Screen shot on a coooold night (Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR)

Roland Christen

So it's now -11F outside and still dropping. Mount's tracking well, no issues with anything mechanical or electronics. Mach 2 is running smooth as butter. Guider scale is 1.16 arc sec per pixel with multi-star guiding, 5 seconds guide exposure.

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Feb 13, 2021 8:44 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] [ap-ug] Gonna shoot tonight - it's clear and BRRRRR

The Mach2 balances easily regardless of temperature. It has clutches, so the one thing that is different from the Mach1 is that the clutch end is on needle bearings versus the Mach1 bushing. The Mach1 also allowed the user to back off the worm so that the axis could swing free. But this has a downside if the user inadvertently does this in the wrong place with a huge imbalance. You can run the tops of the teeth over each other and cause damage. The Mach2 does away with that. No chance that the gear teeth can ever be damaged. Clutchless mounts have no other way to allow the axis to swing free - they must allow backing the worm teeth off the worm wheel.

Terri Zittritsch

Hi Roland, I was running my mach2 down to -6 on Friday night without issue.   And still getting 0.59", 0.24 pixel error. which is fine for my imaging scale.   I use PHD2 and this is typical for me.  I never see guiding graphs like you see, which makes me think  that Maxim DL graphs something different than PHD2.     My RMS error for RA was .37" (0.15 pix)  and my DEC error was .45" (0.18pix).    So I haven't found my mounts limit yet and suspect my limit may be hit before my mounts.

Terri

Dean Jacobsen

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 07:20 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
So it's now -11F outside and still dropping. Mount's tracking well, no issues with anything mechanical or electronics. Mach 2 is running smooth as butter. Guider scale is 1.16 arc sec per pixel with multi-star guiding, 5 seconds guide exposure.
Standard encoders or extended range encoders?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Bill Long

Standard.

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 07:20 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
So it's now -11F outside and still dropping. Mount's tracking well, no issues with anything mechanical or electronics. Mach 2 is running smooth as butter. Guider scale is 1.16 arc sec per pixel with multi-star guiding, 5 seconds guide exposure.
Standard encoders or extended range encoders?
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/
Amateur Radio Call Sign - W6DBJ

Roland Christen

Well, my night started off with .6 RMS error as the temperature plunged after sunset. But after a few hours, and especially close to midnight, the seeing steadied up and the stars went from 4 arc sec blobs to 1.8 arc sec. That's typical of the wide open spaces of the Midwest when we are under a high pressure dome like what's happening right now. Clear sky Clock can tell you pretty well what your seeing is going to be, and that's basically what you have to work with. Poor seeing = poor guiding results.

I do 5 second exposures with 2 second delay between exposures. I'm also now using multi-star guiding, but even that does not guarantee good guiding if the seeing is bad. You can always judge your seeing by looking at the Dec axis guide star fluctuations with corrections turned off. Since Dec stands perfectly still and does zero tracking, any fluctuations are totally due to the atmosphere. That will be your baseline which you cannot get better. PHD has a guide assistant that shows all the details. It's really a powerful program. MaximDL by comparison is rather basic.

Hi Roland, I was running my mach2 down to -6 on Friday night without issue.   And still getting 0.59", 0.24 pixel error. which is fine for my imaging scale.   I use PHD2 and this is typical for me.  I never see guiding graphs like you see, which makes me think  that Maxim DL graphs something different than PHD2.     My RMS error for RA was .37" (0.15 pix)  and my DEC error was .45" (0.18pix).    So I haven't found my mounts limit yet and suspect my limit may be hit before my mounts.

Terri

I have standard encoders on my observatory mount.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 07:51 AM, Roland Christen wrote:
I have standard encoders on my observatory mount.
Thanks Roland, and thanks for the guiding tips.