Process for updating to ASCOM 6.5 SP1 with APCC Pro

Patrick Spencer

Now that Ray has given the green light to use ASCOM 6.5 SP1 with APCC, I figured I would take the plunge and update. I am currently running ASCOM 6.4.

What is the best procedure for updating ASCOM and applications such as APCC Pro, N.I.N.A., ZWO drivers, etc? Should I just install the ASCOM package on top of my existing setup (I hope)? Or should I uninstall everything and do a "clean install" from scratch (I hope not)? Something in the middle?

I know this forum is specific to AP, so I certainly don't expect advice about updating every product I use. First and foremost I want to make sure the upgrade doesn't break APCC Pro, since it's a foundational element of my current setup.

Thanks for any guidance,

Patrick Spencer

Dale Ghent

On Jan 5, 2021, at 14:04, Patrick Spencer <patrick.spencer2@comcast.net> wrote:

Now that Ray has given the green light to use ASCOM 6.5 SP1 with APCC, I figured I would take the plunge and update. I am currently running ASCOM 6.4.

What is the best procedure for updating ASCOM and applications such as APCC Pro, N.I.N.A., ZWO drivers, etc? Should I just install the ASCOM package on top of my existing setup (I hope)? Or should I uninstall everything and do a "clean install" from scratch (I hope not)? Something in the middle?
Just install the ASCOM 6.5sp1 package directly. The ASCOM updates are designed to be applied over any existing one and there's no need for superstitious maneuvers such as uninstalling the world in order to appease it.

The only special consideration is if you are a user of POTH. POTH was deprecated with ASCOM 6.5 in favor of its new functional replacement, Device Hub. POTH is still available in the ASCOM 6.5 installers as an optional component, however. So if you're a POTH user and not quite ready to immediately convert to Device Hub, be sure to designate POTH for installation in the installer's options so that you still have it after the upgrade. You can then convert over to Device Hub at your leisure.

/dale

Emilio J. Robau, P.E.

I love the term superstitious maneuvers.   I am going to use that more frequently.  Personally, I stand on one foot facing north with my head tilted at a 45 degree angle whenever I install any astronomy software, except of course updates to APCC, Pempro and anything Ray has written.  Maybe I will throw in Software Bisque in there also.  Anything else gets the normal stance.  Plus I restart twice.  Yes, just installing the latest over what you have should work.

Roland Christen

You should also howl at the Moon when installing software. It helps tremendously.

I love the term superstitious maneuvers.   I am going to use that more frequently.  Personally, I stand on one foot facing north with my head tilted at a 45 degree angle whenever I install any astronomy software, except of course updates to APCC, Pempro and anything Ray has written.  Maybe I will throw in Software Bisque in there also.  Anything else gets the normal stance.  Plus I restart twice.  Yes, just installing the latest over what you have should work.

Patrick Spencer

Awesome, that was the answer I was hoping for! Thanks for taking the time to respond Dale. I very much value your insights.

Patrick