Astro-Physics Tools version 1.0.0.0 which you can then update as usual by going to Plugins -> Installed, and then selecting "Astro-Physics Tools" and clicking on the Update button at the top right (where mine says "Uninstall" in the snapshot below).
<image.png>

https://daleghent.com/nina-and-astro-physics-mounts

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 7:15 PM Leon Fasano via groups.io <lftscope@...> wrote:
Ray, sorry to interrupt , but do you know anything about AP TO NINA plug in updates?

--
Brian

Brian Valente
astro portfolio https://www.brianvalentephotography.com/astrophotography/
portfolio brianvalentephotography.com
astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/bvalente/

Leon Fasano

Thanks again, all is good now!

On Aug 26, 2022, at 4:29 PM, Dale Ghent <daleg@...> wrote:

I'm a bit late to the thread due to getting back from a week of work travel. Thanks for posting the instructions, Sébastien.

Yes, the original Utilities for Astro-Physics Mounts plugin was superseded by the Astro-Physics Tools plugin during the NINA 1.11 (which then became 2.0) development cycle. All is well if you update NINA to at least 2.0 and install Astro-Physics Tools from NINA's plugin manager.

On Aug 26, 2022, at 10:07, Sébastien Doré <sebastiendore1@...> wrote:

Hi Leon,

From the snapshot you posted earlier, you are running NINA 2.0 Release Candidate 10 (which is old) with the AP Tools plugin version 0.4.0.0 (also not up to date) and as you noticed, both are not compatible.

[...]

Hi Gert,

This whole setup, can it be done on the laptop, only? If not maybe there is a need for some AP mount simulator?
So people can do laptop-only testing without setting up the mount.
Yes, you can set up the virtual ports without the mount, but I highly recommend you become familiar with APCC in the daylight, with APCC connected to the mount. There is no AP mount simulator.

-Ray