From: AaronW <aaron.wilhelm@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Mar 30, 2022 3:02 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] telescope storage - vertical vs horizontal?

I am currently designing an observatory and will have limited space inside to store my telescopes.  My architect prefers to design vertical storage to occupy less room, but my instincts were to think this is bad for the scopes (something about gravity affecting the optics?).  It later occurred to me that I might be dead wrong.

I currently only have refractors, but will likely graduate to a larger reflector one day.  Would love others' views on whether it's possible to store refractors/reflectors vertically without any loss of quality for imaging and how best to do it (objective pointing down vs up, etc.)!  I typically leave an OAG, filter wheel, and camera attached to the scope at all times but am prepared to take those off if necessary.

Best,
Aaron

Mike C

Over the last 25 years of owning nice optics, I have learned the hard lesson twice about storing anything in a state with high potential energy for gravity to take advantage of. Once during a 7.2 earthquake, and once from a 150 pound St. Benard. I will always store my scopes or lenses flat on the floor now, for the rest of my life : )  where they have nowhere to go. If you do store vertically, I'd recommend making sure you have a permanently installed and easy retaining mechanism that flips in and out of place securely.

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

Mike,

That is some sound advice.

weems@...

My experience with storing a reflector vertically, face up, is that the mirror provides a surface for bugs to die on. I store my refractor in Park 4 position (horizontally), partly because that gets it out of the way of my observatory door and it’s bay, and partly so that any water drops will fall on the side of the tube, where they will run off, rather than getting on the optics if I’ve forgotten to cover them.

Chip

thefamily90 Phillips

👍