Shipping an AP1100

Horia

I would like to have some details about the best way to package an AP1100 and would like to know how Astro-Physics ships it.

Does it originally come in one or more boxes? What are their dimensions and how heavy are they?

If in one box, does it come in one piece with RA and DEC bolted together?

Should the worm be coupled to the gear? Does it matter?

Is the hand controller in the same box?

Kind regards

Horia

Harley Davidson

Horia

I assume you do not have the original shipping boxes AP uses?

AP ships them with custom foam that encases the mounts RA & DEC axis. There are 4 boxes. They include the RA axis, the Dec axis, the counterweight shaft, and a box that includes the accessories.

As to the hand controller I forget because I kept the controller from my Mach1 and never needed another with my 1100, 1600, or Mach2 mounts.

I would be very careful as to how the mount is packaged. Perhaps AP can send you the two boxes they use for the RA & DEC axis at a cost but I believe well worth it. They ship world wide and know how to make sure they arrive in one piece.

What I do when I ship any AP equipment is DOCUMENT,
DOCUMENT, and DOCUMENT. By that I mean take pictures. I show pictures as I pack each component. Then at the shipper once all labels are on the box I take 3 pictures of each box.

In the above picture taken at FedEx you will note numbers I put on each corner of the entire box. Also note that the box is at an angle with the corner closest to the camera lens. All you have to do is take this picture then rotate the box 180° and take your second picture. Now flip the box over with the bottom up and take your last picture. You now have
DOCUMENTED this box with 3 pictures prior to the shipper accepting the package. Do this to each box. If something were to happen you can prove how you packaged it and the condition of each box.

Here is what I have in my notes as to weight & size of the 1100:

BOX 1 RA AXIS:
19" long X 15" wide X 16" high @ 31 lbs
BOX 2 DEC AXIS:
16.5" long X 12.5" wide X 16" high @ 21 lbs

Make sure the RA & DEC axis are locked down. That's how I did it.

In this video I did you can see an example of what AP does in shipping mounts. It should start at the proper point in the video. https://youtu.be/BRjWX7rna20?t=449

Hope this helps.     tony

On 2/17/2021 5:08 AM, Horia wrote:

I would like to have some details about the best way to package an AP1100 and would like to know how Astro-Physics ships it.

Does it originally come in one or more boxes? What are their dimensions and how heavy are they?

If in one box, does it come in one piece with RA and DEC bolted together?

Should the worm be coupled to the gear? Does it matter?

Is the hand controller in the same box?

Kind regards

Horia

thefamily90 Phillips

Tony, you are the man!

[...]

Karen Christen

Horia,

We do sell the 1100GTO shipping boxes.  Contact our office at 815.282.1513 if you’re interested.

Karen

AP

--
Karen Christen
Astro-Physics

Horia

Tony

This is perfect information, thank you very much. And the idea with the photographic documentation is even better!

[...]

fernandorivera3

R.A. & Dec. axes are shipped in their individual boxes, not together in one box.

Hand controller is optional, no longer automatically included with the mount.

Roland Christen

The two axes come separate. When you get them, the Dec axis attaches directly to the Ra with a dovetail system. It is straight forward and easy to do.

I would like to have some details about the best way to package an AP1100 and would like to know how Astro-Physics ships it.

Does it originally come in one or more boxes? What are their dimensions and how heavy are they?

If in one box, does it come in one piece with RA and DEC bolted together?

Should the worm be coupled to the gear? Does it matter?

Is the hand controller in the same box?

Kind regards
Horia

Horia

Thank you Karen, that‘ s very kind.

[...]

Thank you Roland.

During transport, should the worm be coupled to the worm wheel or should it be off? Does it matter?

Kind Regards,

Horia

The two axes come separate. When you get them, the Dec axis attaches directly to the Ra with a dovetail system. It is straight forward and easy to do.

I would like to have some details about the best way to package an AP1100 and would like to know how Astro-Physics ships it.

Does it originally come in one or more boxes? What are their dimensions and how heavy are they?

If in one box, does it come in one piece with RA and DEC bolted together?

Should the worm be coupled to the gear? Does it matter?

Is the hand controller in the same box?

Kind regards

Horia

We normally ship it with the worm coupled. However, great care must be taken to protect the gearbox from being jammed into the mount, so there cannot be any pressure on the gearbox to push it further into mesh. You can unlock the gearbox via the lever (turn it ccw) if you want to make sure that there won't be any pressure on the gears.

Roland

During transport, should the worm be coupled to the worm wheel or should it be off? Does it matter?

Kind Regards,
Horia

The two axes come separate. When you get them, the Dec axis attaches directly to the Ra with a dovetail system. It is straight forward and easy to do.

I would like to have some details about the best way to package an AP1100 and would like to know how Astro-Physics ships it.

Does it originally come in one or more boxes? What are their dimensions and how heavy are they?

If in one box, does it come in one piece with RA and DEC bolted together?

Should the worm be coupled to the gear? Does it matter?

Is the hand controller in the same box?

Kind regards
Horia

To explain further, the RA and Dec axes are supported in their cartons with foam blocks so that the gearbox is suspended in air and is not in contact with packing materials. The prevents the gearbox from being jammed during shipment.

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

[...]

Thanks Jim.

On 2/17/2021 9:49 AM, thefamily90 Phillips wrote:
Tony, you are the man!

[...]

Glad to be of help Horia.

tony

On 2/17/2021 10:59 AM, Horia wrote:

[...]

coolnote@...

Dear Roland, Marj,

I have a CP3 AP1100GTO without the adjustable gear boxes.  Is this generation mount so sensitive to pressure on the gearbox during storage?  I store mine laying on it's side in a wooden box form I made, but I did not put in any supportive foam since I don't transport the mount; while moving it, it's possible that some pressure is applied to the DEC gear box.  If there has been some damage associated with the gearbox pressed into the mount/drive gear, what would I be looking for?

Best, Andrew

Roland Christen

The non-spring mounted gearboxes are not as sensitive, but a hard blow could cause the gears to jam hard into mesh, which would result in stalling during slews. This does not cause damage to the gears, but would simply affect tracking and slewing performance, and would require a simple re-meshing procedure. So it would be prudent to be careful if these mounts are packed up and shipped to someone else. However, simply laying them on the side inside a wooden box won't do anything, so not to worry too much about it. Just applying some pressure won't cause the gears to jam either - it has to be an impact or blow to cause a problem.

I have a CP3 AP1100GTO without the adjustable gear boxes.  Is this generation mount so sensitive to pressure on the gearbox during storage?  I store mine laying on it's side in a wooden box form I made, but I did not put in any supportive foam since I don't transport the mount; while moving it, it's possible that some pressure is applied to the DEC gear box.  If there has been some damage associated with the gearbox pressed into the mount/drive gear, what would I be looking for?

Best, Andrew

coolnote@...

Thank you, Roland, best regards to you and your team at AP.