SH2-171 on Mach2 and new Moravian c3 61000 Pro (Sony IMX 455)

Andrea Lucchetti

Edited

Hi,
as we had some discussions around the new Sony Cmos and Moravian cameras, I am attaching my first image using the combo Mach2 and Moravian C3.

After a number of issues and under a poor sky , I've finally managed to take the image.
LRGB bin 2x2, 12x300s per channel
200mm f 3.9( 4.5 corrected) self built newton telescope
Mount AP Mach2
C3 61000 pro, gain=0
acquisition in NINA: very poor guiding as it was the very first time for me with PHD2
processing in Pixinsight

Compared to the 16803 ccd, this sony sensor has greater dynamic thanks to minimal read noise.
in 2x2, it has better resolution than the 16803 and same Mpixel count.
in 2x2 has a full well of 200k.
I find it very good for RGB and should amazing in narrow band at gain= 2750.
the camera tilting plate works well, and ccd seems very well aligned (I didn't need to play with tilt)
the cooling is effective but not impressive: I achieved -43 deg @95% power. temperature was indeed very stable even at this high power level.

this is the link to the image.
https://andrealucchetti.smugmug.com/What-is-new/i-vStTQ56/A

Andrea

Eric Weiner

Very nice Andrea. I’d be very interested hearing more about your new camera as you get more time with it. I have been seriously considering it for my next purchase. Did you go with the Moravian CFW? Any additional info or experience you have with their camera and accessories will be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Andrea Lucchetti

Edited

Eric,
I used to own their G16803 for about 7 years so I think I know very well Moravian.
the C3 camera I have now has an exetrnal filter wheel , 5 position 50x50mm.
I decided to stick to my moravian filter set from the previous camera and opted for that FW.
if you will decide, I suggest to consider a smaller set but 7 positions: i think my wheel (medium size) can get 7 2 inches round filters.
This camera is a monster with narrow band, and you could like to have O3 and ha.
The camera is very well built, usb 3, fast download time (2x2 is less than one second).
It is not like the FLI proline, but it is about 2.8kg with filter wheel.
don't expect any of the low cost cameras issues: cooling issues, tilting, etc.
they work as advertised

The software package is maintained and sees several updates during the year to support new cameras or features.
They have native drivers for skyx, driver for linux, indi,ascom.
At present they don't have a native driver for NINA ( I requested this) but the Ascom one works just fine.
For people living in Europe support is also very easy, no need for complex custom declarations when you send the camera for maintenance or repair.
Support is great: during the years they helped me to update the electronics till that was possible.

Please let me know if you need specific info and I'll try to answer

Andrea

Eric Weiner

Andrea,

Thank you for the thoughtful response. Receiving such positive feedback from a long time user is very helpful. I use 2” mounted Chroma filters myself, so I understand your suggestion regarding FW sizing. I’m currently running HaRGB, but Oiii and Sii are on my long purchase list.

I do have a few questions when you have time:

Did you purchase your Moravian equipment direct from the factory or are you fortunate enough to have a distributor nearby?

Do you have any experience with their OAG or Ethernet adapter? Although, I don’t see much use for the later.

You mentioned the cooling was effective, but not impressive. Do you have the standard or enhanced cooling model?

I live in the USA, so I am a little apprehensive about a European camera because of the potential for customer support difficulties, but we don’t have any good enthusiast level North American camera options at the moment anyhow. As everyone knows, the Chinese camera manufacturers’ customer and software/driver support is atrocious. At least from North America it is. I’m sure dealing with the folks in the Czech Republic would be much easier.

Thanks again for taking the time to send this information. I will gladly contact you if I think of any more questions.

Regards,
Eric

Luca Marinelli

Beautiful image, Andrea! Congratulations on the new camera.

Luca

[...]

I have no interest in Moravian but I like their work

Andrea Lucchetti

Eric, see here below:
Q:Did you purchase your Moravian equipment direct from the factory or are you fortunate enough to have a distributor nearby?
A: I have a distributor now  but I can tell you I bought the first camera directly from them and it was the same. but I understand the concern. sending material in the US from here is a nightmare (if you don't fix the papers before the shipment you get 24% duties on the original value...)

Q:Do you have any experience with their OAG or Ethernet adapter? Although, I don’t see much use for the later.
A: no, in the past I had a monster MOAG from Astrodon. I suppose the OAG is perfect if you use a moravian guider. I've tried a usb 3.0 extender and it works. of course if you need to run cables in conduits that doesn't work but in my experience it is better to have a pc nearby and have a remote desktop connection to that pc.

Q:You mentioned the cooling was effective, but not impressive. Do you have the standard or enhanced cooling model?
A: standard model. with this cmos I don't think a few degrees below really matters.  noise is very low in any case. and the camera lighter.

You can always PM me if you need more info, pictures, frames, etc
Andrea

Il giorno lun 27 set 2021 alle ore 22:45 Eric Weiner <weinere@...> ha scritto:

[...]

thank you Luca!