Replacement azimuth clamps for 600E series

Ron Wodaski <ronw@...>

I have taken some pictures of the replacement clamps I installed on my AP
600 base. They work very well, and are really easy to install. You probably
don't need detailed instructions, but I posted them anyway. The details are
there so folks can see what the result is, and decide if it's worth doing:

http://www.multimediamadness.net/wodaski/ap600clamp.htm

Links to the McMaster-Carr web site and to the catalog page where these
puppies are sold are on the page above.

Next project: those big bolts that lock down altitude adjustment. Anyone
happen to know the thread on those, to save me a trip to the hardware store
to find out?

Ron Wodaski

Stephen E. Russell <sjruss55@...>

Hi Ron,
The manual says M12, but not sure of the pitch if it might be fine or not.
So far I managed to keep the right tension on them where I can adjust the
altitude fairly easily. But this might be a good way to eliminate another
Allen wrench.
Does McMaster Carr have anything in SS this large?
I like the "bat handles" you found.
I wait for you to get the other parts, then I'll order some.
Thanks for nice visual instructions.
Stephen

I have taken some pictures of the replacement clamps I installed on my AP
600 base. They work very well, and are really easy to install. You probably
don't need detailed instructions, but I posted them anyway. The details are
there so folks can see what the result is, and decide if it's worth doing:

http://www.multimediamadness.net/wodaski/ap600clamp.htm

Links to the McMaster-Carr web site and to the catalog page where these
puppies are sold are on the page above.

Next project: those big bolts that lock down altitude adjustment. Anyone
happen to know the thread on those, to save me a trip to the hardware store
to find out?

Ron Wodaski

Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here:
http://click.egroups.com/1/2622/3/_/3615/_/954011255/

-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ap-gto&m=1

John Gleason

Ron,

Thank you for posting the pictures. Very informative. Need to look at
doing this for my 1200.

John Gleason, dvj@earthlink.net
http://www.celestialimage.com

----------
From: Ron Wodaski <ronw@nwlink.com>
To: ap-gto@egroups.com
Date: Saturday, March 25, 2000 11:08 AM

[...]

Marj <astrophy@...>

Ron,
You are full of good ideas and your explanations are very clear (looking for
a technical writer/customer service job?). The side bolts on the 600E mount
are M12x1.75P. An alternate supplier is Reid Tool Supply Co.
Phone:1-800-253-0421 (at least as of 1997). We have provided them to several
people in northern latitudes since the normal knob would be in the way. I
don't know the exact part number.

We did consider this type of handle a couple of years ago, but did not add
them as a standard item to the mount for several reasons:
The stainless handles are very expensive, but less expensive ones would
rust. Since few people would realize the benefits, the cost was prohibitive.
The mounts are already expensive to produce.
The handles would protrude from the side and would be likely to be damaged
when people lay their mounts down (and they do), especially the plastic
handles.

Having said this, it is a great idea for our tips and techniques section of
the web site, if we ever have time to work on it.

[...]

Thanks for the numbers of the side bolts. For myself, I never lay the mount
down, so I'd like to get some knobs on the side that can be tightened by
hand. The zinc will corrode a bit, but not in a messy way, and the ones I
purchased have steel inserts for the threads, so I don't have to worry about
them binding after a few dewy nights. It won't bother me if I have to change
them out after a couple of years.

I can understand the logic behind wanting to put something out the door that
is affordable and supportable; makes sense to me -- you can't possibly make
a perfect anything; everyone has different ways of working. It's fun, though
to come up with alternate solutions so that different folks can choose what
works best for them. After all, even very high-end automobiles are always
getting customized; that's part of the fun. <g>

I've written a number of books on technical subjects for general audiences,
so I guess you could say I have explaining things in my blood. <g> It's just
something I love to do. I like to see explanations that work for the
broadest possible range of folks. It's challenging to put aside one's own
assumptions and write with your audience uppermost in your mind, but that's
really the best way to convey technical information. Being objective about
your assumptions is also difficult, but necessary.

I know that you are looking for someone onsite for your technical
writer/customer service job. I am interested in pursuing this, but would
have to think about relocation.

Ron Wodaski

[...]

http://click.egroups.com/1/2377/3/_/3615/_/954190313/

-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=ap-gto&m=1

David A. Silva <dasilva@...>

Hi Ron

User suggested improvements - from the current metal motor covers to
the lever handles on the tripods. - were the source of many updates to
the GM8 and G11 mounts. There is always someone out there who conceives
an elegant improvement to a product(g).

-David

PS: Another thanks and kudos for your own improvements!

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:17:48 -0800, Ron Wodaski wrote:

I can understand the logic behind wanting to put something out the door that
is affordable and supportable; makes sense to me -- you can't possibly make
a perfect anything; everyone has different ways of working. It's fun, though
to come up with alternate solutions so that different folks can choose what
works best for them. After all, even very high-end automobiles are always
getting customized; that's part of the fun. <g>

SteppZimmr@...

Thanks again, Ron. Please let us know how the new handles work out when you
have a chance. I am following you modifications with great interest. I have
just joined this group. Are there any previous modifications I missed?

Peter

Ron Wodaski <ronw@...>

For anyone who would like to lay there mount down, there is a good option
from the same source. The parts I have outlined on my web site are "normally
engaged," in the sense that, if you turn the handle, the screw turns as
well. you can lift the handle a quarter of an inch to disengage, and
reposition the handle.

McMaster-Carr offers another little handle, which just arrived today, that
is "normally disengaged." That is, the handle turns freely, but if you press
down on the handle, it engages the screw and you can adjust it. This has the
nice safety feature that if you bump the handle at any time, you will not
change the tension on the screw. The part information is:

Part number 6610K33, "Teardrop plastic safety adjustable clamping handle M6
threaded stud, 20mm stud length, 35mm handle"

The plastic looks like it would tolerate moisture well. I have not installed
this part on my mount (it's packed up for a trip to Arizona right now), but
I will give these a try in a week or two and report back.

Ron Wodaski