Topics

RAPAS App

Charles Thompson

From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Christopher Go

Look for PolarFinder.  It is NOT a free app though but worth buying.

Regards,
Chris

At 10:11 PM 3/20/2020 -0500, you wrote:
From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Bill Long

That app is not very good, IMHO. The iOS one looks the same as the AP RAPAS Windows app. Would be nice to have the same offering on Android.

Look for PolarFinder.  It is NOT a free app though but worth buying.

Regards,
Chris

At 10:11 PM 3/20/2020 -0500, you wrote:
From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Woody Schlom

Charles,

You want the Android APP called “PolarFinder.”  There are several APP’s with almost the same name.  You want the one with an icon with a blue background and the Little Dipper in yellow stars.  On the Google Play Store it says it’s by “TechHead.”  It’s written by a guy named Jozef Lazar.  It’s not a free program, but it’s cheap.  And it’s terrific.

Not only does it have a reticule setting for the A-P RAPAS polar scope, but also Tak EM-10, EM-11, EM-400, and a couple of iOptron polar scopes.

Make sure you go into the Tools section (Wrench icon) and set the APP for the RAPAS.  Once done, the screen looks just like the RAPAS reticule.  Just use your mount’s Alt. and Az. adjusting bolts to put the real Polaris in the RAPAS reticule where the APP shows it on the screen.

Once you get the hang of it, it should only take a few seconds.

I highly recommend it.  It’s what I’ve used on my Tak EM-11, Mach1 with RAPAS, and iOptron iEQ45-PRO for years.

Woody

From: Bill Long <bill@...>
Date: 3/20/20 10:37 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: Christopher Go <chris@...>, main@ap-gto.groups.io

That's what I have.

Look for PolarFinder.  It is NOT a free app though but worth buying.

Regards,
Chris

At 10:11 PM 3/20/2020 -0500, you wrote:
From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher Go

Did you go to settings and change to Astrophysics reticle?  This is what I have:

Emacs!

Regards,
Chris

At 03:37 AM 3/21/2020 +0000, you wrote:
That's what I have.

Look for PolarFinder.  It is NOT a free app though but worth buying.

Regards,
Chris

At 10:11 PM 3/20/2020 -0500, you wrote:
From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Frost David

It’s on Astro-Physics website.  Just look there at the RAPAS page.  All the links are there.

On Mar 21, 2020, at 12:11 AM, Christopher Go <chris@...> wrote:

 Did you go to settings and change to Astrophysics reticle?  This is what I have:

<72a7af.jpg>

Regards,
Chris

At 03:37 AM 3/21/2020 +0000, you wrote:
That's what I have.

Look for PolarFinder.  It is NOT a free app though but worth buying.

Regards,
Chris

At 10:11 PM 3/20/2020 -0500, you wrote:
From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Charles Thompson

I don't know how I missed that link on their page. It goes to the PolarFinder app we were discussing so I guess that's that. Thanks for the info!

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

Look for PolarFinder.  It is NOT a free app though but worth buying.

Regards,
Chris

At 10:11 PM 3/20/2020 -0500, you wrote:
From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Donald Rudny

This is the best app to use with RAPAS.  It considers refraction that can be significant at lower latitudes.

Don Rudny
P.O. Box 106
Pepeekeo, HI 96783-0106

312-209-5870

On Mar 20, 2020, at 6:50 PM, Frost David <frosty5@...> wrote:

It’s on Astro-Physics website.  Just look there at the RAPAS page.  All the links are there.

On Mar 21, 2020, at 12:11 AM, Christopher Go <chris@...> wrote:

 Did you go to settings and change to Astrophysics reticle?  This is what I have:

<72a7af.jpg>

Regards,
Chris

At 03:37 AM 3/21/2020 +0000, you wrote:
That's what I have.

Look for PolarFinder.  It is NOT a free app though but worth buying.

Regards,
Chris

At 10:11 PM 3/20/2020 -0500, you wrote:
From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Charles Thompson

That one looks nice but only for the Apple store. I don't see an Android version.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

Look for PolarFinder.  It is NOT a free app though but worth buying.

Regards,
Chris

At 10:11 PM 3/20/2020 -0500, you wrote:
From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher and Vicky Go
Christone Industries
Manufacturer and Exporter of Furniture and Home Decor
Cebu, Philippines
http://www.christone.net
astropage: http://astro.christone.net

Christopher Go

The one I use is an android version.  Please go to settings and change the reticle to Astrophysics.

Regards,
Chris

At 01:20 AM 3/21/2020 -0500, you wrote:
That one looks nice but only for the Apple store. I don't see an Android version.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.

Look for PolarFinder.  It is NOT a free app though but worth buying.

Regards,
Chris

At 10:11 PM 3/20/2020 -0500, you wrote:
From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

[...]

I did not see that setting prior. Much better. Thanks!

Look for PolarFinder.  It is NOT a free app though but worth buying.

Regards,
Chris

At 10:11 PM 3/20/2020 -0500, you wrote:
From time to time I see someone mention the RAPAS phone app. I have looked in the app store and have never found it. Is it only in the Apple store? I'm looking for the Android version of it exists. Any help would be appreciated.

[...]

Robert Berta

These apps (I use the PC version as well as the Android version) have settings for different polar alignment scopes brands and models. I use both the RAPAS for my two AP mounts as well as an Ioptron Sky Guider Pro. It is very important that you use the correct setting on for your mount as some use a mirror in the image train that flips the image....and others are straight through. Also note that when you first launch these apps they will show Polaris position different than what it actually is since I believe it remembers the last time it was used. Once launched wait until it connects with the GPS signal for the correct location on Android devices. I don't have Apple so no sure how that works for them.

Robert Berta

Edited

Forgot to mention.....I use Polar Finder regular version by TechHead. For those of you that already use this....go to Play Store and it will tell you if you have the latest version in the text. March 4th of this year they improved the time it takes to get a GPS link. As I recall this version is free but they have a pro version which probably means you eliminate advertising. The version I use has been trouble free and has worked fine for about 3 years time I have had it. You will know when it corrects to GPS as it will than show your GPS position.

Charles Thompson

I agree Robert, choosing the correct overlay on settings is critical. However, if you have the wrong one you will know immediately. The apps definitely remember the last position and take a few seconds before the dot moves to the new current position. The Android app linked from the AP RAPAS website is the best one I've been able to find. Thanks everyone for all the responses.

Thanks,
Charles

Sent from mobile device.