Topics

Storage box for the Mach2 mount

Harley Davidson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAkJfixIkEc

I am using a Ridgid tool box to protect my Mach2 mount.

tony

Jim Hawn

tony,
Thanks for posting the helpful video, especially the detailed Rubbermaid product information to facilitate ordering them.  Out of curiosity, what do you recommend for storing the GTOCP5 unit and cables?  How about the counterweight bar and the counterweights themselves?  Lastly, do you have a recommended storage solution for the RAPAS?  Thanks.
-  Jim

Wes Atchison

HI Harley,

I use the Ridgid tool box set to store  my AP900.  Really works great, nice sturdy rugged box set.

FYI, Home Depot is running a sale of the 3 piece set till Christmas.

Wes
WA5TKU

Andrea Lucchetti

I use a Maxcase 540.
It is a Peli like case produced in Italy, very high quality and right price.
I have changed the original foam with the same material used by AP for shipping, very easy to cut.
I keep the dovetail and bar separated to limit the weight.
Andrea
Don’t have a good picture for now, sorry

M Hambrick

Here is what I put together for my counterweights using the short Ridgid toolboxes originally suggested by Tony (a.k.a. Harley Davidson). I need two cases to hold the counterweights for my 1100 Mount; one holds two 18 pound counterweights with room for a third. The other holds the counterweight shaft, an 18 pound counterweight, and a 10 pound counterweight. The foam in the lids is 2-inch thick. There are two layers of foam in the main part of the case. The base layer is 1-inch thick. On top of that is a 2-inch thick layer with the cutouts for the counterweights and shaft..

Both cases are heavy. I set up and take down my mount every time. I have found that if I use proper lifting techniques I can carry all of the counterweights to the mount in one trip. Carrying them piecemeal (one in each hand) requires three trips, so these cases are big timesavers when I am setting up.

The foam is closed cell high density (1.7 lb) foam. I think the grey foam is actually denser, so if you can get that it is better.

Harley Davidson

Thanks Jim. I did two videos. Will send links soon.

tony

On 11/28/2020 5:13 PM, Jim Hawn wrote:
tony,
Thanks for posting the helpful video, especially the detailed Rubbermaid product information to facilitate ordering them.  Out of curiosity, what do you recommend for storing the GTOCP5 unit and cables?  How about the counterweight bar and the counterweights themselves?  Lastly, do you have a recommended storage solution for the RAPAS?  Thanks.
-  Jim

Harley Davidson

Wes

Thanks for that information! I will stock up.

tony

On 11/28/2020 7:49 PM, Wes Atchison via groups.io wrote:
HI Harley,

I use the Ridgid tool box set to store  my AP900.  Really works great, nice sturdy rugged box set.

FYI, Home Depot is running a sale of the 3 piece set till Christmas.

Wes
WA5TKU

Harley Davidson

Very nice Andrea. BTW, I am actually from Italy. Was born their and adopted to the USA. Clear skies.

tony

On 11/29/2020 6:17 AM, Andrea Lucchetti wrote:
I use a Maxcase 540.
It is a Peli like case produced in Italy, very high quality and right price.
I have changed the original foam with the same material used by AP for shipping, very easy to cut.
I keep the dovetail and bar separated to limit the weight.
Andrea
Don’t have a good picture for now, sorry

Peter Tattersall

Slightly off-topic, but I’m looking for storage/transport boxes for my AP900GTO. The Ridgid boxes are not on sale here, but I’m looking into the similar MAXIMUM wheeled box set. It’s a tight and awkward fit with both assemblies in the one large lower box. I could use it, but I’d prefer some kind of protection beyond towels (which I have seen used in one online video), perhaps cubed pick foam. Are you using anything in your Ridgid boxes?

Peter Tattersall
Ponte di Legno Observatory

'cos my real computers are on strike....

On Nov 28, 2020, at 7:49 PM, Wes Atchison via groups.io <wa5tku@...> wrote:

HI Harley,

I use the Ridgid tool box set to store  my AP900.  Really works great, nice sturdy rugged box set.

FYI, Home Depot is running a sale of the 3 piece set till Christmas.

Wes
WA5TKU

Harley Davidson

M Hambrick

WOW, you did a spectacular job on that! I did not put my CW's in a case but I will be now. THANKS for the pictures and materials required!

Like you I setup and take down after each observing session.

tony

On 11/29/2020 9:44 PM, M Hambrick wrote:
[...]

M Hambrick,

That is an excellent solution for storing the counterweights and CW bar.  Your photos really help to visualize the possibilities.  Now, I need to hunt down a supplier for the high density foam.  Thanks for sharing the fruits of your ingenuity.

M Hambrick

Hi Jim

I found my foam on eBay. There are quite a few sellers that offer the Density 1.7 Polyethylene Foam Sheets in different colors and densities (higher density = "harder"). I bought my foam from Hexapackaging. They offer 2 ft X 2 ft and 2 ft X 4 ft sheets in a variety of thicknesses ranging from 1/2" to 2".

This foam is not cheap ! A couple years ago I had to send my 180 EDT back to Astro-Physics for some upgrades. Since I did not have the original shipping carton, I had to make one using these 2-inch thick foam sheets. At the same time, I also had to replace the foam in the wood storage case that came with the scope. This project cost several hundred dollars. The moral of this story is to save those shipping cartons with all of that high density foam.

David Albers

One type of foam I like to use is Kaizen foam.  It cuts easily and is layered so you can cut to a certain depth and then peel back just that layer.  It's available from multiple places, even Home Depot sells it I think...and yes it's expensive as well.

I found my foam on eBay. There are quite a few sellers that offer the Density 1.7 Polyethylene Foam Sheets in different colors and densities (higher density = "harder"). I bought my foam from Hexapackaging. They offer 2 ft X 2 ft and 2 ft X 4 ft sheets in a variety of thicknesses ranging from 1/2" to 2".

This foam is not cheap ! A couple years ago I had to send my 180 EDT back to Astro-Physics for some upgrades. Since I did not have the original shipping carton, I had to make one using these 2-inch thick foam sheets. At the same time, I also had to replace the foam in the wood storage case that came with the scope. This project cost several hundred dollars. The moral of this story is to save those shipping cartons with all of that high density foam.

Jim Hawn

Thanks.  I think I will go with Kaizen foam as well now that I have found a local supplier (couldn't find Kaizen foam at Home Depot).  Rockler also has retail outlets throughout the US.
https://www.rockler.com/fastcap-kaizen-tool-storage-foam