problem with mount resetting...

Todd Gross <toddg@...>

My mount is still resetting (A/P 600 GTO) Out of nowhere it just
resets and keeps running, but loses it's whereabouts. I am now using
a different battery (suspecting fluctuating voltage in the old) and
am going to swtich to a new cable tonight. If it keeps happening, is
there a cure short of sending it to a/p ?

thanks

Todd

Paul Gustafson <drgus@...>

Another possible problem is the cigarette lighter adapter connection. Every
alligator clip-to-female-cig-adapter I have seen was very cheaply made and
doesn't give a positive connection. I took my 32 amp hour battery to a
custom stereo store and explained the problem. For a reasonable price, they
ran very heavy gauge wire from the battery terminals to special snap-lock
connectors, and wired the mating connectors to the ends of my AP power
cable, Kendrick controller, power inverter. There's absolutely no way to
screw up, and each connection locks solidly with a positive audible "snap."

The low quality cig adapter fried my Daystar filter (egads!) and prompted my
search for a better setup.

Gus

--- In ap-gto@egroups.com, "Paul Gustafson" <drgus@e...> wrote:
[...]

Paul..
this may be my problem, I'm not sure, but I have now had too many
glitches using this stupid alligator clips on too many DC items to
ignore it or rule it out. I can't picture exactly what you did, but
I'm wondering if there is an off the shelf solution?

Todd

Paul Gustafson <drgus@...>

Todd,

My description isn't very clear. I don't have a web page (yet) so I loaded a
few pictures of it into Photopoint. Go to
http://www.photopoint.com/
Visit albums, use my e-mail address ( drgus@erols.com ) and go to the album
"Battery."

Gus

[...]

John J. Kasianowicz <surpher@...>

Hi Paul,

Nice pix. Do the connectors have a tradename?

Best,
John

Paul Gustafson <drgus@...>

Nice pix. Do the connectors have a tradename?
Thanks. New digital camera. :-)

The box they put my old parts in says "Anderson Power Products, Div. of
Anderson Interconnect, Inc., 13 Pratts Junction Road, Sterling, MA 01564,
SB-50A Conn #10 Gray, made with V0 material, part 6319G1."

I am assuming it's the box one of the connectors came in, as it's the right
size.

Gus

Terry R. Friedrichsen <terry@...>

Nice pix. Do the connectors have a tradename?
The box they put my old parts in says "Anderson Power Products, Div. of
Anderson Interconnect, Inc., 13 Pratts Junction Road, Sterling, MA 01564,
These folks are at www.andersonpower.com - searching for "6319" will lead
you to the right catalog page. 6319G1s come in gray or red. The gray ones
are for 10/12 AWG wire, and the red ones are for 6-gauge.

Interestingly, I just ran across these connectors myself (or at least their
twins - they look identical). They are used to connect the battery in the
UPSes I use for my Unix machines.

Terry R. Friedrichsen

terry@venus.sunquest.com

Chris Spratt

I would check the cigarette "plugin" end as the AP power cord is a bit weak in
this point. The spring-loaded "button" on this end on two of my Ap400 cords went
in and wouldn't come back out. I lost the connection as a result. I took the
cord to a local electronic firm and they installed a more "robust" fused piece
and it even has a small light.

This DC cord in my opinion is the weakest part of the AP mounts. (I had a
similar problem with the DC power cord on my SBIG CCD. Ive gone through 2 in a
year and I'm very, very careful!)

Whatever you do just watch the polarity.

Todd Gross wrote:

My mount is still resetting (A/P 600 GTO) Out of nowhere it just
resets and keeps running, but loses it's whereabouts. I am now using
a different battery (suspecting fluctuating voltage in the old) and
am going to swtich to a new cable tonight. If it keeps happening, is
there a cure short of sending it to a/p ?

thanks

Todd

Win an iMac computer from The Apples in stereo and other
FREE great stuff at RollingStone.com!
http://click.egroups.com/1/4023/5/_/3615/_/958387155/

Paul Gustafson <drgus@...>

The box they put my old parts in says "Anderson Power Products, Div. of
Anderson Interconnect, Inc., 13 Pratts Junction Road, Sterling, MA 01564,
SB-50A Conn #10 Gray, made with V0 material, part 6319G1."
See:

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipoles/sbmain.html

It has pictures, heat rise curves, specs, etc. A high-tech little connector.

Gus

Tim Khan

I've been using the Anderson Single Powerpole Series
PP15 ever since I received my mount (Nov. 98). The
only problem is that the Silver in the Anderson
connectors will tarnish and will have to be cleaned
periodically.

The Singles PP that I use are stackable, the
individual connectors lock togeather to make polarized
plugs, and they can be stacked in an "array" for
multiple power outlets, which is the feature I like.

Tim

http://im.yahoo.com/