Sky Safari - iphone - GTO

Haydon Burns

Hello Ernie,

You  appear to have really did spent some time trying to troubleshoot Sky Safari.  Impressive that you found a work around.  I originally was using Sky Safari 6 Plus and WiFi connection was reliable.  After a night of not having success with it, I upgraded to the Pro version and was having issues that may have been similar to yours with losing WiFi connection.  I reverted back to the plus version and that seemed to work better with regard to WiFi dropouts and screen freezes.

Haydon

Robert Berta

I don't have a CP5 but have a CP4 with latest updates, I am one of the early adopters of the CP4. It is used with my 1100. The issue of WIFI drop outs has been an ongoing issue from the start. I spent a lot of time and still haven't got it to maintain a robust connection with Sky Safari 6 Pro Android version on both my Android tablet and Samsung cell phone.  I gave up on the AP wireless and now just use latest SKYFI module for wireless connection. It is dead reliable and has a pretty long wireless distance to maintain connections. I use it about 25' from my mount and through a glass door wall. I suspect that the issue is the wireless component chosen by AP. Several others also report this problem. AP is aware of it but thus far  a few years now) a solution hasn't been found. 

@130FeetDeep

I just wanted to circle around on this topic. With the hand controller now shipping, is SkySafari 6 Pro currently working with MACH2 with CP5? I have seen posts noting it is, but I just want to verify before downloading.

The Sky Safari folks are presently working with our tech staff to work with the Mach2 and add more functionality for other mounts.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of wxman4@...
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 5:44 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Sky Safari - iphone - GTO

I just wanted to circle around on this topic. With the hand controller now shipping, is SkySafari 6 Pro currently working with MACH2 with CP5? I have seen posts noting it is, but I just want to verify before downloading.

@130FeetDeep

Mary, that is excellent news! Do you have any rough time table for when it will at least work correctly with the Mach2? Thank you for such a quick reply.

I’ll have to check with our tech staff. I’m not sure.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

www.astro-physics.com

Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 7:38 PM

Mary, that is excellent news! Do you have any rough time table for when it will at least work correctly with the Mach2? Thank you for such a quick reply.

Update, of sorts.  We know they are working on it, but have no commitment regarding release. We’ll let you know when we have more news and hope to be testing a version soon. Stay tuned.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

www.astro-physics.com

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marj Christen
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 8:35 PM

I’ll have to check with our tech staff. I’m not sure.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

www.astro-physics.com

Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 7:38 PM

@130FeetDeep

I just wanted to circle around on this topic. SkySafari 6 Pro released an App update today (1/14) noting “Fixes For Astro-Physics Mount Control”. I won’t be home to test my mount for a few days, but I wonder if this is the update we were hoping for our Mach 2? 

Your email was a complete surprise. We had no idea that the new version was released yesterday. Our tech staff has been working with Simulation Curriculum and will post an update of the changes that were implemented later today.

Wobbleworks has also released some updates for Luminos for improved functionality with our mounts.  

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

www.astro-physics.com

Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2021 9:42 PM

I just wanted to circle around on this topic. SkySafari 6 Pro released an App update today (1/14) noting “Fixes For Astro-Physics Mount Control”. I won’t be home to test my mount for a few days, but I wonder if this is the update we were hoping for our Mach 2? 

Howard Hedlund

The latest release of Sky Safari adds some great new features, and it fixes a couple problems for AP GTO mount users
For the Mach2GTO:
  • Sky Safari now recognizes the Mach2 and accommodates its true encoder design.
  • Start up with the Mach2 is now handled correctly.  The mount does not need to be placed in any particular position.  The Mach2 will now initialize already knowing where it is pointing.  Mach2 users won't even see any sort of start-up menu.  Simply click Connect, and the Sky Safari screen will show the correct pointing position.
  • "Find Home" has been added to the disconnect menu in case you accidentally use Align (Sky Safari's name for ReCal or Sync) on the wrong object and get lost.
For ALL other AP GTO mounts:
  • Starting from Park 4 is no longer required. 
  • Park 3 has been added.  Park 3 can be used both at start-up and at shut down.
  • Resume from Current Position has been added to the startup menu.
PLEASE NOTE:  The southern hemisphere has a bug in the Park 3 position.  If you are in the southern hemisphere, please do NOT use Park 3 yet.  Sky Safari is aware of the problem and is fixing it.

Paolo Nicosia

I just tried it with my Mach1 and it works as advertised.  That's great news - Sky Safari is such a treat for GoTo and precise alignment via synching, and great for deciding on targets for the night, but the Park 4 limitation was a big hassle.  Thanks for working though this with the Simulation Curriculum folks, Marj!

fernandorivera3

Yes please let us know regarding the Sky Safari update for AP GTO mount control. Looking forward to it!

Fernando

Paolo Nicosia

Confirmed: I just tried it and you can park and unpark to Park 3, 4, or "Current Position".  It all appears to work, though my test was during the daytime, so I can't speak for accuracy (but I doubt there would be an issue).

I've been hoping for this for years, as I've never gotten used to the user interface in Stellarium or  CDC.  SkySafari is so much easier to use for alignment after setup and for deciding on targets, but the Park 4 limitation was always a hassle. 

Thanks a lot for coordinating this with Simulation Curriculum, Marj.

Christopher Erickson

ABOUT TIME SKY SAFARI GOT PARK 3!

YAY!!!

I can FINALLY start recommending Sky Safari to people again. It only took YEARS for them to get this fixed.

"My advice is always free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 8:37 AM Howard Hedlund <howard@...> wrote:
The latest release of Sky Safari adds some great new features, and it fixes a couple problems for AP GTO mount users
For the Mach2GTO:
  • Sky Safari now recognizes the Mach2 and accommodates its true encoder design.
  • Start up with the Mach2 is now handled correctly.  The mount does not need to be placed in any particular position.  The Mach2 will now initialize already knowing where it is pointing.  Mach2 users won't even see any sort of start-up menu.  Simply click Connect, and the Sky Safari screen will show the correct pointing position.
  • "Find Home" has been added to the disconnect menu in case you accidentally use Align (Sky Safari's name for ReCal or Sync) on the wrong object and get lost.
For ALL other AP GTO mounts:
  • Starting from Park 4 is no longer required. 
  • Park 3 has been added.  Park 3 can be used both at start-up and at shut down.
  • Resume from Current Position has been added to the startup menu.
PLEASE NOTE:  The southern hemisphere has a bug in the Park 3 position.  If you are in the southern hemisphere, please do NOT use Park 3 yet.  Sky Safari is aware of the problem and is fixing it.

Christopher Erickson

Strange.

Wouldn't "Park at current position" and "Disconnect without parking" be exactly the same thing with an AP CP2/3/4/5 controller?

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:31 AM Paolo Nicosia <paolotto@...> wrote:
Confirmed: I just tried it and you can park and unpark to Park 3, 4, or "Current Position".  It all appears to work, though my test was during the daytime, so I can't speak for accuracy (but I doubt there would be an issue).

I've been hoping for this for years, as I've never gotten used to the user interface in Stellarium or  CDC.  SkySafari is so much easier to use for alignment after setup and for deciding on targets, but the Park 4 limitation was always a hassle. 

Christopher Erickson

I am guessing the difference would be if tracking was stopped or not.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:33 AM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
Strange.

Wouldn't "Park at current position" and "Disconnect without parking" be exactly the same thing with an AP CP2/3/4/5 controller?

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 9:31 AM Paolo Nicosia <paolotto@...> wrote:

Paolo Nicosia

Yes Christopher, the difference is whether you want it stopped or not.  I usually have concurrent connections from my phone an laptop - Sky Safari for gotos and target selection, my laptop for imaging and guiding.  With that option you can disconnect the phone and go to bed while the PC carries on with the AP Ascom driver.  You wouldn't want the phone to park the mount while the laptop's using it.

Allen Ruckle

I was happy to see the iOS version of Sky Safari has been updated to include commands for my A-P Mach2.  I did not have time to try it out on Thursday night Jan 14 but I read everything I could find about the commands added to Sky Safari 6.8.  I like the way Sky Safari immediately places the location indicator at the NCP position  on connection.   I exercised the mount slewing 8 or 10 objects, (Stars & Planets). I searched the menus for the park commands or functions but did not find them.  I tried out the new tilt to move feature and at first it appears to not working.  I soon discovered I was not tilting the phone far enough to activate the move action.  It appears to also do dual axis moves.  because I did not see any way to park the mount I tried to see of I could search on "North Celestial Pole",  no joy.  When I chose to end the session by selecting "Disconnect", a menu came up with the new park options shown above.      

Good Job Sky Safari!

however . . . . . . . . . I have one question.    How do I synchronize Sky Safari to a star after an initial goto from the park position, without causing the Mach2 mount to loose its calibration.   In my first use of Sky Safari when I first received my Mach2, I did a slew to Altair using SkySafari, after that the mount had acted as if it had a re-cal with Altair instead of the NCP, and I needed to email Roland who helped me re establish the telescope to the "Home Location". ( Thank You Roland ).

aruckle

Bob

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 02:37 AM, Howard Hedlund wrote:
Based on what just happened to me I am assuming Sky Safari still hasn't fixed this one yet? The mount decided to head for nadir.

Thanks