Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter (got it off, grease?)

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi guys,
   So, after a few trepidatious taps with a mallet and a long T-handle allen wrench, I got off the adapter. Whew :)

I've always wanted to know this: Is it ok to put some grease or WD40 to the threads of the CW shaft to make screwing in the shaft smoother? Of course, I have on the back of my mind that grease and optics don't mix.

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 11:25:15 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The gearbox is not attached to the counterweight shaft adapter. Use a large Phillips head screw driver and tap it with a hammer in CCW direction.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 24, 2021 11:17 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter

Hi Roland,
   So I don't need to disengage the clutches or the gear box?

I can definitely tap with the best of 'em :)

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 10:08:48 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Tap the Allen wrench with a hammer and it will loosen the adapter.

Roland

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 24, 2021 8:42 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter

Hi guys,
   I just received the new AP1100 CW shaft adapter with SS insert and I want to replace the existing one without the SS insert. I removed the CW shaft and my telescope and then in the park 3 position,  I inserted an allen wrench into the holes of the adapter and applied some force. Nothing moved. I didn't want to apply more persuasion because I was afraid to damage the gears because the clutches were still engaged and so were the spring loaded gear boxes.

So before, I apply more persuasion, what is the safe way to do this without damaging anything?

Thanks for any advice.

cytan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

As long as you don't use the counterweight shaft to clean your optics, it should not matter if there is a bit of grease on the threads. You can also use a dry lubricant, which is less messy.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, May 28, 2021 9:06 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter (got it off, grease?)

Hi guys,
   So, after a few trepidatious taps with a mallet and a long T-handle allen wrench, I got off the adapter. Whew :)

I've always wanted to know this: Is it ok to put some grease or WD40 to the threads of the CW shaft to make screwing in the shaft smoother? Of course, I have on the back of my mind that grease and optics don't mix.

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 11:25:15 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

The gearbox is not attached to the counterweight shaft adapter. Use a large Phillips head screw driver and tap it with a hammer in CCW direction.

Roland

Hi Roland,

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 10:08:48 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Roland

Hi guys,
   I just received the new AP1100 CW shaft adapter with SS insert and I want to replace the existing one without the SS insert. I removed the CW shaft and my telescope and then in the park 3 position,  I inserted an allen wrench into the holes of the adapter and applied some force. Nothing moved. I didn't want to apply more persuasion because I was afraid to damage the gears because the clutches were still engaged and so were the spring loaded gear boxes.

So before, I apply more persuasion, what is the safe way to do this without damaging anything?

Thanks for any advice.

cytan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Cheng-Yang Tan

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 09:51:15 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

As long as you don't use the counterweight shaft to clean your optics, it should not matter if there is a bit of grease on the threads. You can also use a dry lubricant, which is less messy.

Rolando

Sent: Fri, May 28, 2021 9:06 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter (got it off, grease?)

Hi guys,

cytan

Roland

Hi Roland,

cytan

Roland

Hi guys,

Thanks for any advice.

cytan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

M Hambrick

I use a little bit of powdered graphite on the counterweight shaft threads.

Christopher Erickson

I would say to NEVER use WD-40 on anything on a telescope. It is a PENETRANT, not a LUBRICANT. It will penetrate into circuit boards and ruin them. It will penetrate under paint coatings and destroy them. It will penetrate into optical assemblies and contaminate them. It will destroy older-style coatings on vintage lenses. It is infamous for penetrating past primers and ruining ammunition stores. Used properly to break free rusted nuts on trucks and stuff is what it is meant for.

A small drop of Break-Free CLP is an excellent anti-galling lubricant for aluminum and stainless threaded things. Wipe away any excess that comes out of the threads. If you leave too much of it in threads, it could wick out a bit and spread around. Although it is not a penetrant.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Fri, May 28, 2021, 6:07 AM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

Cheng-Yang Tan

Thanks for the warning about WD40. That's another reason to ask here because I'm really not mechanically inclined.

cytan

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 04:38:55 PM CDT, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

I would say to NEVER use WD-40 on anything on a telescope. It is a PENETRANT, not a LUBRICANT. It will penetrate into circuit boards and ruin them. It will penetrate under paint coatings and destroy them. It will penetrate into optical assemblies and contaminate them. It will destroy older-style coatings on vintage lenses. It is infamous for penetrating past primers and ruining ammunition stores. Used properly to break free rusted nuts on trucks and stuff is what it is meant for.

A small drop of Break-Free CLP is an excellent anti-galling lubricant for aluminum and stainless threaded things. Wipe away any excess that comes out of the threads. If you leave too much of it in threads, it could wick out a bit and spread around. Although it is not a penetrant.

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Don Anderson

Hello Cytan
I wouldn't bother putting anything on the threads. If you are worried about the CW shaft getting stuck to the adaptor, use some anti seize compound and put it on the shoulder of the shaft and/or the mating surface of the adaptor. Better yet, use one of APs Delrin washers and you will never have a problem. If you are worried about wearing out the threads (could take 50yrs to do that) you could put a small amount of 3 in One oil on the threads. If you want an anti seize compound, Christopher has recommended a god one. Also, if you are near a marine store, you can get anti seize compound at any marine or automotive supply store.
My advice is worth as much as Christopher's!Emoji

Don Anderson

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 03:42:19 p.m. MDT, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299@...> wrote:

Thanks for the warning about WD40. That's another reason to ask here because I'm really not mechanically inclined.

cytan

On Friday, May 28, 2021, 04:38:55 PM CDT, Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

I hope this helps.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

Roger Howard

I have to chime in here for posterity.  I just got my mount a few months ago with the new CW shaft and the Delrin spacer installed and just had my manhood called into question trying to remove the counterweight shaft.  After about 20 minutes I had to call my neighbor to help me get the thing removed.  I have now placed a few drops of Hoppes #9 firearm lubricant on the threads and I will report back here at a later time if this doesn't help.  Next I'm going to try one of those ninja claw training devices from the back of a comic book to improve my grip strength :)

Roland Christen

What mount, and do you have the steel insert?
Putting some ice on the cwt shaft will cause it to shrink slightly and it might come free that way.

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Jun 1, 2021 6:12 pm

I have to chime in here for posterity.  I just got my mount a few months ago with the new CW shaft and the Delrin spacer installed and just had my manhood called into question trying to remove the counterweight shaft.  After about 20 minutes I had to call my neighbor to help me get the thing removed.  I have now placed a few drops of Hoppes #9 firearm lubricant on the threads and I will report back here at a later time if this doesn't help.  Next I'm going to try one of those ninja claw training devices from the back of a comic book to improve my grip strength :)

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roger Howard

1100GTO.  I got it free with the help of my neighbor, but just wanted to post that I used some lube on the insert to hopefully keep it from happening again.  Yes, I do have the insert.

Roland Christen

WoW, you have a generous neighbor to give you a mount for free. Stuck out tongue winking eye

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Jun 1, 2021 8:39 pm

1100GTO.  I got it free with the help of my neighbor, but just wanted to post that I used some lube on the insert to hopefully keep it from happening again.  Yes, I do have the insert.

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

W Hilmo

That was exactly how I read it the first time…

From: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io> On Behalf Of Roland Christen via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 6:46 PM

WoW, you have a generous neighbor to give you a mount for free. Stuck out tongue winking eye

Rolando

Sent: Tue, Jun 1, 2021 8:39 pm

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Konstantin von Poschinger

Hi,

if you have trouble loosing the counter weight shaft, use a mounted counter weight and turn that till the shaft get loosened!

Grüsse

Konstantin

Konstantin v. Poschinger

Hammerichstr. 5
22605 Hamburg
040/8805747
0171/1983476

Am 02.06.2021 um 03:39 schrieb Roger Howard <cargostick@...>: