Running APMM with Moon

mjb87@...

Edited

My Mach2 is all set now for APPM. Just waiting for a clear night. The next slot looks to be Saturday through Monday but the moon is out (46% on Monday).

Is it practical to run APPM with the Moon out? I've got Bortle 4/5 skies.

Marty

Hi Marty

in my experience an APPM run during moon is okay and results in a perfectly fine model. You may have some failed solves around the sky area with moon in it, but it should only be a couple of failed points

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 2:33 PM mjb87 via groups.io <mjb87=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
My Mach2 is all set now for APMM. Just waiting for a clear night. The next slot looks to be Saturday through Monday but the moon is out (46% on Monday).

Is it practical to run APMM with the Moon out? I've got Bortle 4/5 skies.

Marty

--
Brian

Brian Valente

david w pearson

i usually do my APMM models during full moon using Luminance filter....Haven't lost a point yet near the moon, even when I have seen the moon's reflection in the image.
maybe lucky so far.    the only points i have lost is always far from the moon.
doesn't seem to affect the model performance.
dave

mjb87@...

Thanks very much for the advice.

My apologies for the APPM in the title -- I keep getting it all confused.