Topics

So, I hear that the 1100 notifications have began, along with a 21% price increase...

Tom Blahovici

I thought we were supposed to hear about it here?
Well now we know.  It does seem though that a 21% price increase is a bit excessive no?
Yikes...

fernandorivera3

I too experienced "sticker shock" when I found out about it 😳

Karen Christen

Hello Tom and Astro-Nuts,

I apologize that we did not formally announce that notifications for the 1100GTO started last Friday.  As many of you know, the production run for this mount began about a year ago but was severely hampered by the pandemic and a resultant shutdown.  Even now we have 25% of our staff working from home, which we’ve discovered is incredibly inefficient and costly.  Still, we’re chugging along with production and expect to ship the first mounts in March.

The price of the 1100GTO has not changed for many years and we did not establish the new price until early last week, while also including APCC-PRO with all versions of the mount.  We did not accept any orders or deposits from anyone – including dealers/vendors – until last Friday.  We’re aware some vendors were requiring a deposit to secure a spot on their list, however this was not our policy and we strongly discourage this practice. 

With that said, we could have done a better job of signaling an upcoming price change by removing the old price from our website.  Our website platform does not allow us to remove the price unless we also remove the Notify Me button.  We want people to be able to put their name on the interest list, so this was not a viable option.  Last night we figured out a way to do this – you may notice the price of the 1600GTO shows $0, price to be determined.  In future we’ll be sure to be more transparent.  Again, I apologize for misleading folks. 

Lastly, we’re aware Cloudy Nights and other platforms are popular places to share information, and that they require express permission to quote someone else.  You have my permission to share any of this information verbatim on those platforms. 

The 1100GTO is a workhorse mount and is guaranteed to provide many years of trouble-free performance.  We hope those of you interested in this mount still consider it a good value.  

Karen Christen

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Blahovici
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 1:21 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: [ap-gto] So, I hear that the 1100 notifications have began, along with a 21% price increase...

Well now we know.  It does seem though that a 21% price increase is a bit excessive no?
Yikes...

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Robert Sinitiere

Well folks, inflation is back!!  Just check the price of groceries and medications.  Roland and Marj, I’m sure have to pass along their materials and skills cost of doing business to the customer, or there would be no more Astro-Physics, Inc.  Perish the thought.
Bob Sinitiere

On Feb 16, 2021, at 11:16 AM, Karen Christen <karen@...> wrote:

Hello Tom and Astro-Nuts,

I apologize that we did not formally announce that notifications for the 1100GTO started last Friday.  As many of you know, the production run for this mount began about a year ago but was severely hampered by the pandemic and a resultant shutdown.  Even now we have 25% of our staff working from home, which we’ve discovered is incredibly inefficient and costly.  Still, we’re chugging along with production and expect to ship the first mounts in March.

The price of the 1100GTO has not changed for many years and we did not establish the new price until early last week, while also including APCC-PRO with all versions of the mount.  We did not accept any orders or deposits from anyone – including dealers/vendors – until last Friday.  We’re aware some vendors were requiring a deposit to secure a spot on their list, however this was not our policy and we strongly discourage this practice. 

With that said, we could have done a better job of signaling an upcoming price change by removing the old price from our website.  Our website platform does not allow us to remove the price unless we also remove the Notify Me button.  We want people to be able to put their name on the interest list, so this was not a viable option.  Last night we figured out a way to do this – you may notice the price of the 1600GTO shows $0, price to be determined.  In future we’ll be sure to be more transparent.  Again, I apologize for misleading folks. 

Lastly, we’re aware Cloudy Nights and other platforms are popular places to share information, and that they require express permission to quote someone else.  You have my permission to share any of this information verbatim on those platforms. 

The 1100GTO is a workhorse mount and is guaranteed to provide many years of trouble-free performance.  We hope those of you interested in this mount still consider it a good value.  

Karen Christen

AP

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Blahovici
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 1:21 AM
Subject: [ap-gto] So, I hear that the 1100 notifications have began, along with a 21% price increase...

Yikes...

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

skester@...

Thank you Karen, I have shared this information on the relevant CN thread. I'm sure COVID has played havoc with your cost structure in general. Given I was purchasing the 1100GTO as my 'lifetime mount', I'm still onboard and patiently waiting mine.

Pete Mumbower

Same here Karen, thank you for the update and I totally understand the situation A-P is in. I too will continue to wait patiently for the my 1100GTO (I did order via a dealer/vendor). I find the cost/wait to still be very much worth it.

Karen Christen

Thanks for the feedback, Pete and Scott!  It doesn’t hurt to keep us on our toes.  😉 

Karen

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Pete Mumbower
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] So, I hear that the 1100 notifications have began, along with a 21% price increase...

Same here Karen, thank you for the update and I totally understand the situation A-P is in. I too will continue to wait patiently for the my 1100GTO (I did order via a dealer/vendor). I find the cost/wait to still be very much worth it.

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

James Stone

In my opinion, the 1100GTO is an exceptional value even at the new price. Will happily take receipt of one of these at the current or even a higher price whenever my name comes up on the list. 

I should clarify that the costs that played into this increase are not specifically related to our present Covid situation or people working from home. The costs have built up over the years  and while we should have increased a few percent each year to cover them, we chose not too. Hence, a large sticker shock when it comes all at once. I apologize for that, but it is important to us that we continue to keep our level of quantity and service.

The 1100GTO is a full-featured robotic or portable mount that is machined, finished and assembled with love. I hope that people will consider it if it meets their observing needs.  

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of skester@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 11:55 AM
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] So, I hear that the 1100 notifications have began, along with a 21% price increase...

Thank you Karen, I have shared this information on the relevant CN thread. I'm sure COVID has played havoc with your cost structure in general. Given I was purchasing the 1100GTO as my 'lifetime mount', I'm still onboard and patiently waiting mine.

Ooops, make that “level of quality and service.” Our staff take great pride in their craftsmanship.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marj Christen
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 1:00 PM

I should clarify that the costs that played into this increase are not specifically related to our present Covid situation or people working from home. The costs have built up over the years  and while we should have increased a few percent each year to cover them, we chose not too. Hence, a large sticker shock when it comes all at once. I apologize for that, but it is important to us that we continue to keep our level of quantity and service.

The 1100GTO is a full-featured robotic or portable mount that is machined, finished and assembled with love. I hope that people will consider it if it meets their observing needs.  

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

www.astro-physics.com

Robert Sinitiere

Marj, Roland, Karen and crew members:

You & Roland and the team at Astro-Physics produce some of the BEST technology driven, mechanically, electronically (and optically) engineered products in the World.  I realize they are expensive to make.  My AP-GTO-900 Mount, which I use on a regular basis, performs as well as It did at first light, in December, 1998, and so goes for my AP StarFire 155mm f/7, oil-spaced apochromat OTA Refracting telescope, which I cherish to this day.  I am 71 YOA now; my AP gear will long outlast my living self.

Astro-Physics gear is very expensive, but represents and holds it’s great VALUE, even at current price points. AP is: “The Best astronomy-gear at a fair price-value”.

Besides, from the offers I get for this assembly, AP is a pretty good investment, if one cares for their equipment.

Clear skies everyone, and stay safe and warm.   Bob Sinitiere, Baton Rouge, La.

On Feb 16, 2021, at 12:56 PM, Marj Christen <marj@...> wrote:

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

www.astro-physics.com

Bill Long

The 1100 is incredible. Highly portable and can fit in nicely in an observatory if needed. Rock solid and 100% dependable. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Marj Christen <marj@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 11:22 AM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>

Ooops, make that “level of quality and service.” Our staff take great pride in their craftsmanship.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marj Christen
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 1:00 PM

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

www.astro-physics.com

M Hambrick

To Robert's earlier comment about inflation - You ain't seen nothin' yet. We will be seeing $4.50/gallon gas before you know it.

In any case, I am very happy with my 1100 GTO mount. No regrets whatsoever except maybe that I should have gotten the absolute encoders when I bought the mount. I will be on a fixed income by the end of this year and it will take some creative budgeting or maybe some part time work as a consultant to come up with the funds to pay for them.

Mike

fernandorivera3

Is it plausible/reasonable to conclude that when the 1600 GTO rolls out from the current production run that a similar 20% or so increase is to be expected whether the mount is "standard" or equipped with absolute encoders??

I expect that there will be an increase for the 1600, as well. It will depend on costs for that specific mount, not a pre-determined percentage.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of fernandorivera3 via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 2:28 PM

Is it plausible/reasonable to conclude that when the 1600 GTO rolls out from the current production run that a similar 20% or so increase is to be expected whether the mount is "standard" or equipped with absolute encoders??

Francois Regembal

Hi all,

I too am on a dealer's list to purchase one of these beauties. I used to own an AP1200 that worked flawlessly for many years and I am looking forward to the AP1100.
Having said that... I don't believe that a sudden increase of 21% is the right thing to do. Regular increases over time are a lot easier to justify with regards to keeping track to inflation than this quantum jump in price. This is very disappointing: some of us save money over time to afford these items and all of a sudden, we get close to not being able to afford them, right at the gate when they become available after patiently waiting for over a year, sometimes a lot longer.
I know I'll forget all about the price I paid once this mount will be in my backyard, running smoothly under the stars... but still...

Francois

Mike <wildwood7711@...>

Hi All, As a businessman myself. A company is to make money if they do not, they will not survive. If Astro-Physics feels it is justified for this increase no one should question it. Sounds like a lot of snowflakes out there. 

On Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 01:46:08 PM MST, Val�rie-Fran�ois R�gembal <foudastro@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I too am on a dealer's list to purchase one of these beauties. I used to own an AP1200 that worked flawlessly for many years and I am looking forward to the AP1100.
Having said that... I don't believe that a sudden increase of 21% is the right thing to do. Regular increases over time are a lot easier to justify with regards to keeping track to inflation than this quantum jump in price. This is very disappointing: some of us save money over time to afford these items and all of a sudden, we get close to not being able to afford them, right at the gate when they become available after patiently waiting for over a year, sometimes a lot longer.
I know I'll forget all about the price I paid once this mount will be in my backyard, running smoothly under the stars... but still...

Francois

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

I am not sure there are questions regarding the price increase as much as the methodology in implementing it, and the associated disappointment as these items ship with an expected price point that has changed.  The fact is that there are orders (reservations) out there that were based on a published and expected price at shipping time.   Some may not be in a position to pay the increase.  So, the disappointment is duly noted and probably expected.   I empathize with the individuals that ordered with an expected price and are now looking at a substantial increase in price.   I am not sure what the snowflake comment is all about, but I think it is inappropriate. 

I don't hear any snowflakes.  I do hear some disappointment for a long awaited item that now comes with a substantial price increase.  I can understand that.   Maybe the next price increase will be advertised at time the order is taken, or as has been mentioned, the value of the item will be noted as variable at the time of order to set expectations appropriately.  I think that is most important thing to note here is that setting the expectations correctly in any business venture is very important.  The fact is that you almost have to be a successful business owner in order to afford all this finely manufactured equipment. I can understand the purchaser's angst among hearing the price increase.  No need to start calling them names.

Dean Jacobsen

I always feel a tinge of disappointment every time I see that Ford has increased the price on the Shelby GT500.  I still can’t afford one.  Darn!
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Image Gallery - http://astrophoto.net/wp/image-gallery/
Astrobin Image Gallery - https://www.astrobin.com/users/deanjacobsen/ 
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

Aashish Sheshadri

I am on the list to get one as well. In anticipation of the mount I have been buying accesories for it like counterweights, tripod, keypad, saddle etc either new or used. So being committed in a sense to buy the AP1100 with a price in mind. The sudden price increase really came as a surprise and it did leave me second guessing. It is not 5 or 10% but a significant number. Having bought a bunch of things to support the mount, I had to bite the bullet. 

It would have been nice though to have the mount differentiate itself from it's predecessors to reflect the new price in some way (I understand there is APCC Pro).

Nonetheless I am looking forward to receiving the AP1100. Thank you for all the work AP team during these difficult times. 

-Aashish