Topics

Stainless Steel Insert for Counterweight Shaft Threads

M Hambrick

After watching Tony & Moose's most excellent video showing him unpacking his brand new Mach 2. I would like to know if the stainless steel insert in the counterweight shaft holder has been incorporated into the other mounts ? In particular the 1100 ?

Harley Davidson

Thank you M Hambrick! I would assume AP could just make a new CW shaft adapter with that feature built in and you buy that and replace the one you have. Yet another wait list :)  I would definitely buy one for my 1600.

tony

On 11/13/2020 8:50 AM, M Hambrick wrote:
After watching Tony & Moose's most excellent video showing him unpacking his brand new Mach 2. I would like to know if the stainless steel insert in the counterweight shaft holder has been incorporated into the other mounts ? In particular the 1100 ?

M Hambrick

Hi Tony

Marj replied to an email that I sent to her stating that this insert is now included in the counterweight shaft adapters on the 1100 and I think also the 1600 mounts. She was not sure if they had any extras from the current production runs, but I read into her comments that they will probably make some and offer them for sale at some point in the future. Whenever that happens I plan to get one.

I don't really need one of these adapters at this time, because I have always been careful not to cross-thread the CW shaft into the adapter, but since I set up and take down my mount each session, those threads get a lot of wear. Eventually they are going to wear out or get cross threaded.

One thing that concerns me is that stainless on stainless threads are notorious about galling. I would recommend using a little bit of Never-Seez to keep this from happening. I wonder if a good high-strength bronze insert wouldn't be a better choice for insert material.

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi mhambrick
   I'd assume that that a we'll need to buy a new CW shaft because if the insert is screwed into the hole of the legacy mounts then its ID would be too small for the CW shaft to be screwed in.

cytan

On Sunday, November 15, 2020, 02:39:29 PM CST, M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

[...]

Roland Christen

I'd assume that that a we'll need to buy a new CW shaft because if the insert is screwed into the hole of the legacy mounts then its ID would be too small for the CW shaft to be screwed in.
No, not true. The bore size did not change, and all shafts will fit the new inserts.

[...]

Hi Rolando,
   That's good to know. I'll get two when it's available.

cytan

[...]

Don Anderson

Will something like this be available for 900 and 1200 mounts?

Don Anderson

[...]

Christopher Erickson

Is there a picture of this insert someplace?

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020, 4:25 PM Don Anderson via groups.io <jockey_ca=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Here is a screen capture from Tony's video:

Harold

Could somebody provide a link to the video.

M Hambrick

Hi Harold

Scroll down through the messages in this (AP-GTO) group and find the message on November 10 from Harley Davidson (a.k.a. Tony). There is a link to his You-Tube video there.

Tony has made several really good videos over the years. They are worth watching.

Harold

Thanks, I found it. I am expecting to be notified of a shipping date for my mach2 very soon.

Harley Davidson

Thank you M Hambrick for those kind words!

tony