STAR TECH Ethernet->Serial

Mike C

I have an Intel NUC computer mounted on top of my telescope.

I want the simplest tether possible from pier to scope -- DC power and ground.

The NUC connects to my WI-FI access point and talks to a STAR TECH Ethernet->RS232 adapter which connects to my AP1200 GTO CP3.
The device: https://www.startech.com/en-us/networking-io/netrs2321p

STAR TECH seems to create an ELTIMA virtual serial port on the NUC to handle this device.
It looks like APCC is also creating ELTIMA ports.

APCC seems to go bonkers trying to talk to the mount.  Any tips ? (like.. give up, is APCC compatible with Eltima port as main port?)

Cheers
Mike in Alaska

Christopher Erickson

I have seen nothing but troubles trying to use Eltima software with APCC. AFAIKT, the problems are on the Eltima side of things.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sat, May 15, 2021, 3:59 PM Mike C <mike@...> wrote:
I have an Intel NUC computer mounted on top of my telescope.

I want the simplest tether possible from pier to scope -- DC power and ground.

The NUC connects to my WI-FI access point and talks to a STAR TECH Ethernet->RS232 adapter which connects to my AP1200 GTO CP3.
The device: https://www.startech.com/en-us/networking-io/netrs2321p

STAR TECH seems to create an ELTIMA virtual serial port on the NUC to handle this device.
It looks like APCC is also creating ELTIMA ports.

APCC seems to go bonkers trying to talk to the mount.  Any tips ? (like.. give up, is APCC compatible with Eltima port as main port?)

Cheers
Mike in Alaska

Mike C

OK, minutes later here, but after... hours... trying to get this to work, I changed the STAR TECH driver to use UDP instead of TCP and everything has been perfect since. I am now controlling my mount over wifi with that adapter mounted to my pier.

Any words of warning about using Eltima devices on both ends of APCC? (or words of validation, I'll take that too)

Mike

Hi Mike

are you using wifi and udp between your imaging app and mount?

--
Brian

Brian Valente

Mike C

I don't think I can control my Sony mirrorless with Maxim, so I will be using an independent app for camera control.
Or worst case -- a plug-in timer/intervalometer.

The Camera and the NUC are both attached to the tracking platform, so all the cabling will be tied down for camera control. (USB-C)

The mount is the only stationary thing that the NUC needs to control, and it will indeed being sending UDP over wifi to the StarTech box.
It's working flawless since it turned up now on UDP, zero comm errors in APCC.

Mike

Ray Gralak

Hi Mike,

The mount is the only stationary thing that the NUC needs to control, and it will indeed
being sending UDP over wifi to the StarTech box.
It's working flawless since it turned up now on UDP, zero comm errors in APCC.
APCC does not know or care which type of COM port (i.e., real/virtual) it uses for the connection to the mount.

More likely, the problem was something in the Startech's WiFi network protocol stack.

-Ray