Rain Event Impact on Mount CP

Chris White

The rain event that I documented over on the AP-UG appears to have also impacted my mount. 

When I attempted to slew the other night I got a motor stall error on DEC, followed by DEC axis starting a slow slew to the south in an uncontrollable movement.  Uncontrollable meaning the mount was unresponsive to the stop command in the ASCOM driver and only by nudging the mount north or south would it arrest. I could repeat the error as every time I tried to move the mount north or south it would produce the motor stall error.  I also once saw a low power error.   RA seemed to slew normally.  So I switched the Y cable from RA to DEC and DEC to RA and DEC began working fine while RA had a motor stall.  I concluded that somehow the Y cable was damaged either by the rain or by me when I disconnected my CP4 to bring it in to dry out. 

I'm hoping that this test is definitive.  I ordered a replacement Y cable (funny enough another counterweight accidentally fell into my shopping cart) and hoping that this resolves my problem.  Anything else I should be concerned about or consider?

Roland Christen

If you can't fix that, please contact George at AP and have him issue a return for the CP4 so we can check it out fully.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Sep 20, 2021 9:37 pm
Subject: [ap-gto] Rain Event Impact on Mount CP

The rain event that I documented over on the AP-UG appears to have also impacted my mount. 

When I attempted to slew the other night I got a motor stall error on DEC, followed by DEC axis starting a slow slew to the south in an uncontrollable movement.  Uncontrollable meaning the mount was unresponsive to the stop command in the ASCOM driver and only by nudging the mount north or south would it arrest. I could repeat the error as every time I tried to move the mount north or south it would produce the motor stall error.  I also once saw a low power error.   RA seemed to slew normally.  So I switched the Y cable from RA to DEC and DEC to RA and DEC began working fine while RA had a motor stall.  I concluded that somehow the Y cable was damaged either by the rain or by me when I disconnected my CP4 to bring it in to dry out. 

I'm hoping that this test is definitive.  I ordered a replacement Y cable (funny enough another counterweight accidentally fell into my shopping cart) and hoping that this resolves my problem.  Anything else I should be concerned about or consider?

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Chris White

Thanks Roland. 

Looks like I'll have the new Y cable Friday, so I'll test it out this weekend.  Fingers crossed. 

Bill Long

I have faith in the cable being the problem. I'll buy Chris a beer if it isnt. 

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> on behalf of Chris White <chris.white@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 7:59 PM
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Rain Event Impact on Mount CP

Thanks Roland. 

Looks like I'll have the new Y cable Friday, so I'll test it out this weekend.  Fingers crossed. 

Chris White

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 11:00 PM, Bill Long wrote:
Bill... when are you going to buy me that beer?

Roland,

Well... the new Y cable has the same effect.  Motor stall error immediately after attempting a slew.  I've contacted george to setup a return for the CP4, however I do have a trouble shooting question just in case this could be relevant.  I noticed the other night when I was trouble shooting that I got a low power error once.  I'm using a Pyramid DC converter that delivers 5A of power.  This also got rained on and I'm wondering if it is possible that this could have been damaged and cause something like the issue I'm having.  I tested the output with a multimeter and getting 12+V of power, but that doesnt mean It's not without issue under load.  I initially ruled this out because when I switched the cable from DEC to RA, the motor stall switched from DEC to RA.  That let me to believe that it was something with the Cable or the CP4. 

Before sending the CP4 in should I buy a replacement power supply and try that first?  Could this fit?

Roland Christen

You can monitor the voltage and current with this:
https://www.astro-physics.com/cabppwm

But I doubt that the issue is the power supply.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Sep 24, 2021 4:05 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Rain Event Impact on Mount CP

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 11:00 PM, Bill Long wrote:
Bill... when are you going to buy me that beer?

Roland,

Well... the new Y cable has the same effect.  Motor stall error immediately after attempting a slew.  I've contacted george to setup a return for the CP4, however I do have a trouble shooting question just in case this could be relevant.  I noticed the other night when I was trouble shooting that I got a low power error once.  I'm using a Pyramid DC converter that delivers 5A of power.  This also got rained on and I'm wondering if it is possible that this could have been damaged and cause something like the issue I'm having.  I tested the output with a multimeter and getting 12+V of power, but that doesnt mean It's not without issue under load.  I initially ruled this out because when I switched the cable from DEC to RA, the motor stall switched from DEC to RA.  That let me to believe that it was something with the Cable or the CP4. 

Before sending the CP4 in should I buy a replacement power supply and try that first?  Could this fit?

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Chris White

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 05:20 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
You can monitor the voltage and current with this:
https://www.astro-physics.com/cabppwm

But I doubt that the issue is the power supply.

Rolando
Yeah, me too.  Especially considering that when the cables are swapped the issue moves to the other motor.  Must be either the cable, or the signal being transmitted. 

I emailed George so I'll plan on sending the CP4 in for inspection.  Thanks Roland.