Should I select 900GTO or 1200GTO?

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

"Rich N." wrote:
<SNIP>
You need to be sure the "Az screws" will fit over the projection
<snip>
the mount on the base plate easier.
This is one of those times a digital picture would be a 1000 words.
Jeff

On the AP website you can see a drawing of the top
of the pier, for a 900, with the base plate attached.
Click on "mounts", then "pier accessory tray".

If you look at the photos and drawings of the 900 mount,
the base plate is attached to the mount. However, that plate is
shipped from AP attached to the pier. Same for the 1200.

http://www.astro-physics.com/

Rich

N. Foldager

Jeff wrote:

This is one of those times a digital picture would be a 1000 words.
Yes. I would love to see a picture of the 1200 GTO with a person on
it to get the scale. In the AP brochure, the other pictures have it,
but not the 1200-picture.

Best regards,

Niels

jim runsdorf

I hope you don't mind my piggy-backing on your question about a Pelican
case for the 600. I'm waiting for delivery of a 400GTO and was wondering
whether anyone uses a Pelican to transport this mount. At present A-P
doesn't have a case for the 400 in stock.

Thanks for your input,

Jim

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Bob Luffel wrote:

Hi Ron,

I would be interested in hearing what problems/fixes you had with your
600GTO (so that those of us with 600s know what to keep an eye out for).
The prior 600E QMD I owned worked flawlessly (and my new 600E GTO has been
great).

I had a chance to use an EM200 mount this past Astrofest for the first time,
it will be interesting to hear your experienced comparison to the 600.

Which Pelican case do you pack your 600 into? (I have the A-P case, but
a padded pelican would probably be an even more convenient way to go).

Bob Luffel

The 600E is a very solid mount, and as you noted the 400 can carry a much
heavier load than you expect. I've done successful astrophotography with
both mounts, and have done so with scopes that were well outside the design
range of both mounts. And gotten swell pictures anyway. <g> I've used 8" and
9" SCTs and Cassegrains on both the 400 and 600 with great results, and
those have been at some very long focal lengths (up to f/33 and 7000mm for
planetary photography, and that was right out there at the edge of what
these fine mounts can do).

I had some problems with my 600 GTO, and it recently came back from AP much
improved. It's now like a tank, and I think Roland has changed the specs on
the 600 mounts so that they are more robust. With the changes, the 600 GTO
is very good photographic platform. I've taken some excellent images with it
lately (http://www.wodaski.com) with my 5" refractor. I recently acquired an
EM-200 mount, and will be doing some side-by-side comparisons between the
two to see how they shape up.

The 600 GTO is extremely portable, which is its main attraction for me. I
bought a large Pelican case into which I can fit all mount components, and I
can transport and set up quickly.

Ron Wodaski

From: N. Foldager <nf@dadlnet.dk>
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Subject: [ap-gto] Should I select 900GTO or 1200GTO?
Date: Thursday, March 16, 2000 8:32 AM

I would like someday to purchase an AP 155 Starfire, but for
economical reasons I have to start with the mount, and wait with the
scope. (In the meantime, I will use a good, homebuilt 4" doublet).

But should I select a 900GTO or a GTO-1200 mount?

One big problem is that I am several thousands kilometers away from
the showrooms; so I need your help.

If I had a permanent observation site, I would undoubtly select the
GTO-1200. However, as for now, I do not have a permanent site. I hope
to get one within some years. Until then, I will have to transport
the equipment in my (compact) car every time.

Paul Gustafson has a 900GTO and kindly gave me some clues to this
problem. I would like, however, to supplement with the opinions from
other users; in particular 1200GTO owners who have to transport their
mount by car to the observation site.

Would you think that the 1200GTO is too big and heavy for me in the
situation described above?

If I purchase a 900GTO, will I regret that I did not select the
1200GTO the day where I have a permanent site and maybe want to add
another scope or more equipment?

Also, I understand that the 1200GTO needs a pier where the 900GTO can
do with a tripod. Right? That means that I have to include the weight
and volume drawbacks of a pier versus a tripod when I consider
portability of these two mounts.

I very much appreciate any comments on this.

Best regards,

Niels Foldager
Copenhagen
Denmark

http://click.egroups.com/1/2377/2/_/3615/_/953224400/

-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=ap-gto&m=1

http://click.egroups.com/1/2377/2/_/3615/_/953264946/

-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ap-gto&m=1

Learn more with SmartPlanet. It's a new way of learning online.
SmartPlanet offers hundreds of courses to take on your time,
in your space. Join for FREE today!
http://click.egroups.com/1/1700/2/_/3615/_/953266288/

-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ap-gto/?m=1

http://click.egroups.com/1/1700/3/_/3615/_/953314712/

-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ap-gto&m=1

Rich N. <rnapo@...>

I use a case something like the Pelican case for
my 400. I bought the AP case/box for the 400/600,
but I found it too bulky and too slow. It requires you
to bolt the mount into a ring on the bottom of the case.
I bought this case several years ago from AP.

Maybe AP will switch to a Pellican type case?

Rich

From: N. Foldager <nf@dadlnet.dk>
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Date: Thursday, March 16, 2000 8:32 AM

[...]

@Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the net.
Try @Backup FREE and recieve 300 points from mypoints.com Install now:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2345/3/_/3615/_/953317065/

-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ap-gto&m=1

Ron Wodaski <ronw@...>

My 600 GTO would stall out at 1200x with a 20-pound load, even if it was
balanced. The mount came back with what sounds like heftier motors and a
slower top speed (600x instead of 1200x), and works great; slews like a
tank. <g>

I have the Pelican 1650. It has big wheels on one end, handles on three
sides, and the mount takes up about 2/3rds of the interior, leaving room for
other stuff (counterweights, cwt shaft, controllers, etc.). It's a SUPER
case for the 600 GTO. I wouldn't hesitate to put it on an airline; that's
about as happy as I get with a case.

Ron Wodaski

From: N. Foldager <nf@dadlnet.dk>
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Date: Thursday, March 16, 2000 8:32 AM

[...]

I used one of the mid-size Pelican cases for my AP 400 QMD. I have since
sold that mount in favor of a 600 GTO. I shipped the mount to the buyer in
the Pelican case, so I no longer have the number handy. The basic rule of
thumb I've used for holding equipment in Pelican cases (and I've used nearly
a dozen so far!) is to have at least 1" of space around items if I will be
hand-carrying them or transporting in my own car. If I plan to ship, I go to
2" as my minimum distance, or 3" if it is very heavy. Just measure the
longest dimensions of your item, add the extra space, and scan a Pelican
product list. This usually gives you at least a couple of cases to choose
from. As often as not, I go oversize and leave room for accessories.

Ron Wodaski

From: N. Foldager <nf@dadlnet.dk>
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Date: Thursday, March 16, 2000 8:32 AM

[...]

Heavy? That's what the wheels are for. They are large enough to work across
a lawn.

It wasn't just an adjustment issue. If you got the mesh tight enough to
remove enough backlash so that the backlash compensation would cover what
was left, the motors stalled. With the changes Roland has made (I talked to
Marj since my last post), the mount moves more slowly but much, much more
reliably. Roland changed the gearing between the motor and the worm, and
added a circuit to protect against motor overload. I don't think there were
very many 600 GTO units that had this particular problem, but mine did and I
am very happy with the fix. I do mostly CCD work, so I spend up to an hour
on one part of the sky. I love putting stuff right on the CCD chip, and I'd
love to zip to it at 1 million times sidereal, but what I need most is
steadiness once I get there. <g>

Ron

Sounds like it just needed adjustment of the worm to worm gear distance. My
new 600GTO has both 600X and 1200X speeds.

That must be a pretty hefty setup, all packed into one case
Thanks for the info.

Bob

From: N. Foldager <nf@dadlnet.dk>
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Date: Thursday, March 16, 2000 8:32 AM

http://click.egroups.com/1/1700/3/_/3615/_/953330084/

http://click.egroups.com/1/1700/3/_/3615/_/953334847/

-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=ap-gto&m=1

Philip Perkins <philip@...>

Well the 900 is an excellent match fro the 155 EDF with 4 " or standard
focuser. You do not need the 1200 ..it is VERY HEAVY. As to using a
tripod...I have never seen a 900 on a tripod..only the portable piers...I do
not belive you can use a tripod with the 900...and even if there was a way
to do it ...i do not recommend it. The 900 on the 48 portable pier is a
fantastic combo with a 155edf on it. I have one like this for my 155edf/f
(my 180edf is on my 1200) and YES it is a great combo and easy to
transport...TRUST ME the 1200 is VERY HEAVY!
I'll second Charles. To be precise, the 1200 is more than double the
weight of the 900. 80 lbs is a weight to be truly reckoned with if you
have to transport the mount long distances to dark sites.

I have an AP 155 EDF, 4" Field Flattener, and a Pentax 6x7 attached to the
end of it. And on top of that is an AP 80mm guidescope. The AP 900
carries that load with superb stability and tracking precision, even in a
moderate wind. Check out some results:

http://www.astrocruise.com/aln99.htm
http://www.astrocruise.com/m31.htm

I wouldn't try to use a tripod. With any kind of long tube you'll have
problems with it hitting the tripod legs. AP manufacture the Portable Pier
for a good reason - it is perfectly matched to GEM mounts, and the AP mount
in particular. It is very rigid - much more rigid than any tripod I have
used. The Portable Pier seems to really 'dig itself in' to the ground.
It's the closest thing I've seen to a permanent pier, and rock solid in
operation.

--Philip
Philip Perkins - philip@astrocruise.com
Wiltshire UK & Luberon France
Astrocruise - http://www.astrocruise.com

N. Foldager

Philip Perkins wrote:

I'll second Charles. To be precise, the 1200 is more than double the
weight of the 900. 80 lbs is a weight to be truly reckoned with if you
have to transport the mount long distances to dark sites.

I have an AP 155 EDF, 4" Field Flattener, and a Pentax 6x7 attached to the
end of it. And on top of that is an AP 80mm guidescope. The AP 900
carries that load with superb stability and tracking precision, even in a
moderate wind. Check out some results:

http://www.astrocruise.com/aln99.htm
http://www.astrocruise.com/m31.htm
Your images are very impressing.

Thank you again to everybody who helped me solve my 900 vs. 1200
problem.

Now I will retract.
I have arrived at a decision when white smoke comes out from my
monitor.

Best regards,

Niels Foldager