Topics

Setting Up a Pointing Model With APPM and a Dome Observatory

Tony Benjamin

Edited

I am using SGP and a Nexdome with APPM and have a few questions:

1) Once I connect the equipment in APPM I expected it to take any needed info from the mount/V2 driver and from SGP but I notice:
  • the lat and longs do not seem to be the same (+123 long in one and -123 long in another)?; and
  • the image scale stays at 1.13 in APPM but it is (correctly) 1.92 in SGP...do I have to set that manually?

2) When I initially start the modelling run and it goes to that 1st Zenith point (near Hip 3444) my Dome will not move for about 25sec after the scope slews into position. What is the preferred method of giving the Dome time to calculate/slew into position before the camera tries to take a pic and plate solve? Do I have to check that box that says I will manually tell it when to take a picture or is there some other way to add that delay in APPM? Is there anyway to get the Dome to follow the scope immediately once it starts slewing or is there no way around that time delay?

I added a photo album with those 2 pics as they seem quite small...but the resolution of the pics in the photo album kinda sucks :(

Ray Gralak

* the lat and longs do not seem to be the same (+123 long in one and -123 long in another)?; and
As long as the site lat/long values are set correctly in each application, you don't need to worry about this.

* the image scale stays at 1.13 in APPM but it is (correctly) 1.92 in SGP...do I have to set that manually?
APPM does not/cannot read SGP settings, so, yes, you must set the value in APPM.

2) When I initially start the modelling run and it goes to that 1st Zenith...
is there no way around that time delay?
I don't know why there is a delay. APPM sends RA/Dec to the mount and dome (if connected) asynchronously and waits for both to complete before taking an image. APPM has no other involvement in dome movement other than to issue the move to the dome driver and wait for the dome driver to say the dome is done moving.

-Ray Gralak

[...]

So, in APCC it has +123 Long and in APPM it has -123 Long? So do I change APPM to +123 or does it make any difference at all?

And why doesn't APPM take the values from APCC?

Ray Gralak

Yes, Astro-Physics mount longitude values are the negative of geographic longitude values.

And again, you don't need to worry about that.