From: Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...>
Date: 4/20/20 12:15 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] RAPAS on Mach2

For what its worth -- I used a polemaster and never found it to work very well, other than a rough alignment tool. I have had better results with a RAPAS unit that was calibrated after a PEMPro alignment was completed. That does a great job of getting me aligned quickly, and easily. Well before Polemaster can even display stars.

I now have a RAPAS as well.    It's hard to know the accuracy difference, and how close you can eyeball it but the only way to do a good polar align without a computer.    I'll report back once I've adjusted the RAPAS holder after another good polar alignment.   The polemaster does require it to be darker out, especially at the higher gain settings that I seem to need to lock onto the fine adjustment stars.   I'm hopeful my experience over the past weekend is repeatable.

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi guys,
   I had the same experience with PoleMaster and Sharpcap using the PoleMaster camera for quite a while. Polar alignment was terrible after using either methods: > 10' error after checking with PHD drift align. I thought it was because my PoleMaster was not mounted on my saddle rather than on the RA rotation axis.

  However recently, PoleMaster (without using Sharpcap) gave PA accuracy < 2'. What changed? Here's where I will start an urban legend because I can't explain it. Since I have a portable setup, I do the following after setting most of it up:

      Bad way: Previously, I always say Don't Unpark -> Yes to Popup. Finish monkeying around a bit more. Then Unpark from Park 3. Do PoleMaster routines.

      Good way: Now I say "Unpark from park 3" -> Cancel to Popup -> Park to Park 3. Finish monkeying around a bit more. Then Unpark from Last Park. Do PoleMaster routines.

   Being paranoid, I always use PHD2 to check PA with drift align (modified using Roland's routine by checking drift at the zenith rather than slewing East to do Alt adjust). Now using the "Good way", I don't need to do Az adjusts pointing south, small Alt adjusts when pointing to the zenith. And the PA errors are a lot better.

YMMV

cytan

On Monday, April 20, 2020, 12:23:49 PM CDT, Greg Salyer <astronutcase@...> wrote:

Terri, I had the same experience with PoleMaster. Just couldn’t get it closer than about 8’. However, I later found that my scope was slightly skewed from the mount. I suspect that was the problem. I fixed it but haven’t tried PoleMaster since. I just don’t want to take a chance of messing up the alignment I achieved with PEMPro.

Greg

On Apr 20, 2020, at 1:15 PM, Terri Zittritsch <theresamarie11@...> wrote:

For what its worth -- I used a polemaster and never found it to work very well, other than a rough alignment tool. I have had better results with a RAPAS unit that was calibrated after a PEMPro alignment was completed. That does a great job of getting me aligned quickly, and easily. Well before Polemaster can even display stars.

I now have a RAPAS as well.    It's hard to know the accuracy difference, and how close you can eyeball it but the only way to do a good polar align without a computer.    I'll report back once I've adjusted the RAPAS holder after another good polar alignment.   The polemaster does require it to be darker out, especially at the higher gain settings that I seem to need to lock onto the fine adjustment stars.   I'm hopeful my experience over the past weekend is repeatable.

Cheng-Yang Tan

Sorry, I meant "I thought it was because my PoleMaster *was mounted* on my saddle rather than on the RA rotation axis."

On Monday, April 20, 2020, 12:40:16 PM CDT, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...> wrote:

[...]

Terri Zittritsch

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 01:23 PM, Greg Salyer wrote:
erri, I had the same experience with PoleMaster. Just couldn’t get it closer than about 8’. However, I later found that my scope was slightly skewed from the mount. I suspect that was the problem. I fixed it but haven’t tried PoleMaster since. I just don’t want to take a chance of messing up the alignment I achieved with PEMPro.

Greg
If you were only seeing 8' of alignment, that sounds close to the advertised accuracy of the gross alignment (putting polaris in the dashed circle), versus the monitor alignment.    The manual is pretty vague as to how things work.  I just went to the QHY site and looked at their FAQ, they do mention that precision alignment can be poor in situations of poor signal to noise (maybe exposure too low).   If in doubt, crank up your exposure time to the next level and see if that improves things.    I also used the atmospheric correction (always have it on) which requires setting your temp and pressure, but for me at 45 degrees lattitude, it's not very much.   If you're closer to the equator, it might be more of a factor.

Terri Zittritsch

I thought I'd confirm, for those interested in using the Polemaster, that my exposure time increase did fix my accuracy issues in the fine tune step of polar alignment.
Last night, I measured a DEC drift of essentially zero again in PHD2 using only the Polemaster.      So if you're getting poor results, like I was, turn up the exposure time.   I was previously turning up both exposure and gain, last night after thinking about gain vs. exposure, I turned up just exposure and received the same good results.   So I have to retract my first post comments about accuracy, the Polemaster can do a very good job.

I also adjusted my RAPAS, to the best that I could do.. this is a tricky process, in the dark, with two small allan wrenches.    I tried some repeatability tests, plugging and unplugging the RAPAS.   There is some small amount of seating that I noticed.. that I need to wiggle (wrong word but don't have the right one) the RAPAS bracket, for the image location to stabilize.   It's more grabbing the bracket and flexing back and forth.. but it was repeatable and now that I know I must do it, it's ok.   Next time I will check how good the RAPAS polar aligns compared to Polemaster.

As a public service warning:
Note, that while in the dark, be VERY CAREFUL about rotating a Mach2 with RAPAS attached.   My head does not allow me to get my dominant eye (right eye) into the RAPAS with a telescope installed.   So I have to rotate the scope to opposite side of RAPAS, for me it is west, and you have to be careful you don't go too far... because the mount/weights can and will hit the RAPAS and if the weights are up high, it doesn't have to go very far!

I think APCC or the driver should have a message come up when you unpark Mach2 mounts, that warns you that you should remember to remove the RAPAS or pay careful attention to your rotation  and RAPAS so no collision occurs.  All of my prior mounts only had polar scopes on the RA axis of rotation, which never have to be removed, so I never gave it a thought.

Bill Long

I went through all of that with Polemaster, and never saw much of a difference. Maybe I had a bad unit or something. At any rate, RAPAS works great for me, and I use PEMPro to check/dial things in further.

Perhaps it is a lack of coffee taking effect this morning, but how on earth did the weights hit the RAPAS? Also, you can put the scope in Park 2 to quickly and easily move it out of the way of the RAPAS.

[...]

W Hilmo

“My head does not allow me to get my dominant eye (right eye) into the RAPAS with a telescope installed.”

I put my mount into Park 4 when using the RAPAS to polar align.  That gets the scope and cabling well out of the way.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:43 PM, Bill Long wrote:
Perhaps it is a lack of coffee taking effect this morning, but how on earth did the weights hit the RAPAS? Also, you can put the scope in Park 2 to quickly and easily move it out of the way of the RAPAS.
Have another cup.   The Mach2 is a smaller mount than you likely have, and/or, you have your RAPAS installed in the RA rotational axis recess.    So being a smaller mount, with no ability to install in the RA axis center, it's on a stalk that sticks out to the right off of the back of the RA housing,  and the optical tube is forward enough (small mount) to run into the weights.   It can hit the weights (I know this for absolute certainty).   I might have designed a bracket that moves it back far enough so as not to interfere with the mounts operation, but I probably shouldn't second guess such things.. I'm not designing mounts for a living.

With a way to do fast, accurate, polar alignment, I'm seeing pretty good performance.   If it wasn't obvious, I really disliked doing tedious polar alignment.   With Polemaster and/or RAPAS, it's going to be fast and not eat into precious dark sky time.

Michael Hambrick <mike.hambrick@...>

What about from Park 2 ?

When I first got my 1100 mount I was setting the polar alignment while the mount was in Park 3. I had to set the alignment and remove the RAPAS before I could attach the scope and camera, then Roland suggested to put the mount in Park 2. Problem solved.

Best Regards

Michael Hambrick
ARLANXEO
TSR Global Manufacturing Support
PO Box 2000
Orange, TX 77631-2000
Phone: +1 (409) 882-2799
email: mike.hambrick@...

Bill Long

On both my mounts, 1100 and Mach 1 the RAPAS is installed at the rear of the RA axis where the tip/tilt plate for calibrating it is located. I am confused as to how on earth a counterweight could ever come anywhere near contacting it. Perhaps a picture of your setup would help?

Park 2, Park 4, and/or Park 5 will all work to keep the OTA out of your face while using RAPAS for alignment.

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 01:01 PM, W Hilmo wrote:

“My head does not allow me to get my dominant eye (right eye) into the RAPAS with a telescope installed.”

I put my mount into Park 4 when using the RAPAS to polar align.  That gets the scope and cabling well out of the way.

Hi Wade, that would likely result in a collision.   You must be talking about a different mount than the Mach2.    I don't see how any park position, other than Park 3, that can be used.. and Park 3 doesn't allow my head to get in there.   Granted, I'm not 'dainty', but I also don't have a head like Andre the Giant either.    I rotate RA every so slightly west from Park 3 to do polar alignment.

Terri

Bill Long

I really need to see a picture of this....

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 01:01 PM, W Hilmo wrote:

“My head does not allow me to get my dominant eye (right eye) into the RAPAS with a telescope installed.”

I put my mount into Park 4 when using the RAPAS to polar align.  That gets the scope and cabling well out of the way.

Hi Wade, that would likely result in a collision.   You must be talking about a different mount than the Mach2.    I don't see how any park position, other than Park 3, that can be used.. and Park 3 doesn't allow my head to get in there.   Granted, I'm not 'dainty', but I also don't have a head like Andre the Giant either.    I rotate RA every so slightly west from Park 3 to do polar alignment.

Terri

W Hilmo

Ah, yes.

I forgot that the Mach2 has a different mounting for the RAPAS…

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 01:01 PM, W Hilmo wrote:

“My head does not allow me to get my dominant eye (right eye) into the RAPAS with a telescope installed.”

I put my mount into Park 4 when using the RAPAS to polar align.  That gets the scope and cabling well out of the way.

Hi Wade, that would likely result in a collision.   You must be talking about a different mount than the Mach2.    I don't see how any park position, other than Park 3, that can be used.. and Park 3 doesn't allow my head to get in there.   Granted, I'm not 'dainty', but I also don't have a head like Andre the Giant either.    I rotate RA every so slightly west from Park 3 to do polar alignment.

Terri

Bill Long

Where does it mount? I looked on the site and did not see a photo of this.

I forgot that the Mach2 has a different mounting for the RAPAS…

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 01:01 PM, W Hilmo wrote:

“My head does not allow me to get my dominant eye (right eye) into the RAPAS with a telescope installed.”

I put my mount into Park 4 when using the RAPAS to polar align.  That gets the scope and cabling well out of the way.

Hi Wade, that would likely result in a collision.   You must be talking about a different mount than the Mach2.    I don't see how any park position, other than Park 3, that can be used.. and Park 3 doesn't allow my head to get in there.   Granted, I'm not 'dainty', but I also don't have a head like Andre the Giant either.    I rotate RA every so slightly west from Park 3 to do polar alignment.

Terri

Woody Schlom

Bill,

Yeah, I was with you not understanding how it could be possible to hit the RAPAS with the CW’s until somebody mentioned that the RAPAS doesn’t mount on the Mach2 the same way it mounts on the Mach1.

Now that I think about it, I do think I once saw a photo of how the RAPAS mounts on the Mach2 and I thought it looked very odd.  Since I don’t anticipate ever being able to update to a Mach2, I didn’t pay it much attention at the time.

Woody

I really need to see a picture of this....

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 01:01 PM, W Hilmo wrote:

“My head does not allow me to get my dominant eye (right eye) into the RAPAS with a telescope installed.”

I put my mount into Park 4 when using the RAPAS to polar align.  That gets the scope and cabling well out of the way.

Hi Wade, that would likely result in a collision.   You must be talking about a different mount than the Mach2.    I don't see how any park position, other than Park 3, that can be used.. and Park 3 doesn't allow my head to get in there.   Granted, I'm not 'dainty', but I also don't have a head like Andre the Giant either.    I rotate RA every so slightly west from Park 3 to do polar alignment.

Terri

David Albers

I was curious myself and found these two pics that show how it attaches. First pic with both the bracket and the RAPAS and the second pic with the bracket on the Mach2.

Dean Jacobsen

Now that is interesting.  Based on that bottom photo, taking the RAPAS off once you set the alignment of Polaris would probably be advisable.
--
Dean Jacobsen
http://astrophoto.net/wp/

Bill Long

Yeah that makes a lot more sense now. Glad it was not just me... 🙂