Seeking CP3 Control Box with V2 Chip


Chris White
 

I've been dead in the water for a few weeks after my 900GTO and scope was rained on.  I thought that the mount was ok, but it turns out I am having issues with the CP4.  I have to send it in to AP for repair, but I thought in the meantime to get up and running I would check to see if anyone happens to have a CP3 V2 laying around that they would be willing to part with. 

If so, please private message me.

Thank you!


fernandorivera3
 

For your 900 GTO mount the V2 chip is not required. You could do with the V chip. Even the V1 is not needed either. Both the V1 & V2 are for encoder mounts. Your 900 GTO is not capable of having encoders installed. 

Fernando


Bill Long
 

The V chip is required for APCC I believe.


From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of fernandorivera3 via groups.io <fernandorivera3@...>
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 2:56 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Seeking CP3 Control Box with V2 Chip
 
For your 900 GTO mount the V2 chip is not required. You could do with the V chip. Even the V1 is not needed either. Both the V1 & V2 are for encoder mounts. Your 900 GTO is not capable of having encoders installed. 

Fernando


Steven Panish
 

Chris,
I could send you mine as a loaner.  I don't want to sell it, although I almost never use it.

Steve

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 5:47 PM Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
I've been dead in the water for a few weeks after my 900GTO and scope was rained on.  I thought that the mount was ok, but it turns out I am having issues with the CP4.  I have to send it in to AP for repair, but I thought in the meantime to get up and running I would check to see if anyone happens to have a CP3 V2 laying around that they would be willing to part with. 

If so, please private message me.

Thank you!


Steven Panish
 

Ooops..never mind, I was thinking handbox!!!!  Sorry.
Steve

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 6:34 PM Steven Panish via groups.io <scpanish=panishnet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Chris,
I could send you mine as a loaner.  I don't want to sell it, although I almost never use it.

Steve

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 5:47 PM Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
I've been dead in the water for a few weeks after my 900GTO and scope was rained on.  I thought that the mount was ok, but it turns out I am having issues with the CP4.  I have to send it in to AP for repair, but I thought in the meantime to get up and running I would check to see if anyone happens to have a CP3 V2 laying around that they would be willing to part with. 

If so, please private message me.

Thank you!


Chris White
 

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 05:56 PM, fernandorivera3 wrote:
For your 900 GTO mount the V2 chip is not required. You could do with the V chip. Even the V1 is not needed either. Both the V1 & V2 are for encoder mounts. Your 900 GTO is not capable of having encoders installed. 

Fernando
Hmmm... I though the V2 chip was needed for APCCPro Modeling.  Maybe I'm wrong, and if thats the case I guess any of the "V" chips would work.


Chris White
 

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 06:36 PM, Steven Panish wrote:
Ooops..never mind, I was thinking handbox!!!!  Sorry.
Steve
Very kind of you to offer though Steve!


Christopher Erickson
 

My understanding is that using any CP3 with APCC standard or pro, a V2 chip is required, regardless of mount model.

"My advice is always free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii


On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 12:56 PM Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 05:56 PM, fernandorivera3 wrote:
For your 900 GTO mount the V2 chip is not required. You could do with the V chip. Even the V1 is not needed either. Both the V1 & V2 are for encoder mounts. Your 900 GTO is not capable of having encoders installed. 

Fernando
Hmmm... I though the V2 chip was needed for APCCPro Modeling.  Maybe I'm wrong, and if thats the case I guess any of the "V" chips would work.


Chris White
 

Fernando,   I fid find this on AP website: The Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC) requires either the CP4 control box or the CP3 control box with the V2 chip installed.


So it would seem I'm looking for the cp3 v2. 


 

Chris,

 

According to the APCC requirements, you only need the V chip. If the custom tracking rates are important, the V1 chip.  BTW, we can provide a loaner for you while yours is in for evaluation/repair.

 

These are the additional features in the V1 and V2.:

 

Version V2

• Optimized RA and DEC guiding corrections for Absolute and Precision Encoders.

 

Version V1

• Increased the range of the custom tracking rates from 99x to 999x. NOTE: Implemented in ASCOM V2 Driver v.5.10.00 and APCC v.1.6.0.0.

• Improved autoguider performance for mounts with Absolute Encoders or Precision Encoders.

• Fixed bug that occasionally moved DEC to the wrong place when returning from overshoot ("DEC Dither") in fork mode.

 

 

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris White
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2021 9:05 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Seeking CP3 Control Box with V2 Chip

 

Fernando,   I fid find this on AP website: The Astro-Physics Command Center (APCC) requires either the CP4 control box or the CP3 control box with the V2 chip installed.


So it would seem I'm looking for the cp3 v2. 


Chris White
 

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 10:59 PM, Marj Christen wrote:

Chris,

 

According to the APCC requirements, you only need the V chip. If the custom tracking rates are important, the V1 chip.  BTW, we can provide a loaner for you while yours is in for evaluation/repair.

 

These are the additional features in the V1 and V2.:

 

Version V2

• Optimized RA and DEC guiding corrections for Absolute and Precision Encoders.

 

Version V1

• Increased the range of the custom tracking rates from 99x to 999x. NOTE: Implemented in ASCOM V2 Driver v.5.10.00 and APCC v.1.6.0.0.

• Improved autoguider performance for mounts with Absolute Encoders or Precision Encoders.

• Fixed bug that occasionally moved DEC to the wrong place when returning from overshoot ("DEC Dither") in fork mode.

 

 

Clear Skies,

Marj Christen

Astro-Physics

11250 Forest Hills Road

Machesney Park, IL 61115

Phone: 815-282-1513

www.astro-physics.com

Wow!  You can!?  That's amazing.  :-)

I'll send an email to you to set that up.  Thank you so much!


Chris White
 

I'm thrilled to report that the loaner CP4 has arrived from AP.  My damaged unit probably passed it in the mail over the weekend... lol. 

I installed the loaner CP4 and all is well.  The mount behaves as it should.  It was interesting to see that there has been a case design change with the CP4.  Mine had the dovetails on the short ends of the case, while the loaner is on the long ends of the case.  I had to scoot the CP mount down the RA axis to the lower bolt mount only otherwise it hit the RA motor box.  I'm guessing that the redesign was for later generation mounts than the 900GTO?  In any event it's a non-issue.

I am curious about my PemPro Curve though.  Is this stored in the CP unit?  If so I imagine I will need to generate a new PEC curve for the loaner box.  I didnt think to make a backup of the PEC curve and if it is on the controller I sent back I'll have to see if AP can download that for me so I can reload. 

That leads me to another question, would the old curve even be valid anymore? In my testing the mount did wander a bit after the motor stalls with the old box and this was not registered by the driver.  I didnt rotate the spur gear manually or anything, so maybe that doesnt matter and the old curve would still work?

A huge thank you to AP for lending me this CP4 while mine is back for repairs! Wonderful customer service!!!


Roland Christen
 

Make a new curve. The old ones wear out with use.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris White <chris.white@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Oct 5, 2021 3:53 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Seeking CP3 Control Box with V2 Chip

I'm thrilled to report that the loaner CP4 has arrived from AP.  My damaged unit probably passed it in the mail over the weekend... lol. 

I installed the loaner CP4 and all is well.  The mount behaves as it should.  It was interesting to see that there has been a case design change with the CP4.  Mine had the dovetails on the short ends of the case, while the loaner is on the long ends of the case.  I had to scoot the CP mount down the RA axis to the lower bolt mount only otherwise it hit the RA motor box.  I'm guessing that the redesign was for later generation mounts than the 900GTO?  In any event it's a non-issue.

I am curious about my PemPro Curve though.  Is this stored in the CP unit?  If so I imagine I will need to generate a new PEC curve for the loaner box.  I didnt think to make a backup of the PEC curve and if it is on the controller I sent back I'll have to see if AP can download that for me so I can reload. 

That leads me to another question, would the old curve even be valid anymore? In my testing the mount did wander a bit after the motor stalls with the old box and this was not registered by the driver.  I didnt rotate the spur gear manually or anything, so maybe that doesnt matter and the old curve would still work?

A huge thank you to AP for lending me this CP4 while mine is back for repairs! Wonderful customer service!!!

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Chris White
 

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 05:36 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
Make a new curve. The old ones wear out with use.
 
Rolando
But that old pair of tattered blue jeans is still my most comfortable pair of pants!

Thanks Roland!!


fernandorivera3
 

Chris, "out with the old, in with the new" regarding a PEC curve.

Fernando


Chris White
 

Guess I have one more followup question.  If I make a PEC curve with the loaner CP4 will I ba able to keep that curve when I get mine back from repair, or will it require a new curve be generated at that time?


Christopher Erickson
 

Every time a new CP3/4 is placed on a mount, a new curve has to be generated and stored in that CP3/4.

"My advice is always free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii


On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 11:50 AM Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
Guess I have one more followup question.  If I make a PEC curve with the loaner CP4 will I ba able to keep that curve when I get mine back from repair, or will it require a new curve be generated at that time?


Roland Christen
 

The way PEMPro works, you can store the curve on your laptop and load it onto the same CP4 at any time. However, when you change CPs, I would worry that the timing would not be the same. I will have to check with our servo engineer and get back to you.

That said, doing a Pempro run is actually fun, and the more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Oct 6, 2021 5:37 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Seeking CP3 Control Box with V2 Chip

Every time a new CP3/4 is placed on a mount, a new curve has to be generated and stored in that CP3/4.

"My advice is always free and worth every penny!"

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii


On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 11:50 AM Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
Guess I have one more followup question.  If I make a PEC curve with the loaner CP4 will I ba able to keep that curve when I get mine back from repair, or will it require a new curve be generated at that time?

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics


Chris White
 

I would be interested to know the answer, however you are correct... a pempro curve is not too tough to generate... and fun. 😀


Chris White
 

For those interested, I spoke with Dave today and as long as the mount doesn't move it is OK to download your PEC curve, change CP's and then upload that curve to the new unit.