Questions.....does wireless now work correctly with latest updates AND does your Sky Safari 6 Pro allow multiple Park positions now.

Robert Berta

Background....since I got my 1100 mount (early model) with CP4 I tried to get it to work reliably with Sky Safari 6 Pro wireless via the AP built in wireless module. This is with Android cell phone and also Samsung Galaxy tablets.

In addition I and other AP owners were hoping that Sky Safari 6 Pro would support the multiple choices of Park positions. After updating my CP4 to the latest version firmware I noted that one fix in the update log was an improvement to wireless. Keeping my finger crossed I gave it a try.

I am also a BETA tester for Sky Safari and the version I have now has multiple Park positions including a user selectable position...just like the mount hand controller with latest AP firmware hand controller updates.

I fired up my AP wireless and FINALLY it seemed to work correctly and doesn't drop the connection as both Android and Apple products had issues staying connected before.

Could some other owners test both the wireless with Sky Safari 6Pro and also whether their non-BETA version has the additional Park positions feature now? I am hoping that finally both issues have been put to bed. I will do some more testing myself soon.

midmoastro

Robert, I'd be happy to try this but can you confirm a couple things first?
Is the CP4 connected to home wireless and in SF you are just specifying the IP and port of the CP4 to connect? If so, whats port should be used?
Lastly, what do I need to do to confirm the other park positions? Last night I was connected via USB to my Mac and I am pretty sure I parked it in position 3 but unsure if that has always been there. I can confirm again today.
Todd

midmoastro

I think I found the port. Give me a bit of time and I will try and confirm later today
Todd

midmoastro

Yes wireless connection works. After disconnecting i have options for
-Disconnect without Parking
-Park at Position 4
-Park at Position 3
-Park at Current Position

This using SkySafari 6 Pro on my Mac, version 6.8.1 (6810)

Robert Berta

Yes...that is same for my Android version of Sky Safari 6 Pro. Before we didn't have the options for parking other than one as I recall. Now when disconnecting it has the list of options. That is great as we have been asking for this from Sky Safari for a few years!

You said wireless works. Mine did before but would loose the connection often and usually you couldn't reconnect without closing SS an restarting which was obviously a royal PITA. To get around that I was using a SKY FI module rather than the AP wife version. The Sky Fi worked very well and at long distances but since I paid for that feature on my AP mount I was hoping it would get resolved. Others had the same issue but after many attempts at fixes it didn't get fixed until this latest release of the firmware update for the CP4.

I wonder if AP finally worked with Sky Safari programmers to solve the issue. In any case I am finally very happy that it seems to work well and the Park options is also fantastic.

I will do some more testing but looks good thus far. More testers would be welcome.. By the way the port is 23 on mine for wireless. The way you get the IP is described in the owners manual.....or you can use the utility that comes with the firmware full package update.

I love that I can run Maxim DL for all image acquisition with my laptop but control the mount with Sky Safari which I prefer over other alternatives..mainly because it has such a huge database and ease of use. I can also create a Android virtual computer on my Windows 10 PC and load Sky Safari Android version and run both the imaging program and telescope control from one computer if I wish. If I run the Android app on my cell phone or tablet, it is nice to leave the computer alone while does its scripted imaging gathering and I can go somewhere else and use the Android device to plan other targets or investigate various Sky Safari options at my leisure without worrying about messing up my image gathering accidently. When ready for next target just reconnect and I am good to go to next object.

For visual use for public events, being able to run the CP4 mount from my cell phone and Sky Safari 6 Pro is neat as I can show people more information, what is in the area, photos of the object, etc. on the cell phone or larger tablet.

Maybe Howard or Roland can weigh in on who came up with the fix for both so we can thank them!

Howard Hedlund

Hi Gentlemen!  I've been working with a team here at AP and a software developer from Sky Safari.  For the present, they have added Mach2 support, Park 3 and Park in place to the existing Park 4.  They also now have resume from last parked.  This should all prove a great benefit to Sky Safari users.
We have also learned through continued testing that one issue with the WiFi was too much signal!  Since you generally operate Sky Safari in very close proximity, much like our keypad, the best thing to do is to fold the antenna into its travel orientation.
Clear, Dark and Steady Skies!
Howard

Allen Ruckle

Yes and NO,

The upgrade for the iPad iOS  v 1.8.+  does everything added for my A-P Mach2 GTO.    I began to wonder if the Mac OS version would be updated with the new A-P features.

On March 31, the Mac OS version 1.8.0 was of SkySafari was released.   At first appears to have the A-P park Home, 3, & 4 positions added.  however upon trying it out with my MacBook Pro laptop I was surprised to find out that the selection of the Home Position goes to Position 4,   Selecting Park 3 goes to Park Position 4,   Selecting Park Positon 3.    It is nice to now be able to choose a park position on shut down but It would help if it parked in the position 3 when selecting position 3.   Since the A-P, APCC manual describes the Home Position as NCP with counterweight down, Sky Safari should send the scope position to NCP counterweight down.

On April 7th  an update to Sky Safari 1.8.0 was updated to 1.8.1,   However correcting the park positions was not included in that update for my MacBook pro with the Mach2 GTO attached.

I attempted to notify Simulation Curriculum of the issue on April 8th but my attempts to register an account to their SkySafari forum were not successful.

Howard, Please bring this issue to them since I have been unable to.

aruckle

ernie.mastroianni@...

I'm a Mach2 owner and use it with a MacBook Pro and iPhone and keypad hand controller. The recent upgrades to Sky Safari are a big improvement. I can use Sky Safari Plus to run the mount with my iPhone, even with no computer or keypad controller. The same with my Macbook. I've had occasional dropouts, but they seem to be related to the autolock on the phone, autosleep on the laptop, or conflicts with both the laptop and phone trying to simultaneously communicate to the CP5. When I keep just one device in constant active mode on the CP5 network, all seems fine.

However, there's a glitch in the disconnect commands while using my Macbook Pro with OSX Sierra (not the current OS).

1. when I request to park in its current position, it does, but stays connected.
2. When I request it to go to Park 3, it disconnects in place.
3. When I request it to disconnect at Park 4, it disconnects and slews to Park 3.
4. When I ask it to find Home, it disconnects and and then slews to Park 4.

Despite the command mix-ups, the mount does reconnect and accurately follows commands to any star or object. I've sent this info along the the Sky Safari folks.

Ernie Mastroianni
Milwaukee, Wis.

Robert Berta

The latest Sky Safari Pro release has a new issue with the time. You can set the time correctly but it will be an hour behind....(check at the upper right to see what time is shown). I have verified this with two different Android devices. Both had correct time before but now lagging one hour. For the time being you can just manually work around this. I am a BETA tester and have notified them of issue. If you have the notice that an update is available you may want to hold off a bit until it is addressed. I don't know if this is the same issue with the IOS version. I also don't know if the non BETA version has this or not as I have the BETA version.

George

Ernie,

We are investigating with Sky Safari to see if we can find a possible bug.

Regards,

George

George Whitney

Astro-Physics, Inc.

Phone:  815-222-6538 (direct line)

Phone:  815-282-1513 (office)

[...]

George. Thanks!! You are the hero in my book. Also ask about the issue listed in post #7956 above in this topic.

ernie.mastroianni@...

Thanks George!

Robert Berta

I notified Sky Safari folks about the time issue AND the incorrect time (I am a BETA tester for Sky Safari). They confirmed it and issued an update to correct it. So if you use Sky Safari Pro 6 update to latest version and the time issue is fixed. Haven't had a chance (due to rain and clouds) to verify if the park positions all work correctly...at least on the Android version.

Allen Ruckle

Howard,
     Since April 19th I have seen a few other people post about this issue of the park and home buttons in the MacOS version of Sky Safari not performing the Home, Park3 and Park 4 to the correct location.   Since that time SkySafari 6 Plus for Mac OS has been updated to 6.8.2.   It has taken a couple of weeks to test the new version with my MacBook Pro but today after testing it I found that  clicking on Park3 does no longer moves the telescope. Park 4 does go to the Park 3 position, Home telescope goes to park 4 position.     This testing was done using my MacBook Pro with High Sierra, and my Mac Mini with Big Sur  Mac OS 11.3.

I also ran the SkySafari 6 Plus iPad app on my M1 Mac Mini which works perfectly, just like it does on my iPad Pro.

Please let the people that are working with you on Sky Safari that it is still in need of being fixed on Mac OS 10.13  and Mac OS 11.3.1.

Thank You

aruckle

Howard Hedlund

I have been in contact with the the software developer assigned to work with us at Simulation Curriculum.   She has responded and is looking into the Mac OS issue.  This is not an issue with MacOS, nor an issue with GTOCPx Control Box Firmware.  It is probably a simple command off-by-one issue in Sky Safari due to the added Home command.  In her defense though, the developer was working somewhat blind with regard to the Mach2GTO.  The Mach2 is different from our other mounts, and she did not have one for testing.