Simple Mobile APP for control of mount

Bob

Hi all

Looking forward to being a proud new owner (fingers crossed) of an 1100, and so will have a few queries between now and the impending birth.

First off, I have been looking over the Control Options diagram on the website. I am hoping there is a simple mobile app (not star chart or planetarium) that can be used to control the mount via wifi. In the diagram I see something that says ACP on iPad in the Ascom section. I am assuming that is what I am after, but for the life of me cannot find it in the Apple Store.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bob
115E 32S

skester@...

Edited

I don't believe ACP is what you are after in terms of a simple mobile app.  It is part of an observatory control package: https://acpx.dc3.com.  Also note that use of the ASCOM driver implies a PC is connected to the mount.  For iPad only control I would think SkySafari is your best bet.

Hello Bob,

The webpage that has the control Options diagram also has a link to more detailed information including a link to Sky Safari

https://www.astro-physics.info/index.htm?tech_support/mounts/control/control

There is also a program called Luminos by Wobbleworks for iOS. We need to update the website to show this link, as well.

https://wobbleworks.com/luminos/

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

Looking forward to being a proud new owner (fingers crossed) of an 1100, and so will have a few queries between now and the impending birth.

First off, I have been looking over the Control Options diagram on the website. I am hoping there is a simple mobile app (not star chart or planetarium) that can be used to control the mount via wifi. In the diagram I see something that says ACP on iPad in the Ascom section. I am assuming that is what I am after, but for the life of me cannot find it in the Apple Store.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bob
115E 32S

Woody Schlom

SkySafari Plus or SkySafari Pro works great via WiFi on either iOS or Android devices with the proper serial to WiFi device at the mount (such as SkyFi-III).  Android devices can also use Bluetooth serial to Bluetooth devices (such as the RN-270 serial to Bluetooth device).

But neither version of SkySafari supports guiding if you need guiding.

If you get a new AP-1100 with the CP4 controller that has built-in WiFi, then you “probably” don’t need the additional serial to WiFi device, but I’m guessing there as I don’t have a CP4 controller.  I’m still using the CP3.

Woody

Looking forward to being a proud new owner (fingers crossed) of an 1100, and so will have a few queries between now and the impending birth.

First off, I have been looking over the Control Options diagram on the website. I am hoping there is a simple mobile app (not star chart or planetarium) that can be used to control the mount via wifi. In the diagram I see something that says ACP on iPad in the Ascom section. I am assuming that is what I am after, but for the life of me cannot find it in the Apple Store.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Bob
115E 32S

Bob

You are correct. Totally wrong track, although interesting because I do hope to ultimately use the 1100 remotely.

Mike Dodd

On 1/27/2021 8:20 PM, astro@dinoworld.com.au wrote:
... I do
hope to ultimately use the 1100 remotely.
I routinely use Windows Remote Desktop to control everything in my observatory (300 feet away) over an CAT5 Ethernet link. I power-up the observatory, start the PC, then log-in. The observatory's desktop appears on my home PC monitor, and I can launch any app remotely.

I use ACP for automated imaging, but I also have TheSkyX out there, and can connect to my AP-1200 mount and slew it while in SkyX. I also can launch and control MaxIm and FocusMax remotely.

Some details are on my website here: <http://astronomy.mdodd.com/observatory.html#Remote>

(I almost never have to brave the cold to collect images. :-)

HTH.

--- Mike

Bob

Thanks to all for the replies. The mount will be a new one from the current build, hopefully :)

I was hoping to stay away from the planetarium type apps. What I was really looking for was a mobile app version of the Astro-Physics ASCOM V2 Driver. By that I mean the gui front end for Android or iPad.

Ray Gralak

I was hoping to stay away from the planetarium type apps. What I was really looking for was a mobile app
version of the Astro-Physics ASCOM V2 Driver. By that I mean the gui front end for Android or iPad.
Can you explain what features you are expecting?

ASCOM drivers require a client application, such as a planetarium program, to start them. They exist to provide a consistent application programming interface for Windows applications, but that doesn't apply to mobile applications as they are not Windows apps.

One of the mobile planetarium applications mentioned would be a rough equivalent to an ASCOM client application plus the AP V2 ASCOM driver.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

Thanks to all for the replies. The mount will be a new one from the current build, hopefully :)

I was hoping to stay away from the planetarium type apps. What I was really looking for was a mobile app
version of the Astro-Physics ASCOM V2 Driver. By that I mean the gui front end for Android or iPad.

Micheal Fields Jr

If I have a PC with APCC Pro running and connected to the mount and I have built a pointing model, does the mount use that model if I connect via wifi with my phone and tell it to go-to an object?  Eg, does the mount, when told by my iPhone / Sky Safari Pro to slew to an object, use the model on the PC that is also currently connected to the mount?

If so it would not be a big deal to set it all up to auto-connect to the mount upon bootup and use some small book sized PC connected via USB cable and use the iPhone or Android as a hand controller.  eg, the regular mount's hand controller could be mimicked by the smart device.  If said smart device was also on the same local network as the mount, perhaps it could also communicate with APCC Pro and/or the ASCOM driver to send syncs to build a pointing model if one doesn't already exist.

Roland Christen

I believe so, but Ray could answer that better.

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 11:45 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
I was hoping to stay away from the planetarium type apps. What I was really looking for was a mobile app
version of the Astro-Physics ASCOM V2 Driver. By that I mean the gui front end for Android or iPad.
Can you explain what features you are expecting?
Probably more a case of features I don't want. Essentially I would like an app that mimics the functionality of the keypad. I don't want the planetarium bits. And before anyone says it, I know I could simply purchase the hardware, but there are distinct advantages in an app being able to achieve this imho.

And not having seen a planetarium app connected to an advanced mount I don't know whether this feature is standard or not. Even if it was, planetarium apps don't do anything for me.

Thanks

Cheng-Yang Tan

On Friday, January 29, 2021, 1:16 AM, astro@... wrote:

[...]

Then don't use the features you don't care about in the planetarium app. And BTW, the keypad has features the AP V2 ASCOM driver does not have, like an object catalog. Luminos and Sky Safari have extensive catalogs and telescope control:

https://wobbleworks.com/luminos/

https://skysafariastronomy.com/

Another option would be to use a remote desktop app on your mobile device to connect to a cheap laptop, which you would connect to your mount.

On the laptop, you could run any ASCOM client software, like the AP Jog Utility, which would bring up the AP V2 ASCOM driver. You could then access the AP V2 driver features from your mobile device.

-Ray Gralak
Author of PEMPro

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 10:45 PM, Ray Gralak wrote:
Probably more a case of features I don't want. Essentially I would like an app that mimics the functionality of the
keypad. I don't want the planetarium bits. And before anyone says it, I know I could simply purchase the
hardware, but there are distinct advantages in an app being able to achieve this imho.
Then don't use the features you don't care about in the planetarium app. And BTW, the keypad has features the AP V2 ASCOM driver does not have, like an object catalog.
Yes, of course, that is obvious. And I do appreciate your other solutions. I just wanted to determine if such an app existed.

I may look at developing one now that I have some free time, observing catalog included :)

Thanks

Bob

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 07:31 PM, Cheng-Yang Tan wrote:
I guess this is what you want, but running on a phone or pad
Yes, indeed. It certainly is not unheard of to have a mobile app mimicking a piece of hardware. I guess the user base and other connectivity options in this case hasn't warranted it.

Bob

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 09:38 AM, Mike Dodd wrote:
On 1/27/2021 8:20 PM, astro@... wrote:
... I do
hope to ultimately use the 1100 remotely.

Some details are on my website here:
<http://astronomy.mdodd.com/observatory.html#Remote>

(I almost never have to brave the cold to collect images. :-)

HTH.

--- Mike
Apologies Mike, I meant to reply to you before now. I looked at your website, and all I can say is WOW. Very impressive. I particularly like your use of a microcontroller. I see a lot of use for mc's like the Arduino and sbc's like the Raspberry Pi in remote observing.

Question for you, a little off topic I guess, but if your observatory was not 300 feet from your house but about 80 miles, would you feel confident in its operation? Assuming you had reliable comms between the two naturally.