Rest API

davidcfinch9

I for the life of me can’t get APCC to display the Rest -API  as an option. All of my settings seem to allow it. I also cannot find any documentation on this issue.

Regards,

David C. Finch

Hi David

Assuming you are on the latest release, go to advanced settings and make sure enable REST API and then restart APCC

image.png

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 9:16 AM davidcfinch9 via groups.io <DF121819=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I for the life of me can’t get APCC to display the Rest -API  as an option. All of my settings seem to allow it. I also cannot find any documentation on this issue.

Regards,

David C. Finch

PS

Here's a video on how to set it up!

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 9:16 AM davidcfinch9 via groups.io <DF121819=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I for the life of me can’t get APCC to display the Rest -API  as an option. All of my settings seem to allow it. I also cannot find any documentation on this issue.

Regards,

David C. Finch

Arvind

+1 to the video. As an APCC noob I was able to get it done in my second try after watching the video from Brian. (The first time I tried, I forgot to restart APCC -- something Brian clearly reminds us to do :-) ).

--

davidcfinch9

When I check for updates it says I have the latest version. However, my Advanced Setting Window does not look like that. I have API as a third box and no Ascom Drives check box.

Regards,

David C. Finch

Assuming you are on the latest release, go to advanced settings and make sure enable REST API and then restart APCC

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 9:16 AM davidcfinch9 via groups.io <DF121819=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I for the life of me can’t get APCC to display the Rest -API  as an option. All of my settings seem to allow it. I also cannot find any documentation on this issue.

Regards,

David C. Finch

--

David what version are you running?

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 11:43 AM davidcfinch9 via groups.io <DF121819=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

When I check for updates it says I have the latest version. However, my Advanced Setting Window does not look like that. I have API as a third box and no Ascom Drives check box.

Regards,

David C. Finch

Assuming you are on the latest release, go to advanced settings and make sure enable REST API and then restart APCC

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 9:16 AM davidcfinch9 via groups.io <DF121819=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I for the life of me can’t get APCC to display the Rest -API  as an option. All of my settings seem to allow it. I also cannot find any documentation on this issue.

Regards,

David C. Finch

--

davidcfinch9

I followed the steps ion the video to at “T.” Yet, Rest-API does not show up as an option.

Regards,

David C. Finch

I for the life of me can’t get APCC to display the Rest -API  as an option. All of my settings seem to allow it. I also cannot find any documentation on this issue.

Regards,

David C. Finch

--

davidcfinch9

I restarted APCC-no joy.

David

When I check for updates it says I have the latest version. However, my Advanced Setting Window does not look like that. I have API as a third box and no Ascom Drives check box.

Regards,

David C. Finch

Assuming you are on the latest release, go to advanced settings and make sure enable REST API and then restart APCC

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 9:16 AM davidcfinch9 via groups.io <DF121819=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I for the life of me can’t get APCC to display the Rest -API  as an option. All of my settings seem to allow it. I also cannot find any documentation on this issue.

Regards,

David C. Finch

Hi David

my apologies for sending an incorrect screen grab,

The video link i sent should walk you through what you need to do.

in 1.9.4.3 on the API tab in advanced settings you should have an option to Enable REST API

select that and restart APCC.

If you are still running into problems, please PM me and we can sort it out

image.png

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 12:09 PM davidcfinch9 via groups.io <DF121819=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

1.9.4.3

When I check for updates it says I have the latest version. However, my Advanced Setting Window does not look like that. I have API as a third box and no Ascom Drives check box.

Regards,

David C. Finch

Assuming you are on the latest release, go to advanced settings and make sure enable REST API and then restart APCC

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 9:16 AM davidcfinch9 via groups.io <DF121819=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I for the life of me can’t get APCC to display the Rest -API  as an option. All of my settings seem to allow it. I also cannot find any documentation on this issue.

Regards,

David C. Finch

David I will contact you offlist

On Fri, Dec 9, 2022 at 12:01 PM davidcfinch9 via groups.io <DF121819=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I followed the steps ion the video to at “T.” Yet, Rest-API does not show up as an option.

Regards,

David C. Finch

I for the life of me can’t get APCC to display the Rest -API  as an option. All of my settings seem to allow it. I also cannot find any documentation on this issue.

Regards,

David C. Finch

--

George LaBelle

Edited

I'm using Win 10, but it is probably inevitable that I'll have to go to some future version eventually. I believe that is the reason RestAPI was developed?

The first part of the OP's question was answered, but not the second. What is "Rest API" and how does it work? I've looked for documentation but haven't found it.

Thanks.
--
George
Prineville, Oregon

ap@CaptivePhotons.com

On Sat, Dec 10, 2022 at 10:31 AM, George LaBelle wrote:
I'm using Win 10, but it is probably inevitable that I'll have to go to some future version eventually. I believe that is the reason RestAPI was developed?

The first part of the OP's question was answered, but not the second. What is "Rest API" and how does it work? I've looked for documentation but haven't found it.
The original virtual ports interface uses a 3rd party software to create virtual ports. It has been failing for some people, for reasons unclear, and the 3rd party did not seem willing to address the issue.

Ray implemented the REST interface to allow people to avoid that software, and thus those problems.

A rest interface (REpresentational State Transfer) is a fairly standard interface (today) that works over IP (internet protocol, though the internet itself is not involved in this case) and is well documented and standardized.  in this case it is between two pieces of software from AP, the ASCOM driver and the APCC software. Conceptually it does the same thing as virtual ports -- it provides a path between these two items. In a loose sense, think of the path as a web server/web browser emulation, as opposed to a serial cable emulation.

It was not done for Windows 11 or Windows 10 specifically and should remain unaffected by windows versions.

Linwood

George LaBelle

Linwood, thanks for the reply.

So if I was to just "enable" the REST API and do nothing else (virtual ports still assigned, etc.) it would all work as before?
I got the impression from previous posts that it needed ethernet to work.

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

Arvind

The rest api is for localhost communication between APCC and the driver that is running on the same computer. So Ethernet (wired or wireless) is not involved in this particular case.

On Sat, Dec 10, 2022 at 07:58 George LaBelle <george.labelle@...> wrote:
Linwood, thanks for the reply.

So if I was to just "enable" the REST API and do nothing else (virtual ports still assigned, etc.) it would all work as before?
I got the impression from previous posts that it needed ethernet to work.

--
George
Prineville, Oregon

nhouck@...

Generally an API is for sending commands to the software such as if you write a plugin which needs to send commands to control the software.  It is not about the software to driver interface which is internal and not exposed as an API.

API = application programming interface

That said I don’t know what the setup is here.

Unless you plan to use plugins or write software to talk to APPM you shouldn’t need to worry about this.