Question about the Adapter for the Losmandy polar scope.

Ron Yates

Good evening all.  I have been lurking in the background for a few weeks trying to learn about the AP gtos because our astronomical society recently was given on loan an AP1200GTO.  We have a Losmandy G11 that carries a classic 1986 AP 142mm f7 Starfire which we love dearly.  When we discovered that AP sells an adapter that allows one to use a Losmandy polar scope (which we have) on the 1200 GTO we purchased one, or rather, one of our members purchased one for us.  It arrived at our observatory this last Saturday.  But when I attempted to use it, its construction made no sense to me or anyone else there.  The part number is Q8140-A.  The problem is that we definitely have a 1200GTO.  That is what it says on the plaque, and what the owner told us it was.  The manual description fits it perfectly.  However, when I look at the pictures of the two adapters sold on the AP web site, it now appears that the part that is needed looks exactly like the other adapter.  In other words, our mount has large female threads, exactly like the male threads on one end of this first adapter, but there is no way to fit it to the Losmandy polar scope on the other end of the adapter.  The losmandy polar scope has a female threaded ring that has exactly the same female threads as is on our mount.  So it would seem that what is needed is exactly like the other adapter, which has the part number Q16030 because it has those same male threads on both ends.  That part, it says on the web site, is made for the 1100 and the 1600, not the 1200.  Has anyone else had this problem?  What am I missing?

Ronnie Yates

Ron Yates

Here is a photo of the plate on the mount.  It is definitely a 1200.

Peter Nagy

According to A-P web site for Q8140-A adapter at https://www.astro-physics.com/q8140-a , it says:

"Please note that we cannot guarantee that the adapter will fit all Losmandy polar scopes from prior years."

Peter

Ron Yates

Edited

One would think that AP has smart people in their employ that would note that the other adapter has threads that fit these polar scopes "from prior years".  Then they could point out on their web site "by the way, if you have a Losmandy polar scope from prior years (whatever that means), you can use the other adapter".

So my question is, if we ship the one we bought back to AP, will they give us credit towards purchasing the other adapter?  And that leads to the critical question, are those large threads on the other adapter in fact the same as the large threads on the Q8140-A?  And are they the same on either end of the adapter?  Our polar scope has the same female threads that are on the 1200GTO.  So we need an adapter that has the same matching male threads on both ends of the adapter.

Jeffc

Probably they’ll take a return exchange.  You should call AP.

I have an AP1200 and a losmandy polar scope.   I also had an AP900 first that I used the Losmandy polar scope.

I vaguely recall There was a part I had to remove from the AP900 polar scope and use it with the AP1200.   There was a part I thought was part of the polar scope but it wasn’t.  Back then Marj removed the confusion for me.

Later I added a RPA polar scope.   The RPA uses a different RA axis plate/cover.  Make sure your mount doesn’t have the RPA compatible plate.  The RPA back plate has (iirc) three holes for mounting the RPA.  The older one does not.
AFAIK the RPA back plate is not (might not?) compatible with the losmandy polar scope.

-jeff

On Jun 7, 2021, at 8:06 PM, Ron Yates <orogenicman@...> wrote:

One would think that AP has smart people in their employ that would note that the other adapter has threads that fit these polar scopes "from prior years".  Then they could point out on their web site "by the way, if you have a Losmandy polar scope from prior years (whatever that means), you can use the other adapter.

So my question is, if we ship the one we bought back to AP, will they give us credit towards purchasing the other adapter?  And that leads to the critical question, are those large threads on the other adapter in fact the same as the large threads on the Q8140-A?  And are they the same on either end of the adapter?  Our polar scope has the same female threads that are on the 1200GTO.  So we need an adapter that has the same matching male threads on both ends of the adapter.

Ron Yates

Actually, upon checking at the Losmandy web site, our polar scope IS the one that they currently sell.  So the idea that we are using a 'prior' model is not the right answer.  Moreover, I own a scope that I purchased in 2009.  The scope the society owns was purchased 2 years ago.  Both are the exact same scope, and both are the same as what is currently being sold.  The only difference is that mine had the previous illuminator that was sold with it, which I have since replaced with the new one.

Robert

You'll need part # M4037 in addition to the Q8140 you already have.  I believe this originally came with the mount so someone must have removed it somewhere along the years.
M4037 will thread into the shaft end of the 1200 and then the Q8140/polarscope combo will thread into that.

Robert

George

Ron,

If you have questions, call me.