Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi guys,
   I just received the new AP1100 CW shaft adapter with SS insert and I want to replace the existing one without the SS insert. I removed the CW shaft and my telescope and then in the park 3 position,  I inserted an allen wrench into the holes of the adapter and applied some force. Nothing moved. I didn't want to apply more persuasion because I was afraid to damage the gears because the clutches were still engaged and so were the spring loaded gear boxes.

So before, I apply more persuasion, what is the safe way to do this without damaging anything?

Thanks for any advice.

cytan

Dale Ghent

You just need more leverage than what an allen wrench can provide. Use a longer device, such as a long phillips head screw driver, instead.

On May 24, 2021, at 09:42, Cheng-Yang Tan via groups.io <cytan299=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi guys,
I just received the new AP1100 CW shaft adapter with SS insert and I want to replace the existing one without the SS insert. I removed the CW shaft and my telescope and then in the park 3 position, I inserted an allen wrench into the holes of the adapter and applied some force. Nothing moved. I didn't want to apply more persuasion because I was afraid to damage the gears because the clutches were still engaged and so were the spring loaded gear boxes.

So before, I apply more persuasion, what is the safe way to do this without damaging anything?

Thanks for any advice.

cytan

Roland Christen

Tap the Allen wrench with a hammer and it will loosen the adapter.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-gto.groups.io
Sent: Mon, May 24, 2021 8:42 am
Subject: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter

Hi guys,
   I just received the new AP1100 CW shaft adapter with SS insert and I want to replace the existing one without the SS insert. I removed the CW shaft and my telescope and then in the park 3 position,  I inserted an allen wrench into the holes of the adapter and applied some force. Nothing moved. I didn't want to apply more persuasion because I was afraid to damage the gears because the clutches were still engaged and so were the spring loaded gear boxes.

Thanks for any advice.

cytan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Cheng-Yang Tan

Hi Roland,
   So I don't need to disengage the clutches or the gear box?

I can definitely tap with the best of 'em :)

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 10:08:48 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Roland

Hi guys,

Thanks for any advice.

cytan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

Roland Christen

The gearbox is not attached to the counterweight shaft adapter. Use a large Phillips head screw driver and tap it with a hammer in CCW direction.

Roland

To: main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 24, 2021 11:17 am
Subject: Re: [ap-gto] Question: How do I safety replace the CW shaft adapter

Hi Roland,
   So I don't need to disengage the clutches or the gear box?

I can definitely tap with the best of 'em :)

cytan

On Monday, May 24, 2021, 10:08:48 AM CDT, Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Roland

Hi guys,

Thanks for any advice.

cytan

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics

--
Roland Christen
Astro-Physics